Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What You Think Of This

I called at quite a few timpsons, and none of them could cut a key like ours..

Tried a few shoe repairer type shops, with the same result...

Then tried a local locksmiths today... yes he said, but explained about the imobilliser chip etc, where I told him about the folding key blanks on eBay...

Anyway, he said so long as it was the same size and type, then he could cut it for £4.50... result !

These folding keys do look a bit big, but seem about the same size as the folding key for my Daughters Astra...

John

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just sourced two spare keys myself cost as follows:

Blank cases: £5each

Cutting £15.95 (£10-£20, it varies)

Transponder chips: 2 for £30 - eBay.

Programming - DIY - FREE

I did have only one master key, i now have 3, fully functional, total cost = about £60 (for TWO keys) - not a dealer in sight (quote around £200 each)!

NB: it seems two button keys can be programmed as masters, although a standard master key will always have 3 buttons.

My new Switchblade key turned up yesterday, and had it cut today for £4.50.. I notice some of you guys are paying over the odds for key cutting... this was a computerised laser key cutter jobby, and only took a minute..

I also cut about 8mm off the length, before it was cut, as it was a bit longer than my original..

You will also notice it came supplied with two stickers, the lexus logo being a metal badge.

pics..

key1.jpg

key2.jpg

key3.jpg

John

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got myself one of these baby's, getting it cut wasnt half awkward though, tried both the local timpsons in Aberdeen, both refused - had a barny with the guy <_< because another LOC member got theirs cut at the same place, that got me nowhere so went to another key cutter on george st by the way for anyone in Abdn & got it done with a laser cutter, wish I aked for a price though before I agreed to getting it cut because I got stung grrrrrrr.

Finally got myself one of these baby's, getting it cut wasnt half awkward though, tried both the local timpsons in Aberdeen, both refused - had a barny with the guy <_< because another LOC member got theirs cut at the same place, that got me nowhere so went to another key cutter on george st by the way for anyone in Abdn & got it done with a laser cutter, wish I aked for a price though before I agreed to getting it cut because I got stung grrrrrrr.

No one should be paying more than about a tenner to get a key laser cut for their car.

I had mine done in London at a local lock smith for £9.50. Took me 5 mins using google to find a lock smith with a laser cutter. I had to call around a few, as some said they couldnt do it, but just ask them if they can recommend someone who can do it.

Timpsons, but the sounds of what i've read on this board, are hit and miss. Go to a general locksmiths, there should be plenty you can find on Yell.co.uk or Upmystreet.co.uk

No one should be paying more than about a tenner to get a key laser cut for their car.

I had mine done in London at a local lock smith for £9.50. Took me 5 mins using google to find a lock smith with a laser cutter. I had to call around a few, as some said they couldnt do it, but just ask them if they can recommend someone who can do it.

Timpsons, but the sounds of what i've read on this board, are hit and miss. Go to a general locksmiths, there should be plenty you can find on Yell.co.uk or Upmystreet.co.uk

i cant find any laser keycutting places around surrey might have to travel around - where was the one in london?

i cant find any laser keycutting places around surrey might have to travel around - where was the one in london?

There are 2 near me - Fortress Lock and Safe Co in Stockwell and Autokeys, who were located in Wandsworth but were shutting up the shop when i went in, for good by the looks of things.

Ok i finally got mine done from a mobile guy in guildford it wasnt cheap as some of your but im happy its done he charged me £25 but that was for cutting 2 blades and he done it via lazer cutter, now just need to program them B)