Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Uk Ls430 Vs Merc S430

The time has finaly come and I am now looking to buy either an LS430 or a Merc S430. I have owned Lexi for 6 years (2 GS300's and currently a V300 twin Turbo import )and I am looking for some input from LS430 owners.

1) What other cars did you consider? I have driven the S430, but unlike LS430 not everything is standard (Leather as an example). - Im test driving a BMW 745 next week, but whilst the toy count is high, i'm not expecting it to surpass the Lexus in terms of noise, audio and refinement.

2) As an LS430 owner do you have any "niggles" - things that you dont like - layout of switches, what features on the car dont you use?... novelty factor etc.

3) Am I mad looking to buy a new one or should I shop arround for a quality used late reg?

4) What kind of dealer experiences have you had? (Ive had nightmares with Lexus dealers in general, although Lexus Leicester and Toyota in Japan have been excellent) - When your car is serviced are you offered the "skoda" or the "sorry we dont have a courtesy car available until 2007"? (Mercedes and BMW have both offered a like for like without exception)

5) What element of the LS430 couldnt you live without? (apartfrom all of it!)

Your thoughts much appreciated

Rik

I've got a new Mercedes E class and I have to say the dealer service is pretty appalling. I've been to a couple of dealers and even to look at issues with a brand new car they are saying 5 weeks and that's without a courtesy car. I've never had any such problems with Lexus dealers.

Thats outrageous!

If that was my car I'd be straight onto trading standards as the car obviously isnt fit for it's purpose in which it was sold. I'm guessing you spent the best part of 30+k on it - you dont need waste time on it - get a lawyer on it now!

5 weeks old?..... L A W Y E R!

i dont own a LS but i been in one when my dad test drove it.

tell you what, there very nice inside, all the extras in the back, heated massaging rear seats, center armrest folds down with switches to control the audio. air conditioned compartment for drinks behind armrest. very nice.

dad was very very impressed with the cars performance and ride quality, handling etc.

but...................and heres the thing, he's a Merc man, always has been although owned a few other marques.

he's having an S class or a Cl next year. he prefers the styling and he loves the drive equally to the Lexus.

think if the lexus looked better on the exterior he would go for it.

my oppinion- the merc, ok you have to pay for the extras unless you get the 500 or bigger engines although there are still options available whereas the Lexus has it all standard.

love the look of the S class with some big 19" AMG alloys. shame about the standard alloys.

aint driven one but i will do though.

thought Lexus was let down by looks but thats just mine and my old mans oppinion.!!

dunno bout the 7 series except the i-drive is a ***** to use!!! tried it and wasnt impressed.

all nice cars in there own way but i'd go wit the S Class

choice is yours mate

If your interested look here for some of the problems I've had:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread....=&threadid=1080

I finally managed to get it into the dealer on tuesday. They changed the wheel and the ash tray (I first reported these problems in early Jan) but for the other issues I've had with electronic niggles and the drivers door not unlocking they say it needs a new ECU from the factory which tye have ordered. I guess to fix bugs in the software. They said it will take a week to get but probably then another 5 weeks to be able to get the car booked in (longer if I want a courtest car). So still every morning it takes me several attempts to unlock the drivers door, its only when the car has been left for a while.

But these are only minor niggles really, I love the car, its a dream to drive and I don't regret buying it at all.

ricky- i read your posts on the MB owners club link you posted and its terrible. bet it pisses u off when you paid all that money and it goes wrong. i would of taken it to the dealers and got it checked and sorted straight away.

i agree wit u bout the car being to clever for its own good though haha

as for the dealers. well the ones in stafford are ****ers (rhymes with bankers). my dad asked them to change the bulbs over the stereo and jus coz its an older merc they didnt do it even though it went in for a service. i would of beat the dealer till he agreed to do it.

ones in wolverhampton are good though.

get the car sorted mate and hassle them til its done, take no bull from them!

mitch

id just read between the lines here............if its taking 5 weeks to get the work done that would tell me that you MB deler is swamped with warrenty claims/work

theres another site i found ages ago

www.mercedeslemon.com

The S-class will probably hold it's value better, even if it isn't as toy loaded as the LS430. (However, Merc will be more likely to have things go wrong with it than the LS, based on my LS versus my friends S-class.)

Have you thought about the new Jaguar - all the magazines reviews rate it very highly and compare it with the S-Class, and my experience of Jaguar dealers is that they are universally brilliant.

Best regards

Red

PS. Lexus at Hatfield (HR Owen) are my dealer and I've always had excellent service from them - they even drop the loan car off at my house when collecting mine etc. I live about 20 miles away, so it's not exactly convenient for them, and they always dropo off/pick up at 7.30am, so I'm not late getting into work in the loan car - not too bad I reckon!

heard it many times that mercedez have been having lots of problems.. also heard the same with jaguar.

best thing to do is have a test drive... then see you back here with your new Lexus and loving it! ;) :D

Thamks for the comments chaps,

I agree the ls430 appearance is a bit "loony", but i'll be inside most of the time and thats where it seems to excel.

I go out to the USA on business quite a bit and always try and get jaguars as hire cars as those american things are just huge boats! - But the only thing with the new jags is that they have been designed for the US - all the switchgear is perfect for left hand drive, but the right handers are a bit odd - but i guess the US market is obviously a bigger one.

I had a good mince through the MB sites and there are some real horror stories - again i guess most Mf's have them?....

Playa is right that if you buy an s500 or s600 everything is standard, but for that sort of money i'd pay a bit more and opt for the clarkson "gay" car.....

The sclass does look nice, but look like a fat c class now and ive just read theres a facelift coming next year.... I'm feeling more inclined to go down the LS430 route now, but I am testing the beemer next week... :alien:

Rik

New Ls end of this year will look more like S class :whistling:

Oh sorry answer to your question it is your choice the merc looks better but the LS is the better car.

I have one at a very good price if you are intrested 2001/Y premium tints parking sensors one owner 11kmiles very nice car good price

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links