Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice And Opinions

sparkystav

Did thsee regulations only come into effect two or three years ago? So technically plates made before this is not affected, and with a private plate might one be able to claim that the plate was made before the BS standard was introduced?

The prob with that Yaumeister is that pre 2001 (when the regs came in) the letters had to be larger.

stav

I know I'm known for doing things by the book, but I think all this is pathetic. Yes, pull a car over for a plate that's in some wierd and wonderful font, or that has been altered with insulating tape or plastic bits, but for a plate like M 5TAV, or indeed any other plate that's similar, WTF is the problem? Even if the plate was run through the computers, there's still only one plate like that so why do they care???? Why is it so important to have the place that made the plate on it too? Who's bothered? I'm sorry, but there's too much wrong in this country and world for any of this to be important enough for the Police to waste their (and your) time pulling you over. Period.

I've got to agree with you mate,

Thing was as well it was big crackdown on them in the county that week. There was at least 5 cars and a couple of bikes in the area. one jeep with a camera and then the rest pulling people over.

I wonder how much "real crime" happened that night and if better deployed officers would have helped?

In December last year I was coming home from work it was around 5.30p.m rush hour in Manchester. I was at a set of traffic lights waiting to turn right at a very busy junction. At the lights on the right where I am going to turn into is a Speed cop. As I make the right turn the police car puts on his blues and twos stops the rush hour traffic and does a sweeping U-turn at the junction. There is a car behind me and I see the cop car,lights flashing,sirens blaring coming up behind him. I assumed that he had got an emergency call. The car behind me pulls over to his left to let him pass. He is now behind me so I indicate left and do the same. He flashes his lights for me to pull over. It's now a narrow street so I pull on to the pavement he pulls in behind me.

He gets out of his car and comes up to me he says,"Do you know why I stopped you?" "I have no idea?" I said. "It's your number plate!" He asks me to get out of the car asks me if it is my car and do I have any I.D. I show him my licence He gets on his radio and asks for a PNC check and clear as day he speaks into his radio and say's Tango Seven Roger Yankee Bravo T7RYB sO NO PROBLEM READING THE PLATE!

He checks my car is taxed Insured and MOTed. He then gets out a ticket and starts filling it in (All the while there is an old lady looking out of her window at this) He tells me that it will be a £30 fixed penalty he takes 2 photgraphs of my car front and rear. This is now about 20 minutes in and I haven't said a word.

I have NOT said Dont you have better things to do.

I have NOT said That while you are dealing with me burglars,rapists etc are running loose

I have NOT said that if I had been stopped for NO insurance or NO tax or NO MOT and then you noticed the plate and that I had no regard for the road so I will do you for the plate as well I just said nothing.

He turned to me and said " You don't seem that worried?"

I said " I was just looking at that old lady in her house and thinking, If there were a gang of Yobs wrecking her garden throwing bricks at her door and abusing her would the blues and twos been on your car? Would you have got here as quickly as you got here to stop me? And when you did get here they would not even have run away they would have called you a shower of Pigs to your face. And because the little old lady could not "positively" identify "which" Yob was giving her abuse you would have asked them to move on Or at worse given them a caution!

I don't get the oportunity of a caution I just get Nicked! So in answer to your question officer I do not seem worried. You are just doing your job.

I got the £30 ticket and paid it.

Was I mad ... Not at the ticket 'cos my plate is not 100% but it is the correct size font and obviously clear what the number is, as he called it in no problem.

I was mad that at NO time did he wish to discuss the offence or want to caution me but just NICK me there and then. Yet scum roaming the streets they are more than willing to let them off. I have four friends who are retired police officers and they were disgusted.

First time in over 4 years I have had the plate on 2 cars that I have been stopped but there you go.

He was just doing his job! Same words were uttered by Nazi concentration guards at Nuremberg.

Unfortunately policing these days seems to be about numbers, not solving crime. And motorists are the easiest victims, as most are honest people and wont argue the toss.

Stav

Stav, as I said in my post my friends in the police were all CID and they called the traffic cops "Jury Nobblers" It was because of some of the petty nickings traffic offences that "honest" people got pulled for and their attitude towards them that the public disliked them for it. Thats off other cops!

It boils down to the driver being an easy target, you drive around with your I.D in 3 inch high letters for every copper to see, no arguments, little chance of denying what was done, easy to show impressive figures at the AGM.

Give it 10 years and we'll be living like the film 'Demolition Man' told.

What you have to know is there is a different standard for imports, so all those with Altezza's and Aristo's can have a smaller plate on the front, IF there is a smaller sized recess to fit a smaller plate..

On my 626GT, I removed the number plate holder, and underneath is a small recess, so I put a small plate in it..

Std size numbers and letters though..

Got pulled, and bluffed it saying it was an import... (well, it was built in Japan) :)

They couldn't make their minds up, and didn't know the law, so let me go...

A few months later, got pulled again... this guy said he had been trying to catch me for weeks... (dog vans can't catch 626GT's) he then comes out with "don't bother giving me the import crap" so I get a ticket.. no fine, just get the plate changed, and verified by an MOT centre, then take the slip back to the cop shop..

So basically, genuine imports can have a small plate, if a std sized plate wont fit..

2 line "bike sized" plates are legal for front or rear.

A mate of mine got done for his plate.. just because the characters were domed carbon-fibre lookalike.. just seems very petty to me.... but probably because it brings in some more coinage.

John

What you have to know is there is a different standard for imports, so all those with Altezza's and Aristo's can have a smaller plate on the front, IF there is a smaller sized recess to fit a smaller plate..

-----------

A mate of mine got done for his plate.. just because the characters were domed carbon-fibre lookalike.. just seems very petty to me.... but probably because it brings in some more coinage.

Imports need to be same as normal plates except for the following:

Character Height 64mm

Character Width 44mm

Character Stroke 10mm

Space between characters 10mm

Which only means the plates can be 15mm smaller in height (and slight narrower, but that depends on how many characters there are)

And its not just to do with the recess, its to do with the 'type approval'

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates

In other words, if you have the space to fit a normal one you have to.

If your mates carbon style domed letters match the font type and sizes, they are legal, there is nothing in the law that states the letters cant be 3d.

In other words, if you have the space to fit a normal one you have to.

If your mates carbon style domed letters match the font type and sizes, they are legal, there is nothing in the law that states the letters cant be 3d.

Think that's what I said.. :question:

As far as my mate's plate goes... he still got done for it... but from what you say, he should have been able to appeal against it..

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links