Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200/300 Tyre Wear

im24601

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im24601,

I replied to your other thread last week- just wanted to know how you got on.

I also have suffered from the tyre wear problems as well in the past. I am more than happy for you to add my name to your list, WIM (Tony) has my settings, in fact I was at WIM at the beginning of Feb for my fine tune. I am more than happy to email you my print outs from WIM, I don't have before and after pics of my tyres, as I had handling issues, rather than tyre wear problems.

Drury Lane (Oldham) also have attempted to cure my tyre wear problems, they also failed, so I decided to take a 400 mile round trip to WIM. At this point I had decided I would only let WIM set the geometry on my car.

Since Tony @ WIM did the geo.settings on my car, the handling and tyre wear is now perfect, much better than when the car was brand new. Uneven tyre wear is a thing of the past. :D

I did have a IS200 Sport on a 02 plate which I bought brand new and this had perfect handling and tyre wear, never needed alignment, so I was totally shocked when I spent £30k upgrading to a IS300 only to find it drove like a pig and tyres wore down so soon!

Today's update, as several of you have PM-ed me to ask...

Lexus dealership 60 miles from me (NOT my local one) state the tyre issue IS a well-known problem and they have the revised "less wide" variable settings. After 10 days of them not being able to find the website and several phone calls from me sounding hacked off, I am given this as a website - where all the new settings are, allegedly...

Of course, going into the service bay and printing off a copy from the alignment machine is all too much for them - as I know ranges will appear on that.

I wonder if I'd taken my car there asking for an alignment - they'd have given me a courtesy car for 10 days on the grounds that "we haven't been able to find the website where the settings are yet..."?

I have hunted high and low for them on here and I cannot find them.

Apparently, where the answers lie...

If anybody finds them, please could they let us all know what Lexus consider the revised geometry settings to be?

Cheers

Chris

Hi all,

I have joined this club today, just saw it on a google search. I have been reading problems with tyre wear and slipping on some of the threads. I have an 05 IS200SE with 17" alloys and Dunlop SP 8090 tyres.

I bought it brand new in Leicester and have driven 27000 miles so far, went for my third service today and Lexus as usual dropped me back to work and picked me up in the evening after servicing, excellent customer service.

I have experienced two problems:

1. I have slipped atleast 4 times on wet/slightly wet roads. On the motorway, the car dosent seem to have a very stable grip at high speeds. Lexus Leicester have checked out my tyres and traction control many times and havent found anything. They said that the tyres had too much air in them even though it was exactly as described in the manual.

2. Secondly, today I was told today that my front tyres had worn out. This is the report:

Inner Middle Outer

1.5 5 3

1.5 5 3

3 3 4

3 3.5 4

I am considering replacing the two front tyres and was wondering which ones to go for. I need tyres which have a better grip (two other people have had the slipping problem with the 8090 tyres). Do I need to do anything else?

Thans in advance for your help

OFFICIAL REVISED SETTINGS

Hurrah, fresh from the fax machine of a Lexus dealership somewhere just off the M4 - I have the "revised Lexus settings" for the IS200.

This is straight from Lexus' own UK intranet site which a service manager/assistant kindly faxed to me.

For those wondering whether I can substantiate this - yes, I'll give the intranet site that appears at the bottom of the fax page if you like.

FRONT GEOMETRY

TOE 0˚12’ +/- 06’

Acceptable Range 0˚06’ to 0˚18’

CAMBER -0˚30’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range -1˚00’ to 0˚00’

L/R Error 45’ MAX

CASTER 6˚07’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range 5˚37’ to 6˚37’

L/R Error 45’ MAX

SAI 9˚25’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range 8˚55’ to 9˚55’

L/R Error N/Adj

WHEEL ANGLE 41˚01’ +/- 00’

Acceptable Range 41˚01’ to 41˚01’

REAR GEOMETRY

TOE 0˚12’ +/- 12’

Acceptable Range 0˚00’ to 0˚24’

CAMBER -0˚55’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range -1˚25’ to -0˚25’

Tony...your thoughts on the "revised settings"????????????????????????????????????????

I had the same problem on my IS200 which Tony corrected for me.

Tony, are these settings correct or still wrong?

If they are correct and lexus have in fact admitted there was a fault is anyone with an IS and who has had inner tyre wear issues due compensation?

The settings are different from those stated under the "Specifications" from Lexus dealership 4-wheel alignment I had done (as advised by local dealership) in Aug '07 and Jan '08.

If the settings were perfect originally - as Lexus have consistently claimed, why would they have changed them?

To coin an old phrase - "if it ain't broken why change it?"

Class Action, anyone?

Ive not had my 2000 IS200 long, but I've had a good look at the tyres and I'm deffinately getting excessive wear on the inside edge of the fronts. They look like new on the outside, and are bald on the inside now, it has recently had the geometry set by a lexus dealer.

Good luck with this, i'll be keeping a close eye on this thread :D

Ste

OFFICIAL REVISED SETTINGS

Hurrah, fresh from the fax machine of a Lexus dealership somewhere just off the M4 - I have the "revised Lexus settings" for the IS200.

This is straight from Lexus' own UK intranet site which a service manager/assistant kindly faxed to me.

For those wondering whether I can substantiate this - yes, I'll give the intranet site that appears at the bottom of the fax page if you like.

FRONT GEOMETRY

TOE 0˚12’ +/- 06’

Acceptable Range 0˚06’ to 0˚18’

CAMBER -0˚30’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range -1˚00’ to 0˚00’

L/R Error 45’ MAX

CASTER 6˚07’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range 5˚37’ to 6˚37’

L/R Error 45’ MAX

SAI 9˚25’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range 8˚55’ to 9˚55’

L/R Error N/Adj

WHEEL ANGLE 41˚01’ +/- 00’

Acceptable Range 41˚01’ to 41˚01’

REAR GEOMETRY

TOE 0˚12’ +/- 12’

Acceptable Range 0˚00’ to 0˚24’

CAMBER -0˚55’ +/- 30’

Acceptable Range -1˚25’ to -0˚25’

Tony...your thoughts on the "revised settings"????????????????????????????????????????

These are exactly the same figures as before, nothing has changed!!... I think they are pacifying you because by now most people would have given up and gone home by now.... Keep at it Chris we are all behind you.

Hi again,

I was hoping to get a reply to my post number 32 please. Lexus are changing my alloys next week because of corrosion, luckily they are still in warranty. I was hoping to get a reply about the type of tyres to buy as the SP8090 ones make the car slip, it happenned again today.

Thanks

Abhinav

Hi again,

I was hoping to get a reply to my post number 32 please. Lexus are changing my alloys next week because of corrosion, luckily they are still in warranty. I was hoping to get a reply about the type of tyres to buy as the SP8090 ones make the car slip, it happenned again today.

Thanks

Abhinav

Goodyear Eagle F1's are highly recommended although i personally rate Avon ZZ3's, no slipping at all in fact they stick like glue and very reasonable @ £63 each + fitting.

If your car is 'slipping' as you say you may have a geometry problem or something else causing this. Generally speaking i always thought the IS was a very sturdy car.

Hi again,

Thanks

Abhinav

Goodyear Eagle F1's are highly recommended although i personally rate Avon ZZ3's, no slipping at all in fact they stick like glue and very reasonable @ £63 each + fitting.

If your car is 'slipping' as you say you may have a geometry problem or something else causing this. Generally speaking i always thought the IS was a very sturdy car.

Well the lexus standard fit WAS DUNLOP SP9000L but they have discontinued these...they still do the sp9000 just not the lexus version...they had one extra ply in the side wall i believe?

ive now got a set of PIRRELLI PZERO ROSSO...not yet bed in but seem to be very good so far...should get alot better with being used..

as for your car slipping i would say get ya geometry done as could be the problem aswell

Hi again,

Thanks

Abhinav

Well the lexus standard fit WAS DUNLOP SP9000L but they have discontinued these...they still do the sp9000 just not the lexus version...they had one extra ply in the side wall i believe?

ive now got a set of PIRRELLI PZERO ROSSO...not yet bed in but seem to be very good so far...should get alot better with being used..

as for your car slipping i would say get ya geometry done as could be the problem aswell

I'll have another chat with the Lexus guys next week about the geometry, just want to try different tyres hoping that the slipping will stop. To be honest I do drive a bit fast around the bends but I dont think thats reason enough for such a car to slip.

Your car slipping will be because the geometry is incorrect. My car was the same, very loose and floaty around corners and also i was getting inside tyre wear.

I had the tracking set to the manufacturers settings and the car felt the same so i just thought it was the way the car handled and i was still getting inside tyre wear. I had a look through the owners club and noticed that the issue was one many people had.

I went to see Tony at WIM and after having the geometry set to the revised settings the car handled much better and no more inside tyre wear and so my conclusion was that the problem was the geometry, due to the fact i had the car set to the lexus standard a month or so earlier i was able to say this accurately and without bias.

In my opinion the way my car handled on the manufacturers settings was loose and to be perfectly honest un-safe.

I hope this answers your question agulihar and also relates directly to the topic of conversation.