Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I think my RPMs are reading wrong, at what RPM should my car

DANDADAGS400

I just bought a GS 400 and for some strange reason, my car always shifts at 4k rpm (when I floor it). Even when I put the ECT PWR switch on, it still shifts at 4000rpm. When I'm on the freeway crusing at about 80 mph, my rpm's read only 1800, and when I'm at a stop and the car is in drive, it reads at about 200 rpm, when I'm at a stop and the car is not in drive, it reads at about 300-400 rpm. I think that my rpms are just reading incorrectly, becasue even when I shift the car manually, the rev limiter kicks in at about 4200 rpm, and it seems like the car is going fast like it should. I plan on taking the car to the dealer but I just needed to ask a few questions so that I can better diagnose the problem.

1. At what RPM should the car idle at (when hot)

2. Around where should the RPMs be if I'm on the freeway (cruising) at 80 MPH.

3. At what RPM should the car shift at when floored with the ECT PWR on, and w/ the ECT PWR off, or does it shift at the same point with the switch being on or off.

4. Thanks guys !!!! :)

thats correct, with the pwr button on it will raise the rpm at which the transmission will shift to a higher gear.

robbie

Hmmm.. not sure if i read that right... the pwr button means that when you boot it it kicks down quicker than Norm.. i use this feature everyday and when i am in confrontations with another car and need a quick kickdown to boost me. Other than that i keep it on Norm... the only other thing is the Overdrive switch which takes away the top gear...

Best way is to just drop the car in second.. that really does alot of difference.. i redline mine... heheh

ok, bit of confusion here, try and clear this up as we are talking about 2 different situations.

1: Normal driving - with the PWR button on, it will let the engine rev higher than normal mode before the higher gear engages.

2: Driving PWR button on - floor accelerator pedal: this will cause the downshift to be a lot quicker and the resulting lower gear revs to be higher than compared to normal mode.

sure i have that right?

robbie.

• 4 weeks later...
ok, bit of confusion here, try and clear this up as we are talking about 2 different situations.

1: Normal driving - with the PWR button on, it will let the engine rev higher than normal mode before the higher gear engages.

2: Driving PWR button on - floor accelerator pedal: this will cause the downshift to be a lot quicker and the resulting lower gear revs to be higher than compared to normal mode.

sure i have that right?

robbie.

With the PWR button on it kicks in quicker when you boot it... basically it will change up a gear on the lower rev. Great feature! I found that out in an SC400 in the states as I did not know at the time what the PWR button did