Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Newbie Question Rx300 S1 / S2

Afternoon Folks

I apologise if this has already been asked. I had a good look through the forum and could not spot anything.

I’m poised to buy an older RX300. My question is this; what are the key differences between the series 1 and series 2. Is the Series 2 significantly different enough that I should stretch to the extra cost?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Afternoon Folks

I apologise if this has already been asked. I had a good look through the forum and could not spot anything.

I’m poised to buy an older RX300. My question is this; what are the key differences between the series 1 and series 2. Is the Series 2 significantly different enough that I should stretch to the extra cost?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Well I went for the latest Mk1 I could find with a low mileage...mainly becuase I don't like the "korean" look of the Mk2...reminds me too much of a Hyundai :ohmy: but that just my taste.....the Mk2 is actually growing on me the more I look..... :lol:

Another big issue I was aware of is the auto box "intelligent" ECU control......there have been and are still issues with slow speed tip in/out of the power, and it appears even after a fix there are still problems.....I prefer the older four speed box, its much more stupid! :lol:

The cost difference for my choice was about £5000 between Mk1 & Mk2 of the same year/age/mileage, and the Mk1 looks a treat with Mk2 18" wheels :winky:

Best regards David

• 2 weeks later...

I had the latest RX400h for a day when my RX300 was in for some warranty work last week.....things I immediately noticed (apart from the hybrid drive system of course) was the steering much heavier on the Mk2.....ride felt very much the same.....quieter on hard acceleration.....NVH was no noticeable difference during normal driving......I loved the reversing camera (probably for gimick value more than anything else, but still extremeley useful)....fuel consumption via the display was 26.4mpg for the day where as I get on average around 22 from my 300.....then again driven gently on A/B roads I can squeeze 27 out of mine, but thats no fun is it? :winky:

I think the driving position was slightly better for me in the newer car....then again I am 6'3" and substantial in stature :whistling: so not exactly the ideal Japanese anthropamorphic dummy, in fact when I visit my friends in Japan they call me their "giant" :lol: apart from being a "long nose" of course......the closest the Japanese ever get to an insult! but then I point out that "long nose...long *****" :lol:

I would seriously advise driving both Mk1 and Mk2 together....for me the £5K difference between them and the slightly (to my eyes) less appealing styling of the Mk2 made my choice....

Best regards David

I think its about preference. But remember, there is an acknowledgement that the MKI was designed with the US market in mind and developed for there. It was sold here with some minor MODs to make it acceptable for the UK - and for me it just doesn't work. Looks all 'wrong' and never seems to fit on UK roads. The MKII is a totally different animal, very refined and totally geared towards UK market. I like the cutting edge looks and pretty much everything about the MKII - but it is about preference. Go with whichever one really ticks the boxes fr you as both being Lexus, you can believe the hype :)

The missus informed me last night she preferred the look of the Mk2 :unsure: guess that's the decision made then. Now to go drive one and find one in our price bracket.

One more question though, I've saw elsewhere on this forum that some guy imported a new Harrier and tried to sell it for £27k, quite quickly this was reduced to something like £17k. If this is the normal differentiation between imports as new, then would the same apply for used? Guess my quesiton really is, is it worth looking to import something a bit younger for the same price and an older model here?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links