Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200/300 Tyre Wear

im24601

Back to the original purpose of this thread, before it was hijacked...

Yesterday (Friday) I sent a detailed 3-page document for the Personal & Private Attention of the Managing Director of Lexus (GB) Ltd, by recorded delivery on the tyre wear issue.

I promised him that I was not going to publish the letter here for now, but reserved the right to post it at a later date, and any response he makes on this specific matter.

Would anybody like to know what the MD has to say on this subject????????

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday (Friday) I sent a detailed 3-page document for the Personal & Private Attention of the Managing Director of Lexus (GB) Ltd, by recorded delivery on the tyre wear issue.

I promised him that I was not going to publish the letter here for now, but reserved the right to post it at a later date, and any response he makes on this specific matter.

I think the entire club is waiting with baited breath.....

yep! thats true but they dont really care or wont admit it because it may leave them open to claims for tyre wear etc

if there is no reply i would contact every single motoring programme there was - try top gear as they hate toyota anyway!

i was told by lexus nottingham that it was a 'characteristic' of the car just like the high fuel consumption!!

i did insisit that they should contact WIM and get the settings from there as it was a known issue on the owners club.

if its any help i have the print out where they advised that the new revised settings were applied, not really knowing which they used i just took there word that it would solve the problem...

to be fair though, my geo was done there as it was paid for from the company that i bought the car off and it seems to be ok.. 10,000 miles and no strange tyre wear! dont know if its got anything to do with the weight in the boot??

i was told by lexus nottingham that it was a 'characteristic' of the car just like the high fuel consumption!!

i did insisit that they should contact WIM and get the settings from there as it was a known issue on the owners club.

if its any help i have the print out where they advised that the new revised settings were applied, not really knowing which they used i just took there word that it would solve the problem...

to be fair though, my geo was done there as it was paid for from the company that i bought the car off and it seems to be ok.. 10,000 miles and no strange tyre wear! dont know if its got anything to do with the weight in the boot??

I would love to see that printout..... Two reasons..

1: Are they using wim's settings

2: Any change from the stock positions after so many years is a confession the OEM settings where wrong!

Recently I posted what one Lexus dealership refers to as the "revised settings". These, to me, are different to the ones that my local dealership use (according to my print-outs).

For those who have the spec' ranges on their 4-wheel alignments to hand, done by Lexus could people please let me know which dealerships are using the "revised settings" and which ones aren't.

I am starting to wonder if different dealerships do different alignments.

I perceive the "old settings" (as used by my local dealership) to be where, on the front axle the acceptable

Caster range: 5˚16' - 6˚16',

Camber range: -0˚51' - 0˚09'

Toe range: -0˚06' - 0˚18'

To compare like for like - the settings for mine are for an IS200 (2001) no mods on 17" low-profile.

I know that some on here have an issue naming names so for those to whom that applies - please PM me details.

Thanks in advance.

God-willing tomorrow (Monday 25 Feb) the MD at Lexus GB Ltd should receive, by recorded delivery, my "Without Prejudice" letter.

I have given him a link to this thread on the forum so he can see not only the "one-off" which are my tyres but also comments made by others on this site who have experienced the same (difficult because I am the only one who has experienced this, according to Customer Relations...)

For reasons which will become obvious shortly I am not going to publish my letter on this forum for the time being however, (and at this point I will quote from my letter...)

I reserve the right to post it on there [LOC] at a later date and any response you choose to make. I have no doubt that my fellow LOC members will be keen to learn what the Managing Director of Lexus is going to do about this most blatant of manufacturers' errors.

And now the important bit...

With effect from tomorrow I shall be starting a new thread, entitled "The response from the MD of Lexus GB Ltd re: Tyre Wear".

As soon as I get a response I shall, as indicated, post it on here for all to read. For each day I don't get a response (and he has my email address) I will simply add a reply of "Nothing heard."

Of course, the MD will be able to read exactly what you are reading now and will know that the longer it takes for him to respond - the more Nothing heards there will be on the new thread.

As such I would kindly ask all members to NOT REPLY on that thread until the MD has responded: after that - post away!

If there are any questions, please PM me.

With very many thanks in advance.

Chris

The sad thing is - this could have so very easily have all been avoided a long time ago...

For those new to this issue, please read through the above thread - or ask any IS200/IS300 or GS driver as they are bound to have experienced it...

I don't believe this is an issue on the GS??

2: Any change from the stock positions after so many years is a confession the OEM settings where wrong!

will put the scanner to work tomorrow and post accordingly!

will put the scanner to work tomorrow and post accordingly!

Your a star.... Addy= tony@wheels-inmotion.co.uk

uploaded for all to see..

can anybody tell me which settings they use?

alignmentvz3.th.jpg

wim's settings.... Although they didn't measure the castor angle so the final positions are a little blind.

so the plot thickens and a suggestion as you said that the oem settings are incorrect!!

Fair play to lexus nottingham for doing the right thing for the customer but would be nice if Leus GB could acknowledge WIM's work!!

Will be down to see WIM anyway once my boot install and suspension is all finished cause im sure due to the weigh it will need to be started from scratch!!

hope this has been some help to the cause!!

My SC had the fronts changed at 12,000 miles due to inner tyre wear.

I've just had a service today at 20,000 miles and everything is fine except inner tyre wear.

Lexus document the wear at 3 points across the tyres so they have comprehensive evidence of the problems across the range.

My old Supra and both celicas had similar problems over a 15 year period.

The only way to reduce the inner tyre wear is to drive slowly around corners which we have been doing! - or buy another brand.

As a comparison my 350Z front tyres lasted 24,000 miles on identical roads.

Paul

My SC had the fronts changed at 12,000 miles due to inner tyre wear.

I've just had a service today at 20,000 miles and everything is fine except inner tyre wear.

Lexus document the wear at 3 points across the tyres so they have comprehensive evidence of the problems across the range.

My old Supra and both celicas had similar problems over a 15 year period.

The only way to reduce the inner tyre wear is to drive slowly around corners which we have been doing! - or buy another brand.

As a comparison my 350Z front tyres lasted 24,000 miles on identical roads.

Paul

No manufacturer intentionally designs a car to wear tyres this dangerously.... We have established the settings for the 200/300 are wrong since the wear problem can be resolved but Lexus won't admit the problem so people blindly have the car set to the incorrect settings.

this has been going on for a few years now, surely its high time Lexus GB admitted its at fault and moves on. or are they waiting for the cars to get old and for the problem to just go away?