Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are Supra 4 Pot Calipers Worth It?

Anees

Hi guys,

I have been looking at brake upgrades for the Aristo. I don't need a BBK for road use, but plan to try and eventually get the car up to around 450bhp so want brakes that are up to it! I have been reading on the net about the possibilites and MK4 Supra Calipers seem to be a good value upgrade, especually with a few sets of the UK spec ones on eBay.

I have not read much about the improvements they make to actual stopping power. I know Stav got some for his IS200 and didn't really notice a big difference. Any Aristo owners gone this route and is it worthwhile? They do look nice. Is it worth getting the rears too (which are 2-pot I believe)?

Thanks,

Anees

The supra TT imports have the same brakes as you have now, and yet UK spec kits are commonly fitted instead, along with braided hose lines then yes there is a diff, certainly i am in the middle of fitting mine.

can get you brand spanking new (in the box) set with TRD pads for 400 quid (fronts only). the bigger discs will set you back 60 quid each from toyota.

Hi guys,

I have been looking at brake upgrades for the Aristo. I don't need a BBK for road use, but plan to try and eventually get the car up to around 450bhp so want brakes that are up to it! I have been reading on the net about the possibilites and MK4 Supra Calipers seem to be a good value upgrade, especually with a few sets of the UK spec ones on ebay.

I have not read much about the improvements they make to actual stopping power. I know Stav got some for his IS200 and didn't really notice a big difference. Any Aristo owners gone this route and is it worthwhile? They do look nice. Is it worth getting the rears too (which are 2-pot I believe)?

Thanks,

Anees

First of all congratulations on your purchase. I am using the Supra brake kit on my Aristo and compare with the standard brakes the actual stopping power has greatly improved. I have never used BBK so i cannot comment. Judging from your photos you might need to change your rims, I am running on 18" rims and for heating issues i have installed spacers. Hope this helps.

Yes I am prepared to get new larger rims anyway, so not too worried about the clearance issue....

Peter - Thanks for the kind words. :) Did you get only the front supra brakes or the rears too?

Paul - Let us know how you get on with yours :) Thanks for the info about the new calipers. Do TRD actually make their own pads then or are they just rebranded?

Yes I am prepared to get new larger rims anyway, so not too worried about the clearance issue....

Peter - Thanks for the kind words. :) Did you get only the front supra brakes or the rears too?

Paul - Let us know how you get on with yours :) Thanks for the info about the new calipers. Do TRD actually make their own pads then or are they just rebranded?

Remember that black aristo we had a look at ? that had TRD BIG BRAKE KIT FITTED :D

Only on the fronts, my relative installed Tom's brake kit....3 times more expensive but does not equal 3 times more stopping power. Previously i used TRD pads...produced great amount of brake dust, now i am using Toyota pads.

Sadly price is not always an indication of performance, and you will find that some "expensive" break upgrades have little improvement for the extra cost (whether this is for the Aristo or any other car I've owned). Often it is as much down to driving style and the road surface and condition than the car itself.

If you want improvement in the car's breaking my advice is the following cost to performance route:

1. Use better quality pads (currently good quality Green Pads on Anees Aristo, so not much you can do here).

2. Replace breaklines with stainless/braided and use high grade break fluid.

3. Find replacement performance discs to fit your wheels/calipers.

4. Replace all the above and add larger new calipers (probably means new larger wheels).

5. Choose some good larger rims and quality rubber tyres.

UK Supra break upgrade is good for the MK2 Aristo, and I've seen one with LS400 breaks fitted. Be aware of import parts as these often aren't any different to what you already have if you have an inport car already. However, ask yourself how and where you will be using the car. I suspect that larger wheels, replacement pipes, good break fluid, quality pads, and modest priced replacement discs (ie: groved) will do it for everyday use. More or bigger surface area calipers/pads take you a step further with quality tyres.

The main thing is that you need to do is for all four wheels (especially as there is four wheel steer breakout on Anees car) - get the breaking balance wrong and the car will handle like a JCB.

Be careful on bleeding the breaks on the Aristo, as I'm told that air in the system can ruin the master cycliner (which is an expensive hobby).

If in doubt, take your foot off the accelerator early!!!

The standard calipers will lock the wheels and bring in the ABS from pretty high speed. Pads make a big difference. With (I think) Blueprint pads, my GS was not particularly inspiring. Mintex pads off eBay feel a lot better and you can feel them, if anything, working better as they heat up during a stop from high speed, where the original pads faded.

I'd say that, unless you are doing repeated stops from high speed, the original brakes and decent pads are fine. However, there are advantages to the Supra brakes -- looks, bragging rights, and you get rid of the sliding calipers :). I hate sliding calipers.