Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Delays/hesistation On Take Off

antione

Bought a 2002 GS 300 with 9500 miles, it is still under warranty. On occassion when I press the accelerator there is a noticeable delay, then the car takes off very abruptly. The problem seemed to occur more frequently when the engine is cold. took it in for service and technician said that all GSs perform this way (it's related to electronic transmission). I have also now noticed the problem even after car has been driven. Problem is more of occassional than consistent. If I take it in to the dealer again I'll bet $1 it won't repeat the problem on test drive. Tech also said with plenty time left on warranty just continue to drive and if it is a real problem it will get worse then bring it back in. After dropping $35K plus I want this car to perform flawlessly. Has anyone had a similar problem? Am I going to regret not getting the 5 series beamer instead

• 1 month later...

To make it simple.. It's not a problem, it's just the ECU thinking about what to do when you floor it.. It's been the same way with my GS since I bought it new last year.. The ECU is what they call a smart or thinking ECU, I can't remember which one it is.. But it changes to the way the owner drives, and makes sets itself to the persons driving habits..

• 1 year later...

:lol: Hi

I have owned 2 GS300 SE's, both of which have appeared to have the same problem. This is most noticeable when slowing down then attempting to fast accelerate, say in heavy traffic when you spot a useful gap. The ECU needs thinking time. You can see the difference if you change the transmissiom mode to Snow, etc.

Have no worries about not buying the beamer, it would have cost you another $10,000 for the equipment you have on your car.

Enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

You can reset the ECU by pulling the fuse from the fusebox in the engine bay, right hand side from the front. Leave the fuse out for 10 minutes and replace. It does make a difference to the take off, however it smooths the power over the whole range. it gives the impression of lost power in the 80's however as the ECU lears your driving style you dont notice this anymore. You can see which fuse it is by looking in the hand book, it states ECU. It does make the hesitation go away!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links