Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ignition Stuck In 'acc' Position

LexyLass

Oh my goodness - after 4 years of no problem whatsoever & regular Lexus MD servicing my baby is broken!

The ignition is stuck fast in the accessory position, sat nav & radio on (& working).

Hubby has WD40'd the key slot, whacked the body of the lock (from within her guts ie trim removed).

We can intermittently get the sat nav etc to turn off from a whack, but the slot is stuck fast in the acc position.

Hubby is pretty good mechanically & electrically so ANY help appreciated.

Have resorted to disconnecting the Battery at the moment as the remote fob will not lock/unlock the car either - must all be connected as Battery replaced recently & fob light is functioning.

My baby is RX 300 SE, Mk1, 2000 with run in mileage of 131000!

Please help as I am getting withdrawl symptoms - hubbys Bighorn really is not a good substitute!

UPDATE :D :D :heart:

YIPEE - oh how clever my hubby is (have to grovel after the reference to his Bighorn).

My baby is alive agin - tapping to the right side of the barrel has tumbled the tumblers!!

Thanks to all who have been kind enough to offer help & advice.

Soon to be mobile once again, as soon as dearest darling hubby fits new rear discs & pads!!

Hi and welcome to LOC, there have been a few people with the same problem on the IS200 and if the WD40 and tap in the right place ( please read linked posts below ) doesn't work it's a new barrel required for aboput £80 DIY. If it goes to lexus can be about £400.

Good luck :)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...nition+%2Bstuck

hubbys Bighorn really is not a good substitute!

sorry for your trouble.... but that has to be "quote of the year" so far :lol: :D

Oh dear - hubby now really mardy - says I can walk....looks like new barrel.... lots of walking....lots of pennies!

Have managed to get parts genuine discounted parts though from Lexus @ Swindon - new discs & pads all round saved me £85 from them over my local dealer.

www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk - spoke to John - very helpful but dont rely on Parcel Force to deliver in 24 hours! Took 4 days for one parcel, 5 for the other & then neither set of rear pads fitted!

So no driving my Lexi for a while....boo :angry:

Hi and welcome to LOC, there have been a few people with the same problem on the IS200 and if the WD40 and tap in the right place ( please read linked posts below ) doesn't work it's a new barrel required for aboput £80 DIY. If it goes to lexus can be about £400.

Good luck :)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...nition+%2Bstuck

Thanks for the advice - hubby is going to remove the barrel & take a hammer, lock pick etc etc to it before I walk to my local dealer for replacement. Can probable get it cheaper from Swindon, but time is a factor & so will my feet be if hubby really does make me walk after the comment about his bighorn - lovely really.....

hey lexylass. had similar problem with the ignition barrel on my IS. really easy fix with a new barrel. went with the how to guide on here.

been searchin for a place that does lexus parts for ages so gonna be giving lexuspartsdirect a little looky in a min! ta!

hey lexylass. had similar problem with the ignition barrel on my IS. really easy fix with a new barrel. went with the how to guide on here.

been searchin for a place that does lexus parts for ages so gonna be giving lexuspartsdirect a little looky in a min! ta!

Ok, so IF clever, nice hubby cant fix the existing barrel, do I need to go to Lexus for a new barrel? Will I need to do any reprogramming?

Have to go to Lexus in the morning to get correct rear pads as both sets as supplied by Lexus Swindon do not fit - one pair completely the wrong ones (despite the part number being correct - John @ Swindon Lexus called to say they had sent the wrong ones immediately sent what they considered to be correct, but these still do not fit). Is it worth taking the barrel with me to see if one of their techies can fix it, or will they just try sell me a new one? Are these over the counter with a new key or am I better to have a new barrel cut for my existing key - I have had no previous problems with the ignition?

Thanks in advance for all your help advice

Ok, so IF clever, nice hubby cant fix the existing barrel, do I need to go to Lexus for a new barrel? Will I need to do any reprogramming?

Have to go to Lexus in the morning to get correct rear pads as both sets as supplied by Lexus Swindon do not fit - one pair completely the wrong ones (despite the part number being correct - John @ Swindon Lexus called to say they had sent the wrong ones immediately sent what they considered to be correct, but these still do not fit). Is it worth taking the barrel with me to see if one of their techies can fix it, or will they just try sell me a new one? Are these over the counter with a new key or am I better to have a new barrel cut for my existing key - I have had no previous problems with the ignition?

Thanks in advance for all your help advice

without getting too complicated, a new ignition barrel from lexus is a mechanical fit- no need for any programming. you can order a barrel to match your current key(s) by quoting the chassis no or registration plate. agian i'm not totally sure if its the same fit as an IS but cant imagine they'll be much different.(although mine a 1999 IS200) i see your in norfolk- ian at lexus norwich is a good chap. and so is the service manager (cant remeber his name soz!). they said it was a fairly simple job on the IS so i saved myself some money and done it myself. i kno this ignition barrel prob is a common occurence on the IS, not sure if its the same prob with the RX tho. have you tried a search in the RX forum yet?

appear to be too late for your trip to lexus yesterday morning-sorry!

hope ya pads are sorted now!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links