Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Getting A Is200 But Which Model?

carpetmonster

Hi Guys - im a newbie and getting my first Lexus in a few months.

Decided on the is200 and my budget is around the 10k mark but it may well creep up if I see something that takes my eye!

My first question is - "what is the difference between the is200 and the is200 sport?"

Would it be worth buying a standard is200 and splashing the money i saved on wheels, body kit etc?

Cheers in advance for any answers or ideas!

Tommo.

Welcome to the club mate

First things first there are 6 versions of the IS200. You have the S, SE, SE Navigator, Sport, Sport Navigator and Limited Edition. There is nothing different about performance or engine, it is mainly looks on exterior and interior (apart from one thing).

I would recommend getting the Sport or Limited Edition (but only get this if you dont mind yellow as thats all it comes in).

With the Sport (or Sport Navigator although i have heard the sat nav isnt brilliant) you get Exterior - spoiler, rear tinited windows with sport decals, 17" alloys (but you also get this on the SE) and it is 10mm lower. Interior - half leather (also on the SE), alloy pedals, alloy gear knob, two tone steering wheel. Also, on the sport you ge the LSD (Limited Slip Differential). I think that is it but i may have missed something off and i'm sure someone will be able to help me out.

The Sport and LE are grup 13 insurance and the S and SE are group 12. There are also models about with bodykit's on that where an optional extra from the factory and these where added to any model i believe. You can still purchase these kit's and add them yourself though.

Your best option is to look at an SE and Sport up close and see if the extras on the Sport are what you want. If you need any more help just shout.

as rikos says i would look at a sport or SE - all depends on your cash situation, the older models are cheap at the moment and you get a lot of car for the money.

check the front tyres for wear on the inside as this is a common problem but easy solved if the correct geometry settings are used - also check for difficult gear changes from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd also for clutch judder. dont worry too much about mileage as the engines will last a long time - check if the water pump shows signs of leakage also indicated by a red deposit around the top of the pump.

Wow.

Amazing response - thankyou.

Yeah, I think ill go for the Sport. Just saw an 03 plate on Autotrader for around 10k with 40k on the clock.

Ill be going from a Pug 306 hdi (modded) so I think anything Lexus is going to blow me away!

Im looking at adding some 19" wheels, grille and a maybe later on, a bodykit.

Ill put some pics up when I bring her home.

Thanks for the welcome!

Wow.

Amazing response - thankyou.

Yeah, I think ill go for the Sport. Just saw an 03 plate on Autotrader for around 10k with 40k on the clock.

Ill be going from a Pug 306 hdi (modded) so I think anything Lexus is going to blow me away!

Im looking at adding some 19" wheels, grille and a maybe later on, a bodykit.

Ill put some pics up when I bring her home.

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome :D

Your best bet would be to contact Bazza on here, he as 02 plate red one for sale, 22,000 miles with every extra fitted you could poss want, all for 10k :D

Have a look around before you buy (however Bazza's car seems very good value)

I got a mint metallic grey, 03 reg Sport with 24000 on the clock for £9,500 and this was 15 months ago.

I actually found it on eBay, went to look at the car and then placed a bid. There can be some real bargains to be found there.

PS if you buy from eBay use quidco.co.uk to make some cash back on the purchase.

I would choose the sport, and try to get the styling kit as well. This adds some nice but subtle body skirts and larger alloy wheels. Sets the car off nicely (at least in my opinion) as the differences are not massively noticeable but still adds that slightly beefier look to the car.

Mark

Guest inicol63

Hi and welcome LOC

I think that you have to decide if you want to upgrade (with mods) a car or buy it done up.

My view is buy the nicest car you can offord and then mod it with upgrade wheel (£1000 for a nice set)and a super charger (around £2000 to £3000)may mean you getting a car that a year older to keep in budget.

Or go along to a Lexus meet and see what car you like with colour combi.

Milage is not a issue if the cars been well looked after.

What you have not mentioned is do you want Auto or manual

The auto boxes are good and the mileage return is not realy any difference, I cant believe how many guys have the Auto se like myself.

Here are a selection of links to questions that I asked when I was first looking to buy. There's some pretty useful information in there ;)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=38870&hl=

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=39191&hl=

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=39581&hl=

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=39503&hl=

All the best,

Jamie

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links