Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cd Player Faulty

gib

Hi,

Its been a while since I've been on the forum, so bear with me.

You guessed it, the CD Player has my CD's stuck in it and it now produces the dreaded ERROR3 message. Can't believe it.

I have read through all the forums for advice, but nothing to date has worked, although I havent actually removed the unit yet.

I was on eBay and saw a company with good feedback, stating they could repair the Lexus head unit for a sum of £220 inc. postage (still too expensive if you ask me). They state they are well experienced in working with the faults.

They are MAPLE AUDIO, 4/5 Hayes Place, Bear Flat, Bath, BA2 4QW.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this company?

Also, has anyone tried their luck with Lexus GB on this matter - surely this is an inherent fault with the system?

Thanks

Dont bother mate, it'll only break again.

Get yourself a bypass lead and aftermarket stereo, then follow Wozza's guide for the OEM look.

Stav

I know, but I'd prefer to keep the original look to be honest. I will probably be getting rid of the car soon (when a properly priced 250 comes up), but its now annoying me.

Hi Gib,

Lexus only covered it for the first 3 or 5 years. I tried with my wifes one recently that was 7 years and they weren't interested.

They'd probably already replaced it once at least !

Very common I think, well the 2 IS's I've had both had it... and yes I got quoted over £300 with Lexus (also last one they sent off they lost my CDs so I got some compensation)

Get an IPOD transmitter.

Nick

Hi,

You guessed it, the CD Player has my CD's stuck in it and it now produces the dreaded ERROR3 message. Can't believe it.

I have read through all the forums for advice, but nothing to date has worked, although I havent actually removed the unit yet.

I was on Ebay and saw a company with good feedback, stating they could repair the Lexus head unit for a sum of £220 inc. postage (still too expensive if you ask me). They state they are well experienced in working with the faults.

Also, has anyone tried their luck with Lexus GB on this matter - surely this is an inherent fault with the system?

Thanks

They did acknowledge this problem and extended the warranty to 5 years.

I got a free replacement unit on my old IS.

Hiya,

Does it give the error code right away or does it first try to read the disk and then gives the error after a while not being able to read it ?

if so then fiddle around with eject / insert of the same or another disk while it is still having trouble accessing the "stuck"disk.

For instance i always "fix"mine by inserting a new disk which usually pulls the "stuck" disk back into place after one or two tries.

Same problem so I went to Lexus Woodford to seek advice to stuck cd's, constant clicking and the error 3 message.

Whilst walking to my car (2001 IS200) the female assistant suddenly stopped and enquired if my car was over 5 years old.

She then advised me that there was a manufacturers fault with older audio units on which the warranty had been extended to 5 years. As this had now passed she advised me that it would cost £60 to remove the audio unit which would be sent off for repair which would generally cost a minimum of £450. So £510 just to remedy a manufacturers fault!!

I told her politely that I would seek independant advice.

Back home I wondered if there was a Lexus Forum that might be able to help and thanks to Kritzresn's advice I have solved the problem myself.

This prompts the question as to why Lexus are FAILING their customers by not even offering solutions like the one offered here.

Dont get me wrong, I love Toyota/Lexus and have had their cars for over 25 years. Reliability being second to none !! When I bought my first Corolla they couldn't do more to ensure the car was working perfectly even after 7/8 years.

It is therefore a pity that their staff (management) do not read the Forum as they could probably offer help to solve issues like this themselves rather than initially aggravating their customers with last resort options.

Thanks again to Kritzresn

Hi,

I was on Ebay and saw a company with good feedback, stating they could repair the Lexus head unit for a sum of £220 inc. postage (still too expensive if you ask me). They state they are well experienced in working with the faults.

Thanks

Alright mate

Is yours a top loader unit, if so I know some one who can repair it for a bit cheaper then that, pm me if you are interested. I'm going away tonight and I won't be back till monday, so it will be next week before I can get back to you.

shak

You can get it repaired... but to be honest i can live with it.

It's not really a repair actually, more a revision, i agree that makes this a bitter thing to swallow.

But for that amount of money you can get a premium cd/amp from one of the better brands, so i don't think it's really worth the money.

But..

Only happens once, twice a year and solved in a minute or 2.

Glad to hear it worked for you mister RockNut ;)

(maybe an idea to put my advice in a sticky or faq ?)

Lexus just likes to keep a low profile on things like this i guess, same with the inner tyre wear.

The original geometry is way off, but most off the lexus dealers here in holland use revised geometry settings. officially lexus europe still says they recommand the old settings.

Same with the cd-changer.. they knew the 1st generation was faulty.. that's why they put the top loader in 2002/2003 models (over here) in that doesnt have that problem as much, but not helping their customers (or dealers / importers) to get it revised since it's still faulty under guarentee. (everyone will have it failing one or twice at some near point in time).

I would blame lexus europe for things like this, they are at fault here, i hope they learned from these mistakes and will have more intense test runs and better policy on faulty stuff that's already on the market.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links