Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice And Opinions

sparkystav

Was pulled by Mr Plod tonight, claiming i had no Insurance, but sorted that out at last, (Its great that computer system of theirs, honest)

Anyway he gave me a fixed penalty for my plates illegal spacing. Basically i have it spaced to say 5TAV rather than 5 TAV, no italics, dodgy writing or anything but he still didnt like it.

I've replaced my rear number plate for a legal one i already had but i've a dilemma for the front.

my plate currently looks like this:

IntercooleropenSmall.jpg

So i'm gonna change it for a legally spaced one but if i do that with a maker and postcode underneath can i still have it that size?

The letters and spaces are all legal, with a legal 13mm border around the edge. Will that do?

If not can i legally have it made of something flexible so i can put it at the side below the headlight? also does it have to be on a particular side?

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with the plate, while keeping it seemingly legal?

Stav

My front plate is a Motorcycle size plate (rear) but white and square which is a legal size plate.

If you have it to one side (like the Alfa Romeo) then I am pretty sure it is to the left but I don't think it matters so long as it' s on the front

The Bike sized square plates in white must be legal, seen them on lots of modified Scooby's & Evos

on the left front bumper area but dunno how your reg would look.

I saw a JDM relocator mount for a plate like that on E-Bay yesterday.Item number: 350020094847

I'd personally leave borders elmblems etc off, but you probably need to pop into your MOT station to

check re spacing etc, as my brother is a tester and has said they are cracking down this year.

Some places will pass, others will fail the exact same plate......

Was pulled by Mr Plod tonight, claiming i had no Insurance, but sorted that out at last, (Its great that computer system of theirs, honest)

Anyway he gave me a fixed penalty for my plates illegal spacing. Basically i have it spaced to say 5TAV rather than 5 TAV, no italics, dodgy writing or anything but he still didnt like it.

I've replaced my rear number plate for a legal one i already had but i've a dilemma for the front.

my plate currently looks like this:

IntercooleropenSmall.jpg

So i'm gonna change it for a legally spaced one but if i do that with a maker and postcode underneath can i still have it that size?

The letters and spaces are all legal, with a legal 13mm border around the edge. Will that do?

If not can i legally have it made of something flexible so i can put it at the side below the headlight? also does it have to be on a particular side?

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with the plate, while keeping it seemingly legal?

Stav

Must of been sad plod mate, was out to get you for what he could find :angry:

its a personal gripe of mine this, i too have incorrect spacing and touch wood ive not been pulled for it.

imo if you have the spacing wrong but the font and sizing is the required type then i dont see why it should be a problem, if anything it would aid the police as it makes the car more recognisable and easier to read should they need to do so.

i do not agree with those plates that are of a font you cant see properly or where they have changed the number/letter to look like something else.

There is a crack down on number plates in the east and west midlands. Other areas to be covered in due course. Dvla are moaning that people are either buying legitimate plates and paying for the privilidge or buying cheap plates and adjusting them accordingly.

As nothing was done, they keep reminding forces so certain ones have acted.

I can't say too much on this unfortunately.

Must of been sad plod mate, was out to get you for what he could find :angry:

Unfortunatly Mr Plod are conducting a national campaign cracking down.

If you get caught they take pics, and send it to the DVLA.

Get caught again and you've got an expensive piece of plastic to hang on the wall cause they take it off you you.

Stav

There is a crack down on number plates in the east and west midlands. Other areas to be covered in due course. Dvla are moaning that people are either buying legitimate plates and paying for the privilidge or buying cheap plates and adjusting them accordingly.

As nothing was done, they keep reminding forces so certain ones have acted.

I can't say too much on this unfortunately.

DVLA should stop selling them then :D stop them moaning, i dont think so, think of all the money thay make/making :D

can i still have it that size? The letters and spaces are all legal, with a legal 13mm border around the edge. Will that do?

Yes you can as long as you have it spaced right and you just need 11mm minimum border. (top bottom and side)

If not can i legally have it made of something flexible so i can put it at the side below the headlight?

the reflective material needs to meet the British Standard that sets out the physical characteristics on the number plate. This BS includes visibility, strength and reflectivity. I dont think there is a materal other than the norm that currently meets the required standard.

also does it have to be on a particular side?

No, you can off set the plate either side.

This option is border line, but it mentions in the regs that the characher spacings need to be met, so my assumptions that that they need to be at least what they state. so you could space it M 5 TAV, meaning the 5 is spaced 33mm from the TAV, but the M could also be that far away. Might not be correct and might look much better than M5 TAV!.

Thanks Loggy,

I think thats what i'm gonna do surrounding size, just space it M5 TAV and get over it but have the plate the same small size but get the makers name and the silly code thing at the bottom to make it completely legal.

Stav

One more option is to carry some zip/cable ties and a legal plates in the car, have the zip ties all ready around the legal plates so you can apologies to the police, say you were just returning from an off road car show, and you forgot to replace the standard ones, then just place the legal plate over the illegal one and slide the cable ties over each end.

alternatively fix that strong velcro style stuff you can get to the plates and swap them over. Might not get you off, but with some smiling and being super apologetic and you might get away with a slap on the wrist.

One more option is to carry some zip/cable ties and a legal plates in the car, have the zip ties all ready around the legal plates so you can apologies to the police, say you were just returning from an off road car show, and you forgot to replace the standard ones, then just place the legal plate over the illegal one and slide the cable ties over each end.

alternatively fix that strong velcro style stuff you can get to the plates and swap them over. Might not get you off, but with some smiling and being super apologetic and you might get away with a slap on the wrist.

That wont help if you've been cautioned before!!......they will take your pride and joy away from you.

Once you are stopped (classed as an incident) officer will conduct a 10/25 (PNC check) The incident is logged as a reason for stop is requested. Pictures can also be taken but this for a third party and not retained by the force.

Doesn't really matter if 1st or 2nd offence relating to same offence code. Brownie points are a thing of the past but to some law is law and sections of PACE have to be adhered too. Seat belts, mobile phones and registration plates are the top 3 reasons for stop / fine at the moment re vehicle related issues.

That wont help if you've been cautioned before!!......they will take your pride and joy away from you.

The car or the plate? it was to be a very severe missrepresnetation for the DVLA to take the plate, in there own words:

Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT

test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.

Once you are stopped (classed as an incident) officer will conduct a 10/25 (PNC check) The incident is logged as a reason for stop is requested. Pictures can also be taken but this for a third party and not retained by the force.

Doesn't really matter if 1st or 2nd offence relating to same offence code. Brownie points are a thing of the past but to some law is law and sections of PACE have to be adhered too. Seat belts, mobile phones and registration plates are the top 3 reasons for stop / fine at the moment re vehicle related issues.

Thats all true, but in the real world 90% coppers know that if they can read it, a camera can read then then there is no real problem.

Tints on windows must be No 4 then :o

its a personal gripe of mine this, i too have incorrect spacing and touch wood ive not been pulled for it.

imo if you have the spacing wrong but the font and sizing is the required type then i dont see why it should be a problem, if anything it would aid the police as it makes the car more recognisable and easier to read should they need to do so.

i do not agree with those plates that are of a font you cant see properly or where they have changed the number/letter to look like something else.

couldn't agree more!!!!

its yet another money making machine!!!

this is my plate

bits5drujrdacs4eff6q63gjg3_9.png

i've been told its illegal and an mot fail(not by the plod but by the local motor factor) because it doesn't have the place that made the plate on the bottom!!!!

crazy.

but i can actually cut the plate down so i have an 11mm surround?

He did take pictures of the plates, I think as proof if i challenged my Fixed penalty.

The car or the plate? it was to be a very severe missrepresnetation for the DVLA to take the plate, in there own words:

test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.

The plate they can take away from you.

He said apparently the DVLA are cracking down, But the PD are prob just short on overtime.

But he told me once you've been done once, get done again and the DVLA will take the plate.

Anyway emailed a couple of companys trying to get a front plate made up with no excess acrylic but the BS number ate the bottom.

Stav

He did take pictures of the plates, I think as proof if i challenged my Fixed penalty.

The plate they can take away from you.

He said apparently the DVLA are cracking down, But the PD are prob just short on overtime.

But he told me once you've been done once, get done again and the DVLA will take the plate.

Anyway emailed a couple of companys trying to get a front plate made up with no excess acrylic but the BS number ate the bottom.

Stav

Different kettle of fish for tints. There is a legal percentage limit for front and rear. With regards to what your local motor factor stated, can i state for the record that it is the responsability of the motor factor to display there wording on front or rear plate. You CANNOT be done for this. It is mainly to backup that they have seen your V5 and driving licence for proof for replication for the plate(s).

Again its a 3 part crack down. Don't be confussed with parking tickets issued by officers, NOT TW.

Just to clarify Stav. If you do your bit regarding your plate (spacings, font etc) then whoever makes the plate will HAVE to either supply a BS number or the company name and telephone number.

As stated prior, you cannot be fined if there is missing plate information. The emphasis is on the retailer that issued the plates. Of course if your's has missing information and you state where purchased they should contact them and advise them to supply the relevant information. If it becoms a regular occurance then they should have the right to issue plates revoked / suspended and receive a fine.

And for further confirmation, postcodes etc MUST be sown and any personal names etc are not allowed as BS sets out the follwing:

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

l The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)

l The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or componentsupplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)

l The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean acompany whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)

l A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.

l There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

and the dvla states

l Number Plates must be easy to read and meet the British Standard.

seriously though guys, to be pulled for having ur name at the bottom is pretty unlikely....

most people, if not all, get done for illegal spacing/misrepresentation of letters.

you would have to be tail gated for anyone to see the small print.....

@stav, i have a mate who does plates and vinyls etc and he could most probably sort you one out with the BS number and reduced plate size.

pm me if u want further info mate.

i'm not back in the UK till tuesday but can give you his info.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links