Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav Help

Hi guys,

Just got my first lexus yesterday (Silver 2003 is200 se), had a saab 2.2tid before this and the lexus is a far superior car :). I live in northern ireland. The maps only give me the options for great britain because the car came from scotland. I was wondering how do i change the maps for the roads in northern ireland (which is still in the UK)? was messing about with all the controls and i managed to get into a secret menu and it's coming up in japenese now??? can anyone help me out?

thank you

Kevin

Hi guys,

Just got my first lexus yesterday (Silver 2003 is200 se), had a saab 2.2tid before this and the lexus is a far superior car :). I live in northern ireland. The maps only give me the options for great britain because the car came from scotland. I was wondering how do i change the maps for the roads in northern ireland (which is still in the UK)? was messing about with all the controls and i managed to get into a secret menu and it's coming up in japenese now??? can anyone help me out?

thank you

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

messing around in the secret menu is the worsest thing you could do :crybaby: What is your Nav actually showing up. A screen in japanese like this?

post-17051-1202388074.jpeg

post-17051-1202388097.jpeg

If yes, you have a real problem which is not completely solved so far.

On the page

Lexus / Toyota Navigation Trouble

you can read what the story behind the issue is and what people have tried so far to get rid of it. To find the article please scroll down up to the middle of the page. It starts with:

"Quote Start"

In case the picture doesn't show up for you, the screen is in Japanese and has some English text that reads:

-------------

CAUTION

Error; System unable to access the program.

Incorrect program disk.

Please insert proper disk.

-------------

This is a GEN 2 / 3 NAV unit for a 2003 Lexus (also used in Toyota's) made by DENSO. It no longer reads the original European disc and is looking for the Japanese disk.

The disk has the following information:

86271-33031

464210-0270

DATA ver.02.1

""Quote End"

Beside of this the page shows up how you can get the temp satnav override funktion which allows you to use your satnav while in motion :whistling:

So good luck that your problem is a different.

Cheers

Sonnet

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

Yes this is the problem that i have, is there no way to solve this then? my board in the unit is the Gen 3 ECU, what shall i do? any ideas?

Kevin

sorry to be a bearer of bad news mate but looks like your shiney new lexus is going to be going back to the dealers for expensive re-programming

from what i have heard about this situation is

that the ecu and navi need to be reset and navi re-installed to the car to get it back working and that only the lex dealer can do it

look on the bright side though while ur there u can ask em to sort it out for irish mapping :whistling:

Hey guys,

I was thinking that, expensive? (how mush are we talking) :( that's all i wanna hear, there must be some way of flashing the ecu?

Thanks for all your help.....

Kevin

hi mate not sure how expensive it would be best thing just ring up and ask

there will be a way to flash the ecu etc but i am almost positive that only a select fe will be able to do it or have the equipment to do it and even then by flashing the ecu may cause more problems if not done be a lexus qualified technition

also was the car like this when you bought it or have you done it yourelf by fiddlin with the secret menu

the first is i went to look at i refused to buy despite them nearly trying to give it to me because the garage didnt no how to get the nav to work to show me it it did (at the time i didnt really no how to get it working)

but read that it is one of the things to check or it could get expensive to take it to dealer

I was messing about with the menus trying to get maps for northern ireland, so i would have had to get it updated anyways, so I will contact lexus asap....

Thank you

kevin :)

let us know the outcome and price they quote as a lot of members have managed to mess it up the same and not got it fixed

Hi kevbonner,

after all the bad new, I can say "There is some light - hopefully - in the dark"

The first good new is: You are not alone with that problem. If you follow the link to the LOC USA board you will find a thread with three pages and over 40 replies to you problem

Navigation Screwed Up......., need help screwed up navigation

The second good news is, that it seems (in reply 39) that some has found a solution to reset the Navigation ECU in a DIY way :D which is solving the problem

That's an ECU issue. The Nav system isn't booting up the disc.
YES YES YES....HALLELUJAH........It finally worked.

I opened the ECU unit, unplugged the wore that connects to the battery that saves the memory, the whole system was reset and it was very easy......

here is the link....let me know how it works for u guys

For how long did you disconnect the battery. I've done it for 30 mins, and nothing has changed.

Are there any other than memory backup batteries in ECU?

So, finally I've made it :-)

First I've thought that the ECU, which some of you referred to, was the computer mounted under the dash, nearby the screen.

Disconnecting the battery which was inside this computer was useless in my case.

BUT, there is another battery - in the navi disc reader. And disconnecting THIS battery solved my problem biggrin.gif

In my RX330, navi disc reader is in the trunk.

regards to everybody

Good luck

Sonnet

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help :) i've been on the american site and tried a few things that they recommend. I removed the nav dvd unit from the boot and took it apart, then removed the Battery in the unit by de-soldering it, I kept the Battery out of the unit for an hour, so it should have cleared the momory, then put it all back together, it's still the same :( Some guys were talking about resetting the ECU by disconnecting the Battery cable in the ECU, How do i do this? would I not lose my radio settings and need a code for my radio?

Thanks....

Kevin :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help :) i've been on the american site and tried a few things that they recommend. I removed the nav dvd unit from the boot and took it apart, then removed the battery in the unit by de-soldering it, I kept the battery out of the unit for an hour, so it should have cleared the momory, then put it all back together, it's still the same :( Some guys were talking about resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cable in the ECU, How do i do this? would I not lose my radio settings and need a code for my radio?

Thanks....

im not sure where the cable is but i dont think the radio has a code in the is200 i have disconected mine a few times and its not asked for a code it just resets and you will lose your pre-sets

Hmmm.... taking it out would be the same as disconnecting the Battery. There still no Battery.

Unless the screen itself is stuck in its own firmware setup. I noticed a few screen specific things when I had mine. you can either pop it off and disconnect the power or take off the Battery live.

Reeves is right - the IS200 radio doesn't have a code. You will have to reset all your stations and it will reset the other ECU's too. They will all re-learn for your driving. So may feel slightly different to start with. This may not be a bad thing and would be the first I'd do when buying a car.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help :) i've been on the american site and tried a few things that they recommend. I removed the nav dvd unit from the boot and took it apart, then removed the battery in the unit by de-soldering it, I kept the battery out of the unit for an hour, so it should have cleared the momory, then put it all back together, it's still the same :( Some guys were talking about resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cable in the ECU, How do i do this? would I not lose my radio settings and need a code for my radio?

Thanks....

Thanks for doing the de-soldering that was my next try since trying to drain the Battery has not worked. I'm not sure what my next step is going to be. I have a 2002 LS 430.

Ok lads,

So far

1: Took apart the satnav dvd unit and removed the Battery from the unit (for an hour) so it would loose it settings, that didn't work.

2: Disconnected the negative on the main Battery for 30mins, that didn't work.

Is there anything else I can try? or even where could i get a hold of the japenese disk it is looking for?

Thank you

Ok, I wonder if it in upgrade mode and won't accept the old disk? Its waiting for some sort of disk and there's probably a way of getting out of this mode but this is the only thing I can come up with!

Do you know anyone that you could try a newer disk from? Don't suppose you recall what version yours was?

I think you have to pop the fuse for it to do a complete reload after you've put the disk in. (Or just unplug its power cables). I might be wrong on that though, I can't remember.

If it works, see what disks are on eBay from someone who has paid for an upgrade. Not sure on the legals though. As long as its not a copy I think you would be ok but best check.

Ok, I wonder if it in upgrade mode and won't accept the old disk? Its waiting for some sort of disk and there's probably a way of getting out of this mode but this is the only thing I can come up with!

Do you know anyone that you could try a newer disk from? Don't suppose you recall what version yours was?

I think you have to pop the fuse for it to do a complete reload after you've put the disk in. (Or just unplug its power cables). I might be wrong on that though, I can't remember.

If it works, see what disks are on Ebay from someone who has paid for an upgrade. Not sure on the legals though. As long as its not a copy I think you would be ok but best check.

I have tried my original and it won't read it either. You are correct that it's in a mode where it wants a specific disk and the key is to get out of this mode, but the question still is how do you get out of this mode? I am not sure where this state is stored as I have drained the back up Battery in the ECU and KevBonner even removed the Battery for an hour by desoldering and it still keeps the setting.

We need someone from Toyota or Lexus to get us the answer as to what they do in the shop. I'm sure it's something simple but the question still is what???? Any Lexus/Toyota Techs out there please help us. I saw someone selling our ECU on eBay for 500 US dollars, but is that the answer. If the answer is a repair disk then where is it and can I buy it from someone? At this point I have taken the unit out of the car and will keep it out until someone finds an answer. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Have you tried a disk with a newer version on though? What I'm saying is that (possibly) if it wants an upgrade, it has to be dated newer until it is taken out of the upgrade mode.

Got to be worth a try at least?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links