Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VW Passats Taxis are running around all over europe with intergalactic miles - using Shell Long Life, with extended servicing ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINES. I sat in a Passatt 1.9 130PDi Taxi in Glasgow, 283000 miles, same engine and driver since 2003. Nothing worn or broken...

All this bashing long life servicing is misfounded - the evidence proves it as long as you use the correct oil. It's only some dealerships and mechanics that put you off because it keeps you away longer. Manufacturers of oil and engines wouldn't be approving it like this. Think about it...

It's the dealerships, not Lexus who make you buy Semi/fully synthetic. At the prices the garages charge you, it's in their interest...someone's gotta pay for the Carwash club, and it ain't the Lexus dealer! Lexus have approved the engine with Mineral and 10k/12month servicing...

End of...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VW Passats Taxis are running around all over europe with intergalactic miles - using Shell Long Life, with extended servicing ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINES. I sat in a Passatt 1.9 130PDi Taxi in Glasgow, 283000 miles, same engine and driver since 2003. Nothing worn or broken...

and did you ask him how much of oil is he filling up between changes? I wouldnt be surprised if it was about 2 litres per 30.000kms, which is app. 40% of the total oil volume. TDI with longlife are real oilburners.

Did you ask him how often the cars asks for oil change?

and did you ask him how much of oil is he filling up between changes? I wouldnt be surprised if it was about 2 litres per 30.000kms, which is app. 40% of the total oil volume. TDI with longlife are real oilburners.

Did you ask him how often the cars asks for oil change?

No I didn't - but after 280000 miles (0.5mkm) I wouldn't care about 2 litres!. But my old A4 on Long life was using no oil compared to my 220d - 1 litre per 2-3000 miles! My Audi used roughly 0.5litre between 36-46000 miles. Which is why I always say that from my experience, the 1.9PDi 130 was the best diesel engine around - at least on mine it was!

Hello to everybody, I have just joined but have been viewing this site for a while. On the subject of service cost I have recently been priced £450 for a 40K service by Lexus Leicester, after making a few phone calls to other dealerships I was quoted £295 by Wolverhampton. So I rang Leicester to let them know I would be getting service else where, guess what!!! they matched it. So I have learnt never pay sticker price, always haggle.

All this bashing long life servicing is misfounded - the evidence proves it as long as you use the correct oil. It's only some dealerships and mechanics that put you off because it keeps you away longer. Manufacturers of oil and engines wouldn't be approving it like this. Think about it...

It's the dealerships, not Lexus who make you buy Semi/fully synthetic. At the prices the garages charge you, it's in their interest...someone's gotta pay for the Carwash club, and it ain't the Lexus dealer! Lexus have approved the engine with Mineral and 10k/12month servicing...

End of...

Hi jambo,

spot on - dealerships dont seem to follow lexus service schedules, they also do not follow service charge rates as it seems that technicians (mechanics’) rates vary all over the country. As I said before its all down to cost of ownership and what Lexus have stated in their specification when launching any new model .

hope your 20k service goes bettet than mine did .

cheers

swager

End of...

Hi jambo,

spot on - dealerships dont seem to follow lexus service schedules, they also do not follow service charge rates as it seems that technicians (mechanics’) rates vary all over the country. As I said before its all down to cost of ownership and what Lexus have stated in their specification when launching any new model .

hope your 20k service goes bettet than mine did .

cheers

swager

• 3 weeks later...

Swager - cheers. Mine cost £291 all in for the 20k, which was approx £50 cheaper than they quoted to me over the phone. So I'm a happy bunny.

Even at that price ther were things like windscreen washer fluid etc on there.

The brakes are OK - nothing to report...so I assume they will last > 10k more.

Car is smoother around town - no question. The stuff they did has made a huge "urban" impovement in trms of NVH, though overall Noise is definitly going up I think as the miles pile on...and the car is approx 5% better on a run in term of MPG - though at 5% it's too close to "error" to be absolutely sure.

Anyway, I'm resigned to the fact now that this is as good as it will ver get.

One thing though - they ordered 2 new vents for the dash...I'm still waiting and will chase them today.

Right, a big thankyou to those that advised to use Lexus Hanley. I was being quoted £330 and £315 by Leeds and Bradford respectively. Hanley serviced my car (20K for 220D) for a shade over £242.

I must add, Brian at Hanley is a top bloke, had my courtesy car all ready and waiting (albeit a Mazda, but who cares).

Swager - cheers. Mine cost £291 all in for the 20k, which was approx £50 cheaper than they quoted to me over the phone. So I'm a happy bunny.

Car is smoother around town - no question. The stuff they did has made a huge "urban" impovement in trms of NVH, though overall Noise is definitly going up I think as the miles pile on...and the car is approx 5% better on a run in term of MPG - though at 5% it's too close to "error" to be absolutely sure.

One thing though - they ordered 2 new vents for the dash...I'm still waiting and will chase them today.

wheres the vents for? the two middle ones? or the ones on the sides by driver/passenger doors?

wheres the vents for? the two middle ones? or the ones on the sides by driver/passenger doors?

By the doors....

Good thread this, here's my experience so far, I have been ringing around Lexus dealerships near me, one is 15 mins drive and is quoting about £280 for a first service for a lexus IS250, the other is about 35 mins drive and it quoting about £160 for the same service, both are including vat, parts, labour and all fluids etc...

I have booked in with the dealership with the cheaper quote, but am mystified at the difference in costs :o :wacko: . This is my first lexus and it's first service at 1 year (car has only done 8000 miles) so await with interest the whole experience just hope it's a good one!

BTW the cheaper deaslership is Lexus Woodford, and the more expensive one Lexus Hatfield and both prices are before LOC gold discount!

• 4 months later...

hi all, look from this post Lexus Teesside, seem to be the cheapest atm, but how good are they, any one here can recommand them? need to know as i need to book my in for 20k service in the next few weeks...

• 3 weeks later...
hi all, look from this post Lexus Teesside, seem to be the cheapest atm, but how good are they, any one here can recommand them? need to know as i need to book my in for 20k service in the next few weeks...

Maz this may interest you - called at Minories Durham asked for a price for first year service quoted between £115 to £130 rang Lexus Newcastle (which happen to be the same group as Minories) they quoted £236. They asked should I get a less quote would I go back to them, so I told them of the quote from Minories they rang me back and said they would do it for £130 all in which I accepted. :shifty:

Merv

Swager...had my 20K service at Lexus Bristol too, identical listing except they appear to have missed charging you for the drain plug gasket. I've put my costs alongside yours for the same items, those marked ' * ' were the same price as yours but subject to my requested 10% discount, except for item 9 for which they seem to have charged me full price despite saying it was less 10%? Cannot explain the difference in the non discounted prices, unless it's because of a change of labour rates due to the time of the services, mine was done on the 21st November 2007.

20k service Bristol

1 full 20k service /2 years 161.5 ..................119.70

2 semi synthetic engine oil 81.59....................73.43

3 enviro charge 3.48......................................3.13

4 consumables 4.68.......................................4.21

5 oil filter 8.3................................................7.35*

6 Battery remote 5.23....................................4.71*

7 screen wash .89.........................................0.80*

8 brake fluid 8.92..........................................8.03*

9 filter .pollen 29.12.....................................29.12*????

10 gasket drain plug .83.................................0.70*

11 75w90 synthetic gear 13.56......................12.20*

12 mobile 0w 40 protectio 10.21......................9.19*

13 gasket (drain plug)....................................1.12*

total inc vat = 385.76 plus front discs and pads total inc vat = 321.59 plus fitting IPOD kit to vehicle F.O.C. Courtesy Car

Swager...had my 20K service at Lexus Bristol too, identical listing except they appear to have missed charging you for the drain plug gasket. I've put my costs alongside yours for the same items, those marked ' * ' were the same price as yours but subject to my requested 10% discount, except for item 9 for which they seem to have charged me full price despite saying it was less 10%? Cannot explain the difference in the non discounted prices, unless it's because of a change of labour rates due to the time of the services, mine was done on the 21st November 2007.

20k service Bristol

1 full 20k service /2 years 161.5 ..................119.70

2 semi synthetic engine oil 81.59....................73.43

3 enviro charge 3.48......................................3.13

4 consumables 4.68.......................................4.21

5 oil filter 8.3................................................7.35*

6 battery remote 5.23....................................4.71*

7 screen wash .89.........................................0.80*

8 brake fluid 8.92..........................................8.03*

9 filter .pollen 29.12.....................................29.12*????

10 gasket drain plug .83.................................0.70*

11 75w90 synthetic gear 13.56......................12.20*

12 mobile 0w 40 protectio 10.21......................9.19*

13 gasket (drain plug)....................................1.12*

total inc vat = 385.76 plus front discs and pads total inc vat = 321.59 plus fitting IPOD kit to vehicle F.O.C. Courtesy Car

Hi Tango,

will pass on the costs if Bristol take me to court over the missing drain plug gasket,

cheers Swager

Just had my 20K done at Teesside 236.21 all in inc LOC discount. When I booked it in we discussed whether the brake fluid should be changed and we agreed not (1 year old should not need new brake fluid and i am surprised it is in the potential schedule)- that brought it down 80 and the discount to 236. They said my wiper blades ought to be changed sometime soon and offerred but i declined.

Very pleased all round

Also pleased that my original dunlops still have 5mm.

Just had my 20K done at Teesside 236.21 all in inc LOC discount. When I booked it in we discussed whether the brake fluid should be changed and we agreed not (1 year old should not need new brake fluid and i am surprised it is in the potential schedule)- that brought it down 80 and the discount to 236. They said my wiper blades ought to be changed sometime soon and offerred but i declined.

Very pleased all round

Also pleased that my original dunlops still have 5mm.

I'm astonished by what I've been reading on this thread.

I had a 10K service on my IS250 a couple of weeks ago at Lexus Reading. Cost me £139 + VAT, including wash etc.

They couldn't have been more helpful. Went through everything that had been done, and no attempt made to rip me off. In fact they were encouraging about how little wear my tyres and brakepads were showing.

The 20K service will be more expensive as it's a more thorough service but I didn't ask how much it would cost.

Overall, very pleased with Lexus Reading.

:offtopic: How pleased are you with the car Fred?

Is it base model, SE or SEL?

I don't want to describe it as the "base model" as it's such a pleasure to own and to drive, but it's not an SE or SEL.

I'm very pleased with it. Everyone who sees it or gets in it just coos about it, and turns green with envy.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links