Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

not been around in a while, and when i was, i remember people complaining about teh IS220d MPG - can anyone give me an idea to the real extra urban MPG you are achieving? Or should i just look at the BMW/VAG stable instead?

If the mileage is all you care for, then go for Audi or BMW. While I'm happy with the 45+ MPG that I can get from my 220d Sport (about 90 % extra urban), I'm pretty sure the Germans would give me 50+. Maybe even 55.

I don't have the sports model but I wholeheartedly agree with the above ...I drive on country roads in the West of Ireland have done 33,000+ klms IS 220D overall average 46.3 mpg.

I seldom drive over 60 mph

If you've done your homework and you like the Audi/BMW well then there's no more to be said...Buy it.

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Germans, although do your homeowrk on the exact engine and even gearbox (I'm thinking DSG here) to ensure you buy the one that is best suited to you, your uses and needs.

is220d sport - computer says 32mpg. mixture of motorways and city. mostly motorway though.

dont usually go above 80 on the motorway. in town all speed limits respected.

using any kind of diesel - not noticed any difference between any of the many brands.

and a fair bit of oil too.

(5th injector replaced a while back - only difference i noticed that the car then went above 20mph :-)

22-25 in town only

34-38 mixed currently

42-44 motorway only, all from manual calcs. trip is +-%

Lexus is apparently the cleanest, but for economy I'd go for the germans every time. Even a BM 320i petrol (170) will smash the 220d.

240 miles yesterday, mostly motorway (75%) and national speed limit A roads (20% - +5% for town drowing), no traffic holdups at all. Averaged speeds of 48mph there and 46mph on the way back and no stops at all, and used 5th mainly, plus 6th a few times at motorway speeds plus cruise only sparingly. I was trying to get th best fuel economy....

And the Fuel consumption over the journey?

39.9mpg...in my reckoning that's dropped 20% compared to after having the 5th injector replaced 12 months and 8000 miles ago. The car was giving me high 40's mpg after that injector change - and now seems to have dropped off....Don't know whether I should wait for the March service or complain now...??

PS - this is worrying me immnsely - espcially as the warranty will be out in 14 months. Unless Lexus honour fre fixes out of arranty, it'll get expensive...Makes me start thinking about changing cars again.

22-25 in town only

34-38 mixed currently

Lexus is apparently the cleanest, but for economy I'd go for the germans every time. Even a BM 320i petrol (170) will smash the 220d.

240 miles yesterday, mostly motorway (75%) and national speed limit A roads (20% - +5% for town drowing), no traffic holdups at all. Averaged speeds of 48mph there and 46mph on the way back and no stops at all, and used 5th mainly, plus 6th a few times at motorway speeds plus cruise only sparingly. I was trying to get th best fuel economy....

39.9mpg...in my reckoning that's dropped 20% compared to after having the 5th injector replaced 12 months and 8000 miles ago. The car was giving me high 40's mpg after that injector change - and now seems to have dropped off....Don't know whether I should wait for the March service or complain now...??

PS - this is worrying me immnsely - espcially as the warranty will be out in 14 months. Unless Lexus honour fre fixes out of arranty, it'll get expensive...Makes me start thinking about changing cars again.

I did a round trip to Birmingham on Tuesday 390 miles, with 310 miles motoraw. Set cruise to 80 and returned 37.6mpg. Not bad for a petrol engine

22-25 in town only

34-38 mixed currently

I did a round trip to Birmingham on Tuesday 390 miles, with 310 miles motoraw. Set cruise to 80 and returned 37.6mpg. Not bad for a petrol engine

Now I feel so much better :shutit:

What I'm perplexed about is how some 220d's are so much worse than others. There has to be a flaw in the build, location, design etc. especially when you consider that some of thye cars get through 5th injectors and others don't....

I'm 100% sure that it's not me - i could get almost 800 miles out of my old A4 PDi/130, so i do know how to drive diesels (driven them for many years).

Fidgits - sorry this has becom another winge about fuel economy thread - in answer to your question, go buy some thing german. It'll be bigger (boot and seating/leg room), probably more economical, quieter engine, but will be less well equipped and more of them on the road (that's my honest answer after almost 2 years ownership).

One good thing - most of the rattles inside have gone - notice how much more milder it' been?

do i see our mate ian coming back to us?

Not on the above evidence mate :winky:

Sorry but very tempted by the 530D M Sport... as fast as my S3 with 42MPG..

failing that, a 320d for 60+ mpg motorway mileage...

Or screw it all and get an exige :lol:

This week, i tested my 220d at 0200 on the a38, derby to lichfield, about 20 miles

cruise set at 60mph on speedo. both runs in 5th gear. no fans or aircon on, both days weather was about the same.

wednesday, 49mpg

thursday 42 mpg

is this normal, or indicative of a problem? It's in for service on weds this week so any input would be appreciated

friday, i did the same in 6th & got 48mpg...not really recommended as the revs are a bit low !

Tank average for this week (400 miles) is 44.6. I dont go over 70 though !

Just returned from a fairly long trip which included driving back from Redruth in Cornwall to Leeds via Heathrow Airport - around 500 miles - it says I achieved 44.6mpg which I don't think is too bad at all.

Jamboo , mine was in for its 20k service last week ,complained again about fuel economy as i regularly see below 30mpg in fact over 30 is party time . they did all the ecu mods and stuff last time so they say but i saw no difference to the car at all , this time the servic manager came to see me when i picked it up .

He declared they have fixed the MPG ? really ? i asked how ? ,the service manager said , i drove it !!

he did a short run and managed 43mpg ?

well for a start its supposed to do 50mpg secondly i then tried the same driving style ,no more than 1500 to 2k revs , etc etc , i got 37mpg ,and as i stoped at a set of lights it was dropping , the queue of traffic behind me was huge ,and people kept overtaking as if i had a problem .

I told him i thought his reply was wrong , the curtersy car i got was reading tank ave of 30.9 when i got in it , the service magae complained that as soon as anyone else borrows his car ,his 43mpg falls to low 30's and tbh i am getting seriously ****** off with lexus .

He dismissed the auto express reports about toyota admitting fuel economy issues with lexus 220d's ,and they have tried to sort my car before / why as its the same now as it was then ,and now he tells me its " me enjoying the performance"

i wish they would just admit that its rubbish .... i have thrashed my old leon tdi and got over 40mpg , i drove a big 3.0 auto diesel merc for 8k miles and averaged 34mpg ,i have driven BMW's and audi diesels and none have ever given this bad economy , our modified elise is more frugal and runs on cheaper unleaded even our 30 year old 911 give similar mpg to the lexus round town , i really really hate the blatent ignorance of lexus dealers that there is an issue .

in fact i really thing that watchdog or one of the motoring programs should really pic this one up ,and shame lexus into sorting it , even if they have to drop euro 5 and go euro 4 i mean its not even clean on CO2 ..... the new 320d makes the 220d look like a gas guzzling tank by comparison ..... the cars great but boy doe this make me |ANGRY

Harv,

I think Matus is correct in a previous thread. As the diesels get cleaner, the difference between Petrol and diesel gets too close for comfort. My next car will not be a diesel or a Hybrid for that matter. The simple maths don't really add up any more unless you do a heap of miles. Diesel used to be cheaper at the pumps, now it is 5% more expensive. The cleaner the diesel emissions and the bigger the DTurbo, the less MPG you get and Petrol cars are cleaner and getting more and economical all of the time.

I am rarely seeing 40+mpg.

You can only really get a good feel over at least 50 consistent miles.

Harv,

I think Matus is correct in a previous thread. As the diesels get cleaner, the difference between Petrol and diesel gets too close for comfort. My next car will not be a diesel or a Hybrid for that matter. The simple maths don't really add up any more unless you do a heap of miles. Diesel used to be cheaper at the pumps, now it is 5% more expensive. The cleaner the diesel emissions and the bigger the DTurbo, the less MPG you get and Petrol cars are cleaner and getting more and economical all of the time.

yeah, i have to be honest - doing research it isnt just the Lexus that doesnt live up to the diesel MPG claims - especially when you throw in performance-type diesels...

The fact is - it sounds like an IS220d would cost me the same in fuel as the S3 - seeing how i get 33/34 MPG on a motorway run - so high 30's in a derv will cost the same..

Harv,

yeah, i have to be honest - doing research it isnt just the Lexus that doesnt live up to the diesel MPG claims - especially when you throw in performance-type diesels...

The fact is - it sounds like an IS220d would cost me the same in fuel as the S3 - seeing how i get 33/34 MPG on a motorway run - so high 30's in a derv will cost the same..

That is exactly the point. It is marginal now, and with the Petrol cars you can have so much choice in transmissions etc.

My uncle has the new 320i Coupe, and he has a 100 mile daily return commute to work. He drives it at the legal limit, with Cruise on where possible, 90% motorway and he gets trip computer shown 55ishmpg, real at the pumps between 50 and 51 mpg. The amazing thing is that it is an Auto...also less Co2 than the 220d, and next to none in the shape of local pollutants...

When you consider that Petrol is cheaper by 5%, it's a no brainer...especially if you do lots of motorway crunching....

Good luck with whatever you decide buddy...

today I drove 50kms (31.25 miles) on country roads. Moderate side wind.

Speed: 50-70kph in villages, 90-100kph outside. I was driving easy, did two overtakes (lorries). The road was mostly with hills (up and down, up and down...) Haven't used the 6th.

I reset the AVG meter before the drive.

It showed 5.4 at the end (52mpg).

today I drove 50kms (31.25 miles) on country roads. Moderate side wind.

Speed: 50-70kph in villages, 90-100kph outside. I was driving easy, did two overtakes (lorries). The road was mostly with hills (up and down, up and down...) Haven't used the 6th.

I reset the AVG meter before the drive.

It showed 5.4 at the end (52mpg).

mataus i wish i could have the car or the fuel you have .....

we run an elise sport 160 34mpg + all day long

1979 3.0sc porsche 25 to 27mpg all the time

pug 205gti 30mpg all the time

lexus 22d regularly 27 to 29mpg over 30 mpg is a real bonus and it a modern turbo diesel , its utterly rubbish .

i remeber thrashing a 730d when they first came out 5 years ago and thinking it was thristy at 26mpg , but it was huge .

i am going to try the new 123d coupe as its not alot smaller than my lexus ,faster and alot cleaner and more economical ok even in msport spec the price is similar to the lexus but it will cost 900 quid for leather , i do 40k a year so that will be paid for in no time ,and the milage is the reason i have a diesel primary car.

in fact if i add what i do in the other cars its maybe 50k a year .

Today we picked up a new Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDi (170bhp) Quattro (bit of a mouthful that) so it will be interesting to see what average fuel consumption that returns over the next 3 months or so. The power is similar to the Lexus 220d and although the A3 is a bit smaller and lighter I figure this advantage will be offset by the quattro set up. So far it's showing 26.3 mpg average - I'm sure that will improve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links