Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alfa Bashing At Their Ownership Club

Manps

A relaxing Friday at work as usual, i came across this thread at the Alfa ownership site (don't ask how :offtopic: ):

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/other-marqu...tml#post1596210

Basically a load of them discussing the lexus is200, not in a favourable way.

Everyone's opinion has to be valued so its all good but i couldn't help myself from signing up and responding....

Have a read...

No problems with Alfa's, i actually like them but can't let a bad word about the lexus pass :winky:

Manps

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really cant understand some of the comments on the 'lexus premium brand' thread even though it is there opinion.

I used to like Alfa's but thats out the window now :lol:

Also, if they are going to slag of the IS they could at least get the right figures!! It's 153 bhp 9.2 0-60 and they will do more than 135!!! :whistling:

Re: I Had A Crackin' 30 Mile 'Duel' Up The A19 With A Lexus IS200 Tonight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Its took Manps 3 months to admit that Roswell wupped him on the A19.

Hang on an M and a P in his name Sorry.

Haahhhaa... don't think it was me as i haven't raced anyone on anyroad in my life.... i leave that to burberry cap wearing, about to get or already have an ASBO drivers like you mate.. woooohoooo

Peace all, no more time some of us have got work, projects and people to manage... i'll leave you to playing gran turismo

After my latest response i think i may no longer be welcome at the alfa site.... oh well thats enough now... time to be mature an leave it... it was good whilst it lasted, hopefully it will amuse everyone on this site.

See ya

Manps

Nice one! Hopefully thats bought them glorified fiat owners down a peg or two!

The person with the lexus probably didn't even rise to the "race" anyway

Sorry but I grew out of that sort of thing years ago. Besides a lexus is not intended to be a performance car Its a luxury car, and the sort of people that own them dont go looking to race the other cars in the Mc donalds carpark.

Besides going fast in a straight line on the road is not a race anyway. If you want to race me its on a circuit with my track car!

I would never buy my Alfa even if it was the last car on earth (which i doubt it would last that long)

Some of the new stuff is nice looking.. buts that it. Nothing else you can say about the Alfa.

I think they need some ego massaging on there... must hurt knowing that the Lexus is a much better car and quality throughout. :D

Yup. A glorified toyota owner with nothing to prove!
Agreed!
I'm suprised the Alfa lasted 30 miles without breaking down!

They go on about Japanese cars being boring. Better boring and working than beautiful and broken eh?

My IS isn’t boring and I think it looks great. If you ask me, Alfas tend to look odd rather than beautiful.

Some stuff is boring.. but like anything note a brand that doesnt have a boring model in their range (well most popular ones anyway)

Toyota have dished out some beautiful stuff over the years but also boring stuff. Meets the needs of everyone i guess.

I think with some of the comments I hear lately about jap cars, some people have been watching too much Top Gear lately... always the same comments about everything thats mentioned on that program.

The only way to knw whats good i guess is to own one or have the privilage to test drive one for a while.

My comments are purely based on what i see... alfas with its bonnet up LOL

When I last went to Nice in the south of France I managed to hire an Alfa Romeo GT diesel. I must admit I did kind of like it, for 2 minutes. The interior wasn't as well built as that of a Peugeot 206 (and that's saying somthing), the central display constantly said it was full of oil when it didn't have any, and it all ended in a big pool of oil and smoke in the middle of Monte Carlo. Yes, I know, your all thinking "don't be gentle, it's a rental" but all I did was rev up to 2,000 rpm and let the clutch come up lightly then BOOM. Had a Toyota Avensis diesel after.

Well if you can compare character to unreliability, then Alfa Romeo has character in spades.

LOL at your comments manps, Alfa's have such poor build quality

A mate of mine had a 156. When he took me for a drive in it, he showed me a sticker at the top right of the window which went along the lines of "Make sure you keep an eye on the oil level" and wryly told me that the engine could run for quite a while with a dry sump....

The engine sounded sweet but I'm not sure that I could have lived with the (red) interior or fwd. Red looks great in a Maserati, but in a 156, it just looks like a pimp mobile.

alfas have been around for decades and have some lovely looking classics

some of the new models are very nice

but boy do they have a bad reliability, corrosion, depreciation record and seemingly immature owners :whistling:

the points they make are that the IS200 is a slow car, and it is !!

we all know that :rolleyes:

the points they make are that the IS200 is a slow car, and it is !!

we all know that :rolleyes:

Having owned two IS200s and done over 110k miles in them, I still have a soft spot for them. Before the engine is on song, yes they're a bit pedestrian, but once over 4,500rpm, they're a hoot. I had both of mine flat out* - once on a mercy mission down the A14 and once when putting some manners on a BMW on one of the local parkways. I found that the faster you went, the faster it went if you see what I mean.

When someone asks you what car you drive and you say "a Lexus", you don't get asked "which one" (as you do with a BMW/Mercedes/Audi) or "a what?" (Alfa Romeo). When someone asks SWMBO what I drive, she just says "a Lexus" and they go quiet.

(* I know it wasn't big or clever)

My mate had a 147 1.6, lovely looking car but after six months of ownership he used to have put in a litre of oil every month :o

i had a diesel galant at the same time and it NEVER needed oil between services .....

when he sold it on he got alot less than you'd expect for a 2 year old car..... he won't be buying another one ;)

:lol: That tickled me.

I've never liked them. I don't know why but they've just not appealed to me. I don't know which model it was but my cousin had one many years ago - it absolutely flew! He did get rid of it because of its faults though.

:lol: That tickled me.

I've never liked them. I don't know why but they've just not appealed to me. I don't know which model it was but my cousin had one many years ago - it absolutely flew! He did get rid of it because of its faults though.

You've just reminded me of the time my boss drove me from Huntingdon to Stevenage in his 164 Twinspark Jobbie. Fog suddenly came down and he said "nobody's going to run in to the back of me!" and pushed the front and rear fog light switches. When he let go of both, the rear fog light switch launched itself towards the rear seats. "Hmm - that's quality" I thought to myself.

So my comment:

So it took you 30 miles to catch up!!! 0-60 is 9.2 on the Is200, 156bhp

So you can go an extra 3mph quicker.So the Lexus is only a second slower 0-60 and sure how often do u get to go flat out doing any more than 135mph!

You cant really compare the Alfa range to anything in the Lexus range. All they are is nice looking Fiats! I know what i would prefer to be driving!

"Toyota, the best built cars in the World".

Had Alfa's as rentals twice while on holidays, problems both times. Was considering getting one of the new ones to see if the reliability was just a thing of the past, but don't think i would be willing to take the risk

So my comment:
So it took you 30 miles to catch up!!! 0-60 is 9.2 on the Is200, 156bhp

So you can go an extra 3mph quicker.So the Lexus is only a second slower 0-60 and sure how often do u get to go flat out doing any more than 135mph!

You cant really compare the Alfa range to anything in the Lexus range. All they are is nice looking Fiats! I know what i would prefer to be driving!

"Toyota, the best built cars in the World".

Had Alfa's as rentals twice while on holidays, problems both times. Was considering getting one of the new ones to see if the reliability was just a thing of the past, but don't think i would be willing to take the risk

Perhaps we should all look out for Alfas next time we're out and about. If there's any chance of a bit of fun, note down the model and the distance travelled and post the results here. No doubt there will be an infiltrator here who will post back to the Alfa forum and we can see how it looks from the other side...