Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Sport Mpg

Spoony

I've done an experiment over the last few days with MPG. I know its a well covered subject, but I just thought I'd share my findings with you all.

I've started driving at a strict 65-70 MPH to see how much difference it actually makes to fuel economy on my '03 IS200 Sport.

I filled my tank and then did a 186 mile round tip on Monday and filled up after the journey. I averaged 32.13 MPG!

The today I did a 261 mile round trip, filling up before and after again - this time I've managed 34.38 MPG!

This is up nearly 10 MPG from my average cruising speed of ~80 MPH and I still arrived at both destinations a few minutes quicker than TomTom originally estimated.

So I'll reiterate - driving 10-15 MPH slower on the motorway makes a massive difference to economy and bugger all difference to travel times. If you get paid by the mile (as i do) then this has a direct impact on your monthly expenses!

This can only mean more money for mods. Woohoo! :winky:

Interesting point. It's a well-accepted fact that driving slower will increase fuel efficiency. A cars' peak economy is around 55mph. I've got a 300-mile trip coming up to Northumberland and I plan to drive at a steady 55mph to see what the best possible economy is I'll ever get from my car.

Spoony's results are compelling reason enough to take it a bit easier on the gas.

:)

Don't get me wrong, I use the power of the engine to drive quickly but within the limits of grip, visibility and of course the speed limit (I know, boring old git, sunday driver and so on, I've heard them all). I've never noticed any difference in MPG between driving like an undertaker or using the engine's power.

its even worse when you have 2 tits near ya backside. :P :lol: cant help myself ...... :hehe:

i can drive slow when i need to but if i have the room and dont act like a ****** i like to put my foot down.

Trust u :blush:

There is a school of thought that says for max economy, you drive like this... Foot to the floor in every gear, change up at 2000rpm. When you achieve your desired speed, foot off the accelerator, when you slow too much then foot back on the accelerator to the floor. It's supposed to save about 16% of fuel.

Theory is, throttle fully open most of the time means least resistance for air, plus engine management system is most economical at full throttle. Also the mgt system can control fuel economy better than a driver can.

Sounds complete bol***ks to me but it's evidently true. I've never tried it but a colleague has and he conforms that it works. The driving technique takes some getting used to - so I'm told.

Good luck

jack

I use my is200 to get to work and back at no more and no less than 33.4 miles a day and i know the road through the country and A roads so well i learnt to cut down on gear change and braking (which contributes to higher fuel econ), and i never go over 3000rpm or around 55-60 at any point in the journey (when i goto work why hurry? i just make sure i have plenty of time and when going home i like to just enjoy driving with music to wind down after a days work at the office). If you're like me, i also warm the car up before i start driving. This is where you ask, so why get a 2 litre car if you're going to be like that? Well because like some of you here i like a bit of oomph when i need to, sorry but a 1.1 litre just doesn't cut it for me, especially when you're going from stand still at round abouts when its busy and you need to get through a gap in the traffic. Oh and looks of the car ofcourse!

There is a school of thought that says for max economy, you drive like this... Foot to the floor in every gear, change up at 2000rpm. When you achieve your desired speed, foot off the accelerator, when you slow too much then foot back on the accelerator to the floor. It's supposed to save about 16% of fuel.

Theory is, throttle fully open most of the time means least resistance for air, plus engine management system is most economical at full throttle. Also the mgt system can control fuel economy better than a driver can.

Sounds complete bol***ks to me but it's evidently true. I've never tried it but a colleague has and he conforms that it works. The driving technique takes some getting used to - so I'm told.

Good luck

Jack

I've never heard that one before. Surely full throttle would haemorrhage fuel into the engine? Also 2000rpm would mean you're changing gear within a second of the last. Still, if it's been proven I'm not going to disagree. It would also make a pretty uncomfortable ride for passengers surely???

Good luck

Jack

I've never heard that one before. Surely full throttle would haemorrhage fuel into the engine? Also 2000rpm would mean you're changing gear within a second of the last. Still, if it's been proven I'm not going to disagree. It would also make a pretty uncomfortable ride for passengers surely???

This comes from the days of carburettors.

I used to tell the boss this all the time that is was better to have twin Weber chokes working to improve the fuel consumption. I think it’s a load of bollocks but it is a load of fun! :winky:

Oh! She did catch on when she repeated it one night and the guys laffed! :blush:

...came from an article in auto express - some university consultant to lotus and others. all above-board. i think it's more suitable for up to 2ltr cars - because of the comfort factor as you point out. at the time I was driving 230bhp normally aspirated so foot to the floor driving could be considered dangerous... I never tried it. Don't think I will with the sports cross - but then again...

• 2 years later...

to a full tank of vpower(£80) i just got 210 miles!!first tank since i supercharged it so i have been giving it a boot full(just love the noise)

to a full tank of vpower(£80) i just got 210 miles!!first tank since i supercharged it so i have been giving it a boot full(just love the noise)

ormi your in scotland arent you,cant you sort out tommys knocking noise ! im sure you can take an is 200 to bits and put it back together blindfolded,i know if i lived near a mech like you who loves and knows the lex so well id make the trip if not impossible

:lol: 300 miles was taking it easy.

used to get 200-240 miles just putting the foot down all the time

ormi your in scotland arent you,cant you sort out tommys knocking noise ! im sure you can take an is 200 to bits and put it back together blindfolded,i know if i lived near a mech like you who loves and knows the lex so well id make the trip if not impossible

think tommy is quite a bit away from me matey.....???????

oh right,shame-its obviously quite hard to find competant people to do work on lex and know their stuff-you obviously love em-was just a thought as im not too clued up on geography in scotland

About 70 miles mate, iv'e had the car's front suspension components looked at by a few garages and everything seems ok. I think the knocking noise is coming from the shock inner valve ? What do you think Ormi ? It's less audible when warm.

Interesting most of my driving is motorway 12 out of 15 miles to work each day and i get about 300 to the tank, i find if i use cruise control as much as posible it is more economicle than my right foot.

200 to a tank would hurt bad, what power is a charged 200 putting out ?

Regards

Russell.

i've been told due to the prolex manifold,decat and uprated intercooler could be as much as 215-220 but will see when it goes on the rollers(with in a few months need to get the ecu fully learned to the charger)

215 - 220 I belive mine is 215 standared so almost exact same power just i get 100 miles to the tank more or is that with you driving fairly hard.

Regards

Russell.

i have just fitted the charger so the ecu is still learning its fueling etc also i have had a lead foot so once i calm down a bit and ease off the pedal it will prob be the same as yours mate mibbi slightly better as yours is an auto.some peeps with chargers report 340-360 from a tank.

Interesting most of my driving is motorway 12 out of 15 miles to work each day and i get about 300 to the tank, i find if i use cruise control as much as posible it is more economicle than my right foot.

200 to a tank would hurt bad, what power is a charged 200 putting out ?

Regards

Russell.

Even at 300 to a tank it seems heavy for an IS. Only works out to around 20mpg assuming you have 70 litre tank.