Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Dark Side!

puresilk

Hi Guys

I have owned my Lex for just under 3 years and although it has been a beautiful car, reliable, packed with extras etc im thinking of getting an Audi TT the 225 BHP.

All of a sudden they have just started growing on me and the performance as well as looks is very tempting!

At the moment to pick up a nice low mileage one is roughly between 7-8K!

What do you guys think anyone got any experience of the Audi TT?

Hi Guys

I have owned my Lex for just under 3 years and although it has been a beautiful car, reliable, packed with extras etc im thinking of getting an Audi TT the 225 BHP.

All of a sudden they have just started growing on me and the performance as well as looks is very tempting!

Make sure the gearbox is ok, thay go for fun, and not cheap to replace or repair :D

Hi Guys

Hi Mate,good choice there.My sister runs a 54 plate 3.2l DSG TT and i think they are great cars,that one has 250hp.I dont know much about the 225hp one.Is it turbocharged?I know they handle beautifully and most of them are capable cars,especially the ones with over 200hp.My sister has the DSG box and they dont recommend owning one of those boxes without an audi warranty,cos they are expensive jobs when they go wrong.I think the cars are pretty solid in the handling department,they look good and they sound good too.My sister has the full milltek system on and the note at full chat is awesome.good luck with the purchase.

I have a S3 - which is pretty much the same platform/engine without the hairdresser exterior ;)

I had looked at the TT when selling the Lex though - and they are bloody good cars..

The engines are very good, though a little unrefined, and dont sound that good (unless your thrashing it), and generally thirsty all the time - the best i manage on a motorway run is 35MPG..

They are very well built, just ensure it has a FSH, had a cambelt change at the 75k service and avoid anything thats had accident damage.

The TT has a very small boot - and rear passengers have no head room.

All in all, its a good all-rounder, but lacks a little excitment.

Ask yourself one question. Do you care about your hairdo? If you do, the the TT is definitely for you, if like me even a comb is an option, then get something else.

I didn't like the old TT - but the new one is much nicer. Although it's still style over substance in my opinion.

Puresilk... We had one before... had to change to a more practical car due to Junior arriving in May....

Had a 54 plate. Faults I had were Clutch Master Cylinder which was just one of those things...

Common problem is the dash pod, look out for faulty fuel or temp gauge as an indication, if this needs replaced you are looking at £500+ for POD you also need to get all keys re programed as the alarm system is part of this. Temp sensors in the engine bay are also well known for playing up. If its a Quattro look out for problems around rear axle especially if been thrashed..

Check out the TT forum they will give plenty of advice, some good guys on there.. We are in similar situation and tempted to pick up another one, although trying to put a baby in a car seat in the back of a TT could well become an Olympic sport :)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies!

Im in 2 minds now!

I been looking up on TTs and reliability etc, Ill prob get one around 50-70K mileage, and I have heard there are niggling little expensive faults with it especially electric!

Now I love a reliable car, I dont care how sweet it is if its in the garage every few months or every MOT needs something done is a right put off!

My lex has flown threw the last 3 MOTS, and has never let me down except wear and tear i.e pads,discs and my mods that I have done! and its a T reg with 105K on the clock!

I might just stick with the lex for now

If you do go for the audi TT mate make sure that it has the small spoiler and suspension mods at the back as this was a recall on ALL TT`s due to the small but fatal problem of lifting the back end of the car at high speed ..........most/all of them have had it done but just check...was a massive problem when they where first made.....lift of over steer i think?

If you do go for the audi TT mate make sure that it has the small spoiler and suspension mods at the back as this was a recall on ALL TT`s due to the small but fatal problem of lifting the back end of the car at high speed ..........most/all of them have had it done but just check...was a massive problem when they where first made.....lift of over steer i think?

would defo do this although the spoiler is ugly! i remember seeing a TT totalled at the side of cambered corner just after they were launched!!

i considered an audi before getting my IS200, mainly for the quattro option. the good thing is ya dont have to compromise if you were to find a a4 quattro (curse the blastpheme!!)