Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Since I acquired my GS450H new last September I have been troubled by a metallic knocking sound when the engine is cold, disappears when warm. Very reminiscent of tappet noise on cars of old. The car has been back twice to Lexus and I am told that this is the fuel pump and normal on this model. Having owned various Lexi for the last 12 years this is by far the noisiest car I have owned. I am going to refer this to Lexus GB but would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Regards

Tony

Tony if it's normal on that model , obviously the Lexus dealer can demonstrate it on another car. I'm assuming the pump is electric so as you turn on the ignition before starting the engine does it make the noise as it purges the system ?

Tony if it's normal on that model , obviously the Lexus dealer can demonstrate it on another car. I'm assuming the pump is electric so as you turn on the ignition before starting the engine does it make the noise as it purges the system ?

Hi

I own the Gs300 and the fuel pump is actually in the fuel tank at the back of the car, easy accessable by removing the back seat.. Most modern cars are built in this way, so surely your pump will be in the same place. Hence there will be no metallic knocking in the engine bay

cheers

probsat

Hi there Tony. I've got a 450h which I also purchased in September 07. I don't hear the noise you're describing at all, though the engine undoubtedly is a bit rougher when cold - which seems pretty normal for any car I've had. However nor do I find it the noisiest of cars. Admittedly it's the first Lexus I've owned, but it's quite similar to the couple of E classes I had previously (as in pretty quiet overall, though hopefully a damn site more reliable than the last one I hope)

So I'd say they're being "economical with the truth" when they say every 450h makes the noise (or possibly my ears aren't as young as they used to be...)

cheers

Al

Hi there Tony. I've got a 450h which I also purchased in September 07. I don't hear the noise you're describing at all, though the engine undoubtedly is a bit rougher when cold - which seems pretty normal for any car I've had. However nor do I find it the noisiest of cars. Admittedly it's the first Lexus I've owned, but it's quite similar to the couple of E classes I had previously (as in pretty quiet overall, though hopefully a damn site more reliable than the last one I hope)

So I'd say they're being "economical with the truth" when they say every 450h makes the noise (or possibly my ears aren't as young as they used to be...)

cheers

Al

Tony, I think you might be talking about the direct fuel injectors? I'm in the process of converting from the IS 250 SE-L Auto which is really quiet when moving, but even when warm, you can still hear the 'ticking' when the vehicle is stationary (a little annoying). However, I can't say that on any occasion I'd heard anything like that on the GS450h SE-L though. At the end of the day, Mark Levinson can always help you 'hide' any number of 'perceived minor imperfections' with a delivery second to none; Lexus plays its trump card... :winky:

Mark