Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My engine management warning light came on recently so I went to a Lexus dealer who plugged it in for a diagnosis. I have been told that an an oxygen sensor needs replacement - bank 1 sensor 1 to be precise. Does anybody know if this is a DIY job or am I better paying the main dealer to do this?

Also, is this urgent?

By the way it's for a GS430.

If you can access it yourself then yes you can do it yourself....you may not need to by a new one as sometimes they get covered up in crap and you can clean them up.....then i believe you then reset the ecu once the job is done..

im sure someone will let you know if im right or wrong.

A word of warning, I've tried the aftermarket ones on my sister's Avensis and it hates them, tripping the warning light with P0135 and P0155 codes (oxygen sensor heater circuit malfunction). This appears to be due to the heater resistance (about 4 ohms on the cheap aftermarket ones, 12 ohms on the Toyota ones).

Keep an eye on eBay for sensors, they're expensive from Toyota/Lexus!

Do you know what error code you were getting? A P0135 or P0155 wouldn't be fixed by cleaning as it indicates a faulty sensor heater, not a faulty sensor.

A word of warning, I've tried the aftermarket ones on my sister's Avensis and it hates them, tripping the warning light with P0135 and P0155 codes (oxygen sensor heater circuit malfunction). This appears to be due to the heater resistance (about 4 ohms on the cheap aftermarket ones, 12 ohms on the Toyota ones).

Keep an eye on eBay for sensors, they're expensive from Toyota/Lexus!

Do you know what error code you were getting? A P0135 or P0155 wouldn't be fixed by cleaning as it indicates a faulty sensor heater, not a faulty sensor.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know what the error code is - I was just told that it was sensor 1 bank 1 and if I booked it in they would replace it for me for about 300 quid. If I can find out where this is located, I will do it myself.

I have this pic, but it is for a 300 not a 430.

It does tell us that sensor 1 will be at the top of the manifold, you just need to find out which side of your engine is bank one?

Try www.clublex.com for tech help

med_gallery_2168_291_48540.jpg

Just had a look in the EPC..

There are 4 O2 sensors on the 430... one each in the downpipe coming from the manifold, and 2 more, one in each of the exhaust pipes of the front section, after the cats..

A rough guide would be about £160 plus VAT each... possibly more.

A 4 wire universal one is about £30...

John

Hi. I just had one of the oxygen sensors on my LS430 replaced by Lexus Woodford. Engine is the same as yours, I believe. Total cost was £396.28 including VAT! Cost of the part (L89465-50130) was £193.59 including VAT. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Dave from Barking Essex

Just had a look in the EPC..

There are 4 O2 sensors on the 430... one each in the downpipe coming from the manifold, and 2 more, one in each of the exhaust pipes of the front section, after the cats..

A rough guide would be about £160 plus VAT each... possibly more.

A 4 wire universal one is about £30...

John

you can order either slot in replacements (from walker/denso), or universal replacements (from walker) using this website www.oxygensensors.com

US based, so prices are cheaper than here, even with the shipping and VAT. I've ordered twice from them.

I've now sorted my sister's Avensis out with two second-hand sensors from eBay. One was from another Avensis but had a different length cable, the other came from a 1AZ-FE engine (2.0 Avensis or RAV4), swapped the plug (popped out the pins and fitted them in the existing plug), cleared fault codes, job done.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links