Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gps Display Console - With A Portable Sat Nav?

P.Lindblom

Thanks for the great idea, inspiration, instructions and advice Patrik I have a Sony nav in my IS200 now and i gotta say it works really well. I did not cut the frame nor wire it to the acc..

I have kept the car charger discretely tucked it away and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, when I don't want the nav on I simply unplug it and hide it away and the nav turns off.

It turns off after 30 seconds when unplugged or ignition goes off. also It changes to night mode automatically and the signal is good.

I used a Sony NV U-92 TC

12052008742hh5.th.jpg

*I also found many loose screws within the housing and screen.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking of doing something similar in my altezza with a TomTom One.

although have it so i can still remove the unit if i want too :)

not sure how different an install it would be to that above?

I was inspired a while back by this thread to have a go at my own Portable GPS mod, it works great with a a garmin 255w, couldn't be more pleased. Looking through this thread and pictures i have noticed that you've only connected the permanent live, the ACC and the negative.

I had a look through the wiring diagrams and found the unit is also connected to the Starter circuit. All you need is a 12v feed off the starter circuit going to Pin 3 on the unit plug, this stops the unit closing then opening again when you start the engine.

I originally didn't have this connected and it got really annoying, quick solder job from the loom near the ignition barrel (the wire you need is the thin black and white striped wire) and hey presto, sorted. Just something to think about.

Sorry i don't have any pictures, i didn't document my work. I hope this helps someone and sorry again if my description is vague.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for the great idea, inspiration, instructions and advice Patrik I have a Sony nav in my IS200 now and i gotta say it works really well. I did not cut the frame nor wire it to the acc..

I have kept the car charger discretely tucked it away and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, when I don't want the nav on I simply unplug it and hide it away and the nav turns off.

It turns off after 30 seconds when unplugged or ignition goes off. also It changes to night mode automatically and the signal is good.

I used a Sony NV U-92 TC

12052008742hh5.th.jpg

*I also found many loose screws within the housing and screen.

Excellent work mate!

But how have you discretely tucked a cigarette lighter away? It's rather big!

Any pictures?

Very tempted to give it a go!

Abbas for your install you say you didnt have to do any cutting of the Sony NV U-92 TC, is it a perfect fit for the housing then? I am really interested to do this mod. Great post btw, excellent mod.

Hi and sorry for the late reply... I did not modify the housing in any way nor the sat nav unit. I just placed it inside the housing then filled in the gap left over with some left over bits of board I had.

The Sony NV U-92 TC is not a perfect fit its alot smaller than the housing so as I said above the remaining gap needs to be filled. The only issue I have had is the sat nav was stuck on one location and I had to reset it. That meant taking it out the dash and housing to get to the reset button (bit of a pain!). I am looking to find a solution to this problem when I get a chance.

I will post up some pics when I get a spare few mins.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright folks, im in the middle of trying to get a housing to fold up and down.

I have tried the above but it only opens, and in three stages. There are three wires coming out from the side which are the same colours and side at the ones going to the switch, would this have been for another switch (behind the gear stick?) or should i use this for the live feed etc?

Been trying various combinations but not having much luck.

Any help much appreciated,

cheers

Jay

There should be two switches. One is for tilt, giving the three stages you talk of, and the other (on the opposite side) is complete open and close.

These should be connected to the main board you connected your live, acc, and gnd to. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures. Do you so you can explain what you mean as I may have read your problem incorrectly.

If I am reading it correctly, have you bypassed the main board or is it missing? A picture would be good if poss.

Alright folks, im in the middle of trying to get a housing to fold up and down.

I have tried the above but it only opens, and in three stages. There are three wires coming out from the side which are the same colours and side at the ones going to the switch, would this have been for another switch (behind the gear stick?) or should i use this for the live feed etc?

Been trying various combinations but not having much luck.

Any help much appreciated,

cheers

Jay

Hey, I might be able to help if you need to compare it against mine? Cameron has a spare GPS console as well if you need a switch or anything?

Steve

I've found out where they are supposed to go but for some strange reason they have been cut short.

I think they are supposed to be connected to a circuit board thing on the left hand side of the unit. Possibly something to do with sensing where the screen mount is located. I just need to find out what wire is supposed to go where out of the three on the board, extend and solder.

I would post pics up however my camera is dead at the moment and i cant find the cable to connect my phone.

Once this is done and my greddy infometer arrives i plan on housing it in there as something a bit defferent, i may make a carbonfibre surround to take up the space as there will be about 20mm around it.

Hey, I might be able to help if you need to compare it against mine? Cameron has a spare GPS console as well if you need a switch or anything?

Steve

Not any more he doesn't lol.

Yeh if i could get a glance of your wire set up that would be brilliant dude, i just need to find out the order of the wires, a pic would be ieal dude!

I managed to get my old phone to take a rather poor pic but maybe this'll help you understand which part im talking about lol. At the top of the pic you can see the red, black and white cable is cut. I still have the wires going to both the switches these look as though they connect to the part labled.

dscf0724smallfb8.jpg

I have a list of part numbers somewhere, you should then be able to check it on a dealers screen at the parts dept

to cross reference before you order any parts.

Sat Nav housing parts list (later model not the 5" screen)

Top Air Vent Piece

55662-53010

Screw Cover for Air Vent Piece

55544-53010

Open/Close Button

84932-53020

Tilt Button

84931-53020

Connecting Wire for Buttons

82145-53570

Screen Top Cover

55443-53020

Screen Casing

55479-53020

Circuit Board Casing/Holder

86843-53020

Circuit Board/ECM

55313-53021

Right Side Pivoting Mount

55682-53010

Left Side Pivoting Mount

55681-53010

Under Mount

55683-53020

Motor

85435-53010

Gear

55678-51010

Hope this helps :D

OOh, that circuit board one could be the one, will invade lexus aberdeen tomorrow with the part numbers lol.

If i cann get it to work using the oem components that'll be a lot easier than having switces etc. cheers wozza

Well i didn't have time to go inpast the parts department but i phoned up and they will get the parts for wednesday or thursday. Switch was £4 and the slider with wires etc was £35. Wonder if i they will be willing to give me discount for being a gold member lol.

Well i didn't have time to go inpast the parts department but i phoned up and they will get the parts for wednesday or thursday. Switch was £4 and the slider with wires etc was £35. Wonder if i they will be willing to give me discount for being a gold member lol.

text jay to help with his problem seen as it was my sat nav sorted i hope

Hello i just came across this mod and it inspired me to do the same.

I have alot of know how in electronics so this mod will be handy for me to do.

I dont have my car yet but it is on the way from Japan.

It has the orginal sat nav built into it so I will have less wiring to do.

IMPORTANT QUESTION

Has anybody connected the sat nav speaker to the speakers of the car so the sound comes from them and not the sat nav?

If so how did you do it?

I think it simple is disconnecting the wires from the sat nav speaker and connecting them to the speaker wires(if any!!) in the unit.

I will try to do it myself if no one has tried it yet but I hope someone has.

Tommy

• 3 weeks later...
Good morning,

I just got an idea. I’ve never used an original IS200 navigator but I suspect the voice navigation goes through the main speakers. Does this mean the stereo unit has got an extra audio input that let’s sound reach the speakers even though music is playing?

In that case I will connect it to the headphone output of my new navigator.

Hey all! I'm about to attempt something familiar here in OZ in my 2002 IS, was just wondering how you got the speakers to work? or does the Sony unit have an external speaker??

• 1 month later...

I am on a similar project and i wanted to ask if someone found a solution so we

can pass the sound of the aftermarket NAV to OEM sound system...

That would be really nice, as most systems are fine for playing music-video also.

Did anyone accomplish this??

I am on a similar project and i wanted to ask if someone found a solution so we

can pass the sound of the aftermarket NAV to OEM sound system...

That would be really nice, as most systems are fine for playing music-video also.

Did anyone accomplish this??

Technically it should be possible, my phone kit is wired in so it mutes the stereo and puts the phone audio through the front speakers when a call comes in - I sure someone who knows what they're doing would be able to modify this to work with a satnav source............

In terms of music, something like the grom unit should work well (that's what I use with my phone/multimedia kit and it works perfectly)