Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gps Display Console - With A Portable Sat Nav?

P.Lindblom

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK thats made me want one, how many hours modding did it take do does look sweet

When you know what to do, and how, it doesn't take long. I did it in a total of maybe four hours, and I came up with solutions while modding. I thought attaching the Sony sat nav to the frame would be the most difficult thing to do, but I figured out I could use the original metal shield that held the Toyota display in place.

Since the sat nav perfectly fits the frame I modified, it just needs to be pressed forward against it. I solved it by using pieces of [that foamy material you sleep on when you go tenting] between the back of the navi and the metal shield. That also minimized the risk of rattling noises, due to vibration.

bilbilder028my9.jpg

wow i wish i had the time and knowhow, on how to do that. My sat nav screen is f***ed.

great work mate

If your screen is stuffed, (assuming you mean normal Lexus screen) why not come to a deal? The one in the housing has been taken out and not being used.

Thats wicked mate..looks ace...dont fancy installing one for me? come over from sweden? :whistling::lol:
And me, I'll pay for the plane ticket and hotel?!!!!

Actually, the only hard thing to do is cutting the frame to the right size. For everything else, you just need to know how to handle a screwdriver. Maybe I could cut frames that are sent to me, but I’m not sure if I dare. I wouldn’t want to break someone else’s frame.

wow i wish i had the time and knowhow, on how to do that. My sat nav screen is f***ed.

great work mate

If your screen is stuffed, (assuming you mean normal Lexus screen) why not come to a deal? The one in the housing has been taken out and not being used.

That’s a very good idea. It feels kind of sad my original and probably super expensive Toyota display isn’t used. I haven’t tested it, so I can’t be sure it works. If it doesn’t, though, you don’t have to pay for it. Maybe just for the shipping.

how mutch did you pay for the lexus screen and motor ?

Hi! The sat nav housing was 2500kr (£200), but that's with the original display, which I have no use for now.

That is a fantastically neat job, almost looks OEM - well done! :D

Thanks! :) I was really satisfied when I realized the navigator and the housing are the exact same color.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few people have asked me how to connect the sat nav housing, and how to power whatever is in it. I couldn't have done it without Geoffers' knowledge, and this is how it works.

The only pins you want to use are the following:

Permanent live (12v+) - Top right corner

Switched live (Acc.) - Bottom right corner

Ground - Bottom left corner

dscn4441th5.jpg

Behind the plug, the pins obviously continue a couple of millimeters. Thats where I connected another two wires (red and blue), which are connected to my sat nav, inside the housing.

bilbilder032xr9.jpg

The first time, I fastened the wires behind the console and then realized I had soldered them to the pins on the housing. That's why I added this plug, and a matching one on the housing. It's kind of handy if you want to remove the housing.

dscn4448oo9.jpg

I disconnected my stereo power cables and just connected my wires to the appropriate ones.

Blue/yellow - Permanent live - My red wire

Grey - Switched live - My orange wire

Brown - Ground - My blue wire

bilbilder033el1.jpg

Hope this helps those of you who want to do something similar.

fantastic job done there mate, just a quick question how do u switch on/off the sony satnav unit itself. is it permanately on?
Ah, that's interesting. I will look into it and see if I can figure something out.

The Sony sat nav is great. 4,8" display, really nice interface, easy to use and full of smart features. One of the best things though, is that, when connected to the charger, it starts upon ignition and shuts off when you turn off your car and the display housing folds down. I was told it wouldn't do that, but it does! :D

The size of it is almost perfect for my project. I will have to modify the original frame a bit, but hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. I will continue tonight.

Where would be the smartest place to find current/acc for my housing?

there you go mate.

Stav

Exactly! I forgot to mention I connected the red wire from the sat nav to the switched 12V pin (orange wire). That means the sat nav starts upon ignition, just like the stereo.

Another short video demonstration:

http://www.garaget.org/video/rjkruxsnqv8m

• 1 month later...

I'd like to say a big thanks to Patrik for being the first to do this & post up absolutely every bit of information needed to do it!

I successfully completed mine a couple weeks ago with a Sony U-93 and its still working great, I did a few things differently which anyone attempting this might find helpful. 1: the scary bit of cutting the frame to fit the screen - I never had access to a milling machine so used a dremel with a tiny cutting disk to take the most off the edges then used a straight & round file for the little tweaks to get the U-93 in there perfect. 2: I fitted a "james bond" style switch under the panel for the heated switches between the ACC wire so that I can switch the whole thing off whenever I dont want it on. 3: the metal frame which holds the old screen in place and now holds the Sony sat nav in place - I cut the top off that frame as I found that it was cutting the GPS signals down by about 1/2.

dsc03899fe3.jpg

Anyway I had great fun doing the modification, it took me about 5 hours total which included a drive to Asda to buy one of those foam tent sleeping pads!!, I managed to get the original large plug & part of the wiring loom so that made things much easier.

Oh and something else interesting - when I stripped the Lexus GPS unit I bought I found that a great many of the screws were loose and I even found one that had fallen out so anyone out there that has the original Lexus GPS system and find its rattling a bit you should strip it all down & tighten up all the screws!

Steve D

Frame cutting

dsc03897dl4.jpg

Dremel & cutting disk

dsc03898zk0.jpg

Original plug & wiring loom

dsc03879sp7.jpg

Original plug & new wiring

dsc03882sz1.jpg