Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had a good experience the other day, too. I filled the tank on my way home. It was really slippery so I had to drive extra carefully the remaining 25 miles or so. When I got home, the tank AVG showed 5.5 (51.4 MPG). Now, the driving was gentle but the conditions were less than optimal which should have shown in the consumption. I think my mileage is actually improving when the car is getting closer to 15000 miles. Getting about 48 MPG regularly, ~90 % highway and A-roads and ~10 % urban.

• 3 months later...
Today we picked up a new Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDi (170bhp) Quattro (bit of a mouthful that) so it will be interesting to see what average fuel consumption that returns over the next 3 months or so. The power is similar to the Lexus 220d and although the A3 is a bit smaller and lighter I figure this advantage will be offset by the quattro set up. So far it's showing 26.3 mpg average - I'm sure that will improve.

I'm only getting about 40MPG from my A4 2.0TDI (170)..

I had a good experience the other day, too. I filled the tank on my way home. It was really slippery so I had to drive extra carefully the remaining 25 miles or so. When I got home, the tank AVG showed 5.5 (51.4 MPG). Now, the driving was gentle but the conditions were less than optimal which should have shown in the consumption. I think my mileage is actually improving when the car is getting closer to 15000 miles. Getting about 48 MPG regularly, ~90 % highway and A-roads and ~10 % urban.

I'm not joking, I am starting to think that you and Mateus are driving completely different cars to the rest of us . I have never seen any better than 6.5l per 100km even on a country run.

I got a nice letter today from my dealer advising me that my 20,000km service is due and I should get it done with a lexus dealer etc because it may affect the resale value etc. Pity i got it done four months ago. No mention of my ongoing paint problems though or a fix for same. Lexus service is almost as good as BMW.

I'm not joking, I am starting to think that you and Mateus are driving completely different cars to the rest of us . I have never seen any better than 6.5l per 100km even on a country run.

I got a nice letter today from my dealer advising me that my 20,000km service is due and I should get it done with a lexus dealer etc because it may affect the resale value etc. Pity i got it done four months ago. No mention of my ongoing paint problems though or a fix for same. Lexus service is almost as good as BMW.

Hi Barry,

Living in the West...Galway...lots of rural driving seldom over 60mph see signature below for mpg.

I know you're on the east coast maybe a lot of your driving is in congested traffic...in which case your 220D will GULP diesel..!!!

It's not just me and Matus, there's also at least VrmmVrmm and GJD getting that kind of readings. And many, many more outside the LOC community, I'm sure. I think no one will disagree when I say it's not simple getting that kind of mileage out of a 220d. The conditions must be right and the driving style pretty meticulous. Sadly, it seems many are not able to get there no matter what and the reason for this is pretty much the Holy Grail of truth.

yes, I am pretty sure I drive different than you - faster, because our speed limit in city is 60kph and police tolerates +10kph, so I drive 70kph in the city, 100kph country roads and 140kph on the highway

I do around 30000 miles per year, mainly M25 and A roads and I have averaged 38mpg over past 2 years.

But I had a service last week and the loan car averaged 42mpg for the same journey.

I discussed this with one of the salesman, who said that the car was a facelift version with an improved fuel consumption.

Has anyone else heard of this improvement ?

I pick up my second IS220 d SEL MM next week :) , in Caspian Sky with Wessex interior and Baransu wheels (after a 14 week wait), I hope the fuel consumption has improved. :winky:

Can i pick you up on one of the comments made here guys, something that really got me thinking.

As i understand it, using 5th gear is best when driving on a motorway, 6th if the revs dont fall too low. Can you tell me how low would you consider it to be too low and perhaps put stress on the engine?

Can i pick you up on one of the comments made here guys, something that really got me thinking.

As i understand it, using 5th gear is best when driving on a motorway, 6th if the revs dont fall too low. Can you tell me how low would you consider it to be too low and perhaps put stress on the engine?

Go by the owners handbook - it clearly states that using 6th below 75 is not recommended. So for the UK RTR it really is a 5 speed car.

Down hill you can use it at 58mph on mine....but the rev's are like idle speed (1000ish). So there is no turbo boost at all, and if you hit a gradient (even a flat road) it must feel like the engine is pulling a 38 tonner...

Even at 70mph, there is little useable felxibility in 6th. A point made already is very true - the car feels as if it needs a another cog at 5th @ 70, but 6th is just a bridge too far...

For those of you who drive at 60mph or below, 5th is fine and you will get 50+mpg (any diesel in this category should smash 50mpg, the Lexus will just do it...). I tried it - 25 miles of the M11 at 59mph behind an Artic in 5th, cruise where practicable, AC off - the car managed 53.3mpg (edit accoding to the TC). This was when it had 10k on the clock and the 5th Inj had just been replaced. That realistically is as economical as my car would ever get, and the best realistic MPG readout I ever had...

Driven now at 70 in 5th, with all the latest mods I get at best high 30's, once last week I got 42.2 according to the TC (Hoorah) - I was elated!

PS just approaching 20,000 miles...

PPS - if you seriously are considering one of these - don't be put off. The car otherwise if excellent VFM. Just buy with your own head screwed on, test drive it well, more than one hour - and buy with you eyes wide open. I would say that about any "large" purchase...I've driven loads of cars, and I have still stuck it out...so there must be something good here too...

As Jamboo says, buy it fully in the knowledge that it isn't going to be the best or even close at giving you good mpg returns. I assumed Lexus were being fully honest with their claims and how wrong I was. Economy doesn't really matter to me in the wallet, but when you buy a diesel you do kind of expect reasonable mpg. 6th gear is a waste of time so best avoided in my opinion. Gear changes are best done around the 2500rpm mark for maximum torque and best fuel returns. For me the biggest let down was the lack of split fold rear seats. I should have picked up on this when I test drove so my fault for not doing so. I assumed all cars these days came with split fold rear seats. I've now purchased a roof box and bars to help with storage and getting me to the race track with the bike and trailer, as there simply isn't enough room in an IS without the ability to drop the rear seats. And if you do happen to tow a bike and trailer expect the fuel return to go badly downhill. Fuel economy is not the IS220ds strong point. It's the best looking car in the class and has a host of extras as standard. Sadly exclusivity is wearing thin. I'm seeing more ISs on the roads than 3 series BMWs these days.

Top answers fellas, and thoroughly enjoyed reading your advice.

We have only just bought ours and with 100 on the clock, we have yet to take it on a long long run. One thing is for sure though, the ride in it is far superior to either BMW or Mercedes (having owned both). As for there being alot more IS's on the road, quality will always shine, hence the reason why I decided to forgo the new C-Class and go for something completely different. I honestly love the car !!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links