Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gps Display Console - With A Portable Sat Nav?

P.Lindblom

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grom unit does it at line level within the connection itself.

The output of the Lexus amp is ok open circuit so you could put a relay in the feed to the front driver speaker so it switches over to the satnav output when audio is present. You may need a signal detect if the satnav doesn't give out a signal when it is producing audio.

Maybe a bit to much bother if the audio out of the satnav is high enough though.

Parthiban thanks for your reply. Does your car have OEM satnav?

Because if it does, maybe your phone kit is using the satnav capability to interfer to oem headunit sound.

Yep got the OEM satnav, it's nothing to do with it though, I've got the autoleads phone mute plugged into the amp - it does what Geoffers explained and switches when it gets a signal, he's the man to speak to though as he really knows what he's talking about :)

well, my knowlege of electronics is minimal so, if i may ask a link of some appropiete relay to use...

and about signal detector. Navigator does not have a separate signal for audio output. It just has a standard 3,5mm headphone line-out.

What layout should i use??

Geoffers please give me your lights on this (and your links also..!)

well, my knowlege of electronics is minimal so, if i may ask a link of some appropiete relay to use...

and about signal detector. Navigator does not have a separate signal for audio output. It just has a standard 3,5mm headphone line-out.

What layout should i use??

Geoffers please give me your lights on this (and your links also..!)

I'm not sure its really worth it considering the output of the built in speaker. Maybe someone on here could record the output level as an example?

Its a little complex really but I'll draw you an audio detect circuit if you are seriously going to build it. But one of the frustrating things may be that it cuts off the first few milliseconds of speech as it detects and switches. (Like older car phones that used voice detect). Then it must listen or stay on for a preset time, then flick back off again.

Its up to you if you want to try it, but without a trigger output from your unit you may need a fair bit of fiddling around.

Thank you very much Geoffers

Navigator has a pretty satisfying loud speaker for navigation instructions BUT I want to use it for video and TV in the future because it has a video input. So, it would be much nicer to have sound come out from the car speakers.

I think I will drop the signal detector plan… My current situation is shown in the picture below.

sxedio.jpg

What I want to avoid, is switching cables every time I want to have audio from ipod or navigator.

My thinking is to modify the ipod cable to have both ipod connector and RCA at one end (and at the other end the mini-DIN permanently connected to GROM interface).

I suppose inside the ipod cable there are 4 smaller cables for the 2 channel audio that can be cut and connected to two RCA.

First question: what will happen I do that and have both devices connected at the same time playing.

Second question: If the the above doesn’t work, can I put a switch so I can choose from where the sound will be passing? (and still have connected both devices at once)

Thank you very much!

Already replied on this mate - HERE

You can't have both, it will distort, you will need a switch.

Hmmm - this could make things difficult because if you have the audio out plugged in, yet it is switched over to your Ipod, then you won't hear any satnav instructions. If you switch it over to the Satnav than that is all you will have - unless it plays music itself and interrupts with satnav directions?

Since the signal detect plan is dropped (for complexity and doubtful results), that is the target that I am after.

To have audio output from one device at a time, but at least not by changing cables on the grom unit, but by a convenient switch.

So modification has to be made on the ipod cable. I found which pins are for audio but it’s really hard for me to deal with the little cables inside… They 're waaaaay too thin! :huh:

So the only solution is to have some kind of female 8pin mini-din plug that I will solder my own cables (including a DPDT switch) and a male 8pin mini-din plug to put at the end (and into the grom unit).

But, I asked to two local stores for something like that, with no luck… Any good source on the internet for something like that?

I hope I am not wrong again about the above thinking… :whistling:

• 1 month later...

hi im about to start may sony sat nav modification...however i need some advice...

the sat nav im lookin to replace the original is200 sat nav screen with is the SONY NV-U93 T , however i dont want to modify the screen by cutting the original plastic screen surround...can anyone tell me if the above sat nav will fit the original screen surround or will it not unless i modify the plastic surround??

any help would be great

Thanks

hi im about to start may sony sat nav modification...however i need some advice...

the sat nav im lookin to replace the original is200 sat nav screen with is the SONY NV-U93 T , however i dont want to modify the screen by cutting the original plastic screen surround...can anyone tell me if the above sat nav will fit the original screen surround or will it not unless i modify the plastic surround??

any help would be great

Thanks

I know that CameronIS200 on here did his without cutting the screen surround, give him a PM from the member search area :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'd like to say a big thanks to Patrik for being the first to do this & post up absolutely every bit of information needed to do it!

I successfully completed mine a couple weeks ago with a Sony U-93 and its still working great, I did a few things differently which anyone attempting this might find helpful. 1: the scary bit of cutting the frame to fit the screen - I never had access to a milling machine so used a dremel with a tiny cutting disk to take the most off the edges then used a straight & round file for the little tweaks to get the U-93 in there perfect. 2: I fitted a "james bond" style switch under the panel for the heated switches between the ACC wire so that I can switch the whole thing off whenever I dont want it on. 3: the metal frame which holds the old screen in place and now holds the Sony sat nav in place - I cut the top off that frame as I found that it was cutting the GPS signals down by about 1/2.

Anyway I had great fun doing the modification, it took me about 5 hours total which included a drive to Asda to buy one of those foam tent sleeping pads!!, I managed to get the original large plug & part of the wiring loom so that made things much easier.

Oh and something else interesting - when I stripped the Lexus GPS unit I bought I found that a great many of the screws were loose and I even found one that had fallen out so anyone out there that has the original Lexus GPS system and find its rattling a bit you should strip it all down & tighten up all the screws!

Steve D

First of all Great work both of you - Steve and Patrik!!

Also, I am considering doing this mod myself, but hd a few questions if you dont mind.

1. Did your Is 200 have the wiring loom upgraded to power the satnav? as in did your car come originally with a satnav.

2. where did you get the "James Bond" style switch from?

3. Do you have an external antenna for your satnav?

Thanks in anticipation

BM

I'd like to say a big thanks to Patrik for being the first to do this & post up absolutely every bit of information needed to do it!

I successfully completed mine a couple weeks ago with a Sony U-93 and its still working great, I did a few things differently which anyone attempting this might find helpful. 1: the scary bit of cutting the frame to fit the screen - I never had access to a milling machine so used a dremel with a tiny cutting disk to take the most off the edges then used a straight & round file for the little tweaks to get the U-93 in there perfect. 2: I fitted a "james bond" style switch under the panel for the heated switches between the ACC wire so that I can switch the whole thing off whenever I dont want it on. 3: the metal frame which holds the old screen in place and now holds the Sony sat nav in place - I cut the top off that frame as I found that it was cutting the GPS signals down by about 1/2.

Anyway I had great fun doing the modification, it took me about 5 hours total which included a drive to Asda to buy one of those foam tent sleeping pads!!, I managed to get the original large plug & part of the wiring loom so that made things much easier.

Oh and something else interesting - when I stripped the Lexus GPS unit I bought I found that a great many of the screws were loose and I even found one that had fallen out so anyone out there that has the original Lexus GPS system and find its rattling a bit you should strip it all down & tighten up all the screws!

Steve D

Hi Steve,

I am considering doing this mod myself, but hd a few questions if you dont mind.

1. Did your Is 200 have the wiring loom upgraded to power the satnav? as in did your car come originally with a satnav.

2. where did you get the "James Bond" style switch from?

3. Do you have an external antenna for your satnav?

Thanks in anticipation

BM

Hello,

Answers in numerical order:

1. It never had a satnav system originally i had to take power supplies & make up a wiring loom.

2. i got the switch from Halfords, same for the wires & connectors reqd.

3. There's no extenal GPS antenna although there is a antenna for traffic information.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

The first thing to say congratulations on the forum and the project.

I'm a avensisclub (www.avensisclub.com) and I saw this project and I would do it in my Toyota Avensis, I have seen very similar connections.

Would have any way of knowing which is the reference of the wiring that goes to the screen to avoid having to cut cables?

They came originally these cables?

Photos:

P1030788.jpg

P1030785.jpg

P1030786.jpg

P1030792.jpg

P1030793.jpg

Thanks and sorry for my translation

• 8 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me here on this forum.

I just completed this mod and everything works perfectly except when I wired up my illumination (+/-), it causes my illumination fuse to blow instantly. I know there could be a short somewhere but is there something else that I should check?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I was inspired a while back by this thread to have a go at my own Portable GPS mod, it works great with a a garmin 255w, couldn't be more pleased. Looking through this thread and pictures i have noticed that you've only connected the permanent live, the ACC and the negative.

I had a look through the wiring diagrams and found the unit is also connected to the Starter circuit. All you need is a 12v feed off the starter circuit going to Pin 3 on the unit plug, this stops the unit closing then opening again when you start the engine.

I originally didn't have this connected and it got really annoying, quick solder job from the loom near the ignition barrel (the wire you need is the thin black and white striped wire) and hey presto, sorted. Just something to think about.

Sorry i don't have any pictures, i didn't document my work. I hope this helps someone and sorry again if my description is vague.

Sorry to bring this post back alive. I was wondering which one is pin 3. I got all the other connections sorted but I need to take the wire to the starter circuit. Do you just count accross from the first row from left to right?

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I'm over here in the US, and I've been using this thread as a base for what I'm doing. I had put my gauges in the navigation housing and i'm having issues with the navigation opening and closing. I haven't put the gauges in yet. I've taken out the screen so the only thing in there is the circuit board. when I give the unit power and ground, i can feel the motor turn on and try to open/close. Does the screen have to be in there for this to work? Does it use the weight of the screen to help open and close it? If not what part do you think could be causing it to NOT open when power is given. Thanks in advance.

By the way this is what I have for a screen:

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old post, but am also looking for some information.

I have just managed to get this from eBay for just £89 (which i think is a bargain)!

BuGZWkKGrHqFiUEw5jcrqRWBMOy7hWwew_1.jpg

BuUHgBmkKGrHqJhgEw5L-tocBMOy8MZ9g_1.jpg

BugkgWkKGrHqVjkEw41dobfmBMOy83bqy_1.jpg

Ok, i know it is the 7" variant of the satnav. I do not have a clue about wiring, no matter how well someone writes it down, i need to see it done type thing...anyways i have a friend that can do anything with car electrics. So i need something to replace the nav part. Anyone reccomend a good DVD player with touch screen? Also what would be good is a MP3 socket that i can be operated through the monitor unit (if this is even possible or will i have to just buy a grom?) Sat nav would be a bonus.

Once i get a product to install into the mechanism i will be sorted and less stressed...Pics will of course follow.

Thanks, Ian.