Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Consumption

Steve1970

Hi All,

57 Plate IS220d SE –Multimedia (3000miles done)

Only 30-40 mpg (40 if I drive like a typical Sunday driver!)

Rough on start-up (sounds like a concrete mixer) and has been known to take 10 seconds to fire up

6th gear unusable under 75mph

Does anybody relate to the above issues?

My dealer (Cheltenham) has had the car twice now, the first time the ECU was remapped and the second time they had it for the day to inspect the fuel pump.

Apparently Lexus are still fitting a rogue fuel pump which can cause over-fuelling. The only way to tell is if the dealer takes the fuel pump off and inspects the specification number of the pump.

Mine was the non rogue pump and so the dealer rinsed it through and re-fitted it but the issues described above still persist.

Any ideas???

Still love my Lexus though!! :)

Hi All,

Rough on start-up (sounds like a concrete mixer) and has been known to take 10 seconds to fire up

My dealer (Cheltenham) has had the car twice now, the first time the ECU was remapped and the second time they had it for the day to inspect the fuel pump.

Apparently Lexus are still fitting a rogue fuel pump which can cause over-fuelling. The only way to tell is if the dealer takes the fuel pump off and inspects the specification number of the pump.

Mine was the non rogue pump and so the dealer rinsed it through and re-fitted it but the issues described above still persist.

Any ideas???

6th gear is an overdrive gear and will not pull whatsoever, above 80 ish an its alrite, have you had the modified fifth injector fitted? also have themcheck the egr valve for clogging up, i personally have had over fifty mpg out of the diesel, and i know of 1 tech getting 61

Hi All,

Any ideas???

6th gear is an overdrive gear and will not pull whatsoever, above 80 ish an its alrite, have you had the modified fifth injector fitted? also have themcheck the egr valve for clogging up, i personally have had over fifty mpg out of the diesel, and i know of 1 tech getting 61

Any idea what the 5th injector refers too? As far as I have seen, a cylinder head has only one injector per pot. Is this refering to the main diesel rail? If anybody can explain, would be grateful.

the 220d diesels have a fifth injector which adds extra fuel when the engine is under heavy load, early models had a problem where to much fuel was being added and not burnt causing the injector to clog up, at the time there were no modified parts available an the cars had the fifth injector replaced and an ecu remap was carried out in order to prevent this happening again, modified parts are now available and all diesels are proactively remapped with the new engine flash update

ps the fifth injector is round the back of the cylinder head close to the bulkhead

the 220d diesels have a fifth injector which adds extra fuel when the engine is under heavy load, early models had a problem where to much fuel was being added and not burnt causing the injector to clog up, at the time there were no modified parts available an the cars had the fifth injector replaced and an ecu remap was carried out in order to prevent this happening again, modified parts are now available and all diesels are proactively remapped with the new engine flash update

ps the fifth injector is round the back of the cylinder head close to the bulkhead

is my car which was delivered in november07 likely to require any modified parts do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

is my car which was delivered in november07 likely to require any modified parts do you think?

Hi all

Your car has already the modified fifth injector (which is fitted since july 2007), and has surely the last ECU soft (the 6th soft and probably the last !) which exists since dec 2007... So your your problem is not caused by these parts.

Concerning the fuel pump, can you tell me if what your dealer told you about it : Does it concern is220d models of 2007 only, or even before ? And when was this problem corrected in production ?

• 8 months later...

I've also got an 07 is220d and am happy with it except for the fuel and oil consumption. Just stepped out of a 2.0 tdi Audi which i was getting 44mpg. I'm now getting a miserable 32mpg if i drive like a grandad. The vehicle also seems to be burning an excess amount of oil to me? Am i being daft or should i take it to the dealer (this is a major hassle for me).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I have just bought a IS 220d after a few years withan Audi A4 1.9TDI

I am getting on average 33 mpg compared to to 48-50 I was getting in my old Audi.

Teh Lexus is a lovely car but unless I can get the fuel consumption sorted it is going

33mpg your a lucky one, mines 29/30 if you read the form you will find plenty about this issue some getting better mpg whilst others like me and you in the low 30's

make sure that your car has had the ecu re-map and injector change, mine has but it hasnt helped

33mpg your a lucky one, mines 29/30 if you read the form you will find plenty about this issue some getting better mpg whilst others like me and you in the low 30's

make sure that your car has had the ecu re-map and injector change, mine has but it hasnt helped

I am taking it back to the dealer on Tuesday to get it checked out.

If they can't fix it I will give it back to them and get another Audi which is a real pity because I think it is a lovely car but I do a lot of miles and I really cannot justify that sort of consumption when so many other diesels are so much more economical.

I've also got an 07 is220d and am happy with it except for the fuel and oil consumption. Just stepped out of a 2.0 tdi Audi which i was getting 44mpg. I'm now getting a miserable 32mpg if i drive like a grandad. The vehicle also seems to be burning an excess amount of oil to me? Am i being daft or should i take it to the dealer (this is a major hassle for me).

Had the SE first. Like many say the 6th gear was useless other than at high speeds. I had no problems really with consumption, returning 40-45ish. Got the Sport model after that, suppose to be 5mpg worse off but not seen much change, different ratio box on them, you can let the car drive itself in sixth 30mph without stalling. 50mile round trip to work at at about 37 mph average (heavy but steady taffic) getting 500 mile to tank average 40.6 - 43.5mpg. Had it up to 48.6 on a 245 mile trip M6 sitting at 65 cruise control on the other day.

Had the fifth injector changed at first service but no probs at all with Oil. I would defo be back to the dealer if it's using oil.

• 1 month later...

Take it to the dealer - 32mpg is crap

I also had the issue of oil consumption - just before the last service it burnt about a litre in just over 2000 miles, hadn't used much before that. Lexus basically dismissed this as normal, I disagree. It was puffing a lot of blue smoke. It's now been in for a new cat, either damaged from over fueling or oil....

I am taking it back to the dealer on Tuesday to get it checked out.

If they can't fix it I will give it back to them and get another Audi which is a real pity because I think it is a lovely car but I do a lot of miles and I really cannot justify that sort of consumption when so many other diesels are so much more economical.

Have got a 220D which was giving an average of 29mpg. Lots of electronic problems with it not unlocking or getting a green start sign. Lexus finally agreed to change the ECU. Car now averages 40mpg combined, heavy traffic and motorways, with air con on and 3 people. Also not driving slowly and using cars acceleration. Not bad for a vehicle of its type. Pity it took several months before they agreed the ECU was totally stuffed. Would suggest you push for ECU change, re-programming doesn't work!

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased an 07 220d 3 weeks ago. After reading the posts re consumption I set off on holiday which involved a 400 mile drive on various road types.

i must admit i was a bit concerned about how much fuel i would need but was delighted to average 55.4 mpg over the course of the journey.

Either I am very fortunate or have a dodgy on board computer. Speeds varied from 30 mph to 70 mph on country roads/ motorways.

Do tend to use cruise control whenever possible. Hope the mpg remains at this level.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Any ideas???

Hi All,

Any ideas???

hi all

i got is220d an 09 model sel top spec and i did a round trip of 300 miles and i got 47.5 mpg with avg speed of 55mph i think thats very good also had oil problems i did 3000 miles in mine and put 1 litter in the dealer said it was due to running in the car so they top up for me and said any more oil you use to come back and they top it up for me. I bought mine from stoke lexus they very good to me

I also had the issue of oil consumption - just before the last service it burnt about a litre in just over 2000 miles, hadn't used much before that. Lexus basically dismissed this as normal, I disagree. It was puffing a lot of blue smoke. It's now been in for a new cat, either damaged from over fueling or oil....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links