Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This Nakamichi Sound System?

1p7yj7.jpg

Hi,

Is this the standard stereo? Or the Nakamichi audio system? Is it possible to tell from this picture?

Car: 1998 ls400

Thanks

Hi

Welcome to the club... haven't a clue which one it is but at least all the display seems to be working and I haven't heard a bad one yet, they all seem pretty good.

Someone will come along soon and identify it....

Pete

I am fairly certain this is not the Nakamichi stereo system. The ones I have seen have it written on the head unit. I think it might be from Pioneer. I know the Mark Levinson units have it written on the front of the unit like on my LS430.

• Like 1

Think it's made by Pioneer. You see, it is identical in appearance to mine, but some pics I took when I had mine out (to send to Autosound to have display fixed) clearly show a label saying PIONEER.

Of course, they may be identical from driver's seat, but different on the inside!

• Like 1

hi, just as miq said its pioneer, also the amp under the driver seat is pioneer ... on a 95 anyway(ive been looking at mine so much lately but that doesent seem to fix it lol)

cheers

• Like 1

Is your car a mark 4 LS400 without the sat nav ? you mentioned your car is a '98 model and I noticed on the photo you have a 'VSC OFF' button.

If it is a mark 4 without sat nav, it may well be the Nakamichi sound system. (although it does not say “Nakamichi” on the photo like the mark 3 cars do, it does say “premium”). I remember reading somewhere when Lexus made the mark 4 they had an issue in that Nakamichi would not allow their head unit to be operated from a proprietary touch screen interface and / or around that time I think Nakamichi went bust ? Hence mk4 cars without the sat nav were fitted with the premium 280 watt Nakamichi sound system. The mark 4 LS400s with the touch screen sat nav were fitted with the 190 watt Pioneer sound system.

On the Mk3 cars the ones with the Nakamichi sound system had written on them “Nakamichi Premuim Sound System” with the Nakamichi Logo.

However I stand corrected :)

• 1 month later...
Wow, interesting info!! Yes it is a mark 4 without the sat nav. So probably it is nakamichi after all.... :)

Thanks!

Very weird feeling looking at the photos of your centre comsoles. My 1996 LS 400 is identical except completely the wrong (right) way round! Like looking in a mirror, does this mean mine is a nakamichi? :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
Is your car a mark 4 LS400 without the sat nav ? you mentioned your car is a '98 model and I noticed on the photo you have a 'VSC OFF' button.

If it is a mark 4 without sat nav, it may well be the Nakamichi sound system. (although it does not say “Nakamichi” on the photo like the mark 3 cars do, it does say “premium”). I remember reading somewhere when Lexus made the mark 4 they had an issue in that Nakamichi would not allow their head unit to be operated from a proprietary touch screen interface and / or around that time I think Nakamichi went bust ? Hence mk4 cars without the sat nav were fitted with the premium 280 watt Nakamichi sound system. The mark 4 LS400s with the touch screen sat nav were fitted with the 190 watt Pioneer sound system.

On the Mk3 cars the ones with the Nakamichi sound system had written on them “Nakamichi Premuim Sound System” with the Nakamichi Logo.

However I stand corrected :)

Don't all of the lexus sound systems that aren't the flash models still say "Lexus premium sound system" anyway? How good are the normal sound system? And how much better are the flash ones? I'm excited to find out, my Mark3 (yet to collect!!) has the standard stereo.