Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gps Display Console - With A Portable Sat Nav?

P.Lindblom

well done mate good buy - start looking for one of these type affairs also if you are doing what i think - not suggesting this seller or make but stick to a well known brand ie kenwood/alpine - when i was looking i could of got a few 2nd hand ones for about £80 - go for twin aeriel diversity boxes for best results - the input and output connections on a unit like this will help you connect it all up in the end ..................... again double treble check any advice i give before spending money in case im wrong somewhere

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you once again :) i will start looking now.

Ok firstly takes a while for things to click with me, so i apologise :P

Lets say for example i bought this;

My link

Could i say put the dvd player into the glove box say (if it seperates from the monitor that is), and use the monitor in the mechanism and 'Jobs a good un' so to speak?

Or does the unit i buy need specific connectors/wires etc compatible to the IS or are they all pretty much universal? Also what about sound? do i have to unplug the the speakers from cd player and plug that into the player? Arghh im confused :(

Basically i just want to buy something that will do the things mentioned in my previous post and works with the IS200 without having to get more wires and connectors etc, then will just hand it over to my m8 and let him plug it all in.

Cheers

I think you are right stav - when i looked into it it didnt really help much either but did give it dsome thought as couldnt find a screen at the time so was an option but in reality was one more bit of kit which made things more complicated tbh - best off with a screen designed for purpose i decided - ian put a wanted ad up for a grom as they do come round sometimes on here and i think youll need one eventually unless stav knows a better way to hook up the audio side

something like THIS as an example but you might want to get a touchscreen one which would be more up to date - this was one i found as an example only, just the kind of thing to look for - tbh you can get screens like this for £40 upwards brand new-ill try and dig out some of my old info and post up a few links to cheap bits when i get a chance -

the stuff you want wont be specific to a lexus its all just plug and play with each other via inputs and outputs etc -

something like THIS as an example but you might want to get a touchscreen one which would be more up to date - this was one i found as an example only, just the kind of thing to look for - tbh you can get screens like this for £40 upwards brand new-ill try and dig out some of my old info and post up a few links to cheap bits when i get a chance -

the stuff you want wont be specific to a lexus its all just plug and play with each other via inputs and outputs etc -

Cheers for your patience dude and thanks for the help, exactly the info im hoping to hear :)

the alpines a good idea,

your not gonna get a unit that plays dvd/satnav etc into that unit. If thats what you want buy a double din stereo instead.

but you can use the screen like the one linked then connect a dvd player or satnav to it

no sweat but bear in mind i never did it just thouight about it - heres a place to get ideas of kit needed ie-monitors etc(screens) have a trawl thru and see what suits you then try and find the spec you need cheaper if possible SCREENS

the alpines a good idea,

your not gonna get a unit that plays dvd/satnav etc into that unit. If thats what you want buy a double din stereo instead.

but you can use the screen like the one linked then connect a dvd player or satnav to it

Cheers, and how about the sound if you know? Think this is my final question for now :P Would all in car sound just go through the unit? In other words, if i have a cd playing through the car stereo, would i be able to put a dvd on and have the sound come through together, or would i need to switch one or the other on at a time?

If that makes sense.

:)

grom plugs in the back of your existing stereo and acts as a source for sound so you just press cd twice to switch to tv/dvd audio input to get the sound through your car stereo - they do a few different types so dont buy in haste - ps they seem to have got cheaper as well - pound must be recovering GROM EXAMPLES

grom plugs in the back of your existing stereo and acts as a source for sound so you just press cd twice to switch to tv/dvd audio input to get the sound through your car stereo - they do a few different types so dont buy in haste - ps they seem to have got cheaper as well - pound must be recovering GROM EXAMPLES

hmm they are cheap, UK dealers are asking around the £80 mark and even with p&p these are a good deal cheaper.

But basically i am going to need one of these as well then? So thats going to be the Satnav mechanism, DVD Monitor + DVD player & Ipod connected up and all sounds will be hooked up to in car speakers?

satnav sstandalone systems i have no info on as wasnt going to go that far - would nessecitate a touchscreen for obvious reasons and a satnav module tucked away somewhere - dvd player unit would ideally mount in glovebox for ease of changing dvds -grom behind stereo - i dont think youll be able to hook up ipod at same time without unplugging connecters - if you dont have satnav would be cheaper and easier - freeview tv module in boot and two aeriels in rear window - your gonna need a fair large selection of good quality rca leads etc to connect it all up - these can be made to length required pretty easy to keep costs down

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread..... I too have fitted a non standard screen into the lexus motorised console, I did this about 7 years ago and couldnt fnd the wiring to get the motor going anywhere, so I used it without the motor for years. It was great to find the detailson here on what wires neded to go where and I now have that up and running! I have one problem though which i hope you guys can help me with. I want the buttons to illuminate...I am guessing that this is the small white plug on the back with a black wire with white dashes on? The only problem is that as i bought the unit second hand this wire had been cut off...I cant seem to find any trace of where this wire LED so i can add a new one. Can anyboby have a look at theirs for me and tell me where it goes?

Many thanks

Vic

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread..... I too have fitted a non standard screen into the lexus motorised console, I did this about 7 years ago and couldnt fnd the wiring to get the motor going anywhere, so I used it without the motor for years. It was great to find the detailson here on what wires neded to go where and I now have that up and running! I have one problem though which i hope you guys can help me with. I want the buttons to illuminate...I am guessing that this is the small white plug on the back with a black wire with white dashes on? The only problem is that as i bought the unit second hand this wire had been cut off...I cant seem to find any trace of where this wire led so i can add a new one. Can anyboby have a look at theirs for me and tell me where it goes?

Many thanks

Vic

Hi did you find out where the wire goes to as i have done the same conversion to a sat nav and would like the switchs to light up but dont want to just want power the connections at random in case it blows the circuit board cheers tony

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread..... I too have fitted a non standard screen into the lexus motorised console, I did this about 7 years ago and couldnt fnd the wiring to get the motor going anywhere, so I used it without the motor for years. It was great to find the detailson here on what wires neded to go where and I now have that up and running! I have one problem though which i hope you guys can help me with. I want the buttons to illuminate...I am guessing that this is the small white plug on the back with a black wire with white dashes on? The only problem is that as i bought the unit second hand this wire had been cut off...I cant seem to find any trace of where this wire led so i can add a new one. Can anyboby have a look at theirs for me and tell me where it goes?

Many thanks

Vic

hi i have just wired my switches up i put a power feed to the terminal above the earth wire i took the power from the heater controls mine was the green wire in the small connector but check with a meter first ps i have the early sat nav hope this helps

Hi Clifton,

Many thanks for the reply, when you say the wire above the earth....do you litterly mean the wire above the earth or do you mean the top left connector? + the wire you have used....is this just a standard power feed or does it dim with the rest of the interior with the dimmer knob?

Cheers

Vic

Hi Clifton,

Many thanks for the reply, when you say the wire above the earth....do you litterly mean the wire above the earth or do you mean the top left connector? + the wire you have used....is this just a standard power feed or does it dim with the rest of the interior with the dimmer knob?

Cheers

Vic

HI yes i connected it to the terminal directly above the earth the wire on the sat nav i took the power from heater lights this only powers up when the lights are turned on but mine did not dim the light in the switches on the sat nav switches but the bulbs in the switches are leds so maybe they dont dim im sure some one here can tell you hope this helps

Nice one clifton thanks for that, So my next question to you guys....anyone know what wire i can take the power feed from so the buttons can dim with rest of interior? I'm guessing they do dim as standard??

Cheers!

Vic

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links