Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk2 Aristo - Fitting Supra 2-pot Rear Calipers

Anees

Hi guys,

I am upgrading the front calipers on my mk2 Aristo to the 4 pot Supra calipers due to a good deal. :) I do not want to mess with the brake balance too much so would like to fit the 2 pot rears too.

Does anyone know if these are a direct fit on the mk2? I thought they were but today while doing some research, I have read that their might be a fitment issue with the rears but can not find what it is!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Anees :)

Hi guys,

I am upgrading the front calipers on my mk2 Aristo to the 4 pot Supra calipers due to a good deal. :) I do not want to mess with the brake balance too much so would like to fit the 2 pot rears too.

Does anyone know if these are a direct fit on the mk2? I thought they were but today while doing some research, I have read that their might be a fitment issue with the rears but can not find what it is!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Anees :)

I'll be able to tell you in a week or so. I'm just waiting for some rear discs to be delivered. I really hope there isn't any issue. I presumed the setup on a Mk2 to be the same as the Jspec Supra. Maybe a little naive.

Thanks for the reply Phil. Unfortunetly it does look like the Supra Rear Calipers will not fit.

From another Aristo forum it was said by a knowledgable member that:

Supra rear calipers won't fit the Mk2 (JSZ160/JZS161). It already has opposed piston calipers, unlike the singe piston sliders on the Mk1 (JZS147), which are the same as the JDM Supra and Soarer TT

.....the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalague shows square pads and the opposed twin piston calipers for the JZS160 (N/A = GS300) and JZS161 (TT).

If I am allowed by the mods I can link to the thread..... :)

Anees

Okay, found a bit of time today, and as above I can confirm that they do not fit :crying: .. Well to be more specific, the front discs and calipers 100% fit, I have them on the car sitting pretty. They obviously require the brake shield to be removed, but that's quite easy with the aid of a trusty angle grinder.

The rears are the problem. The distance between the mounts on the hub is roughly 1" closer together than the distance on the UK Supra caliper... Absolutely bloody fantastic! After spending £150 on rear calipers, £170 on rear discs, and £65 on pads I was pretty chuffed to find that out :tsktsk: ..

Oh well, I'm not giving up that easily, and I'll be chopping stuff up and making brackets tomorrow to see if I can get them to fit in a safe way. Unfortunately that means that unless your particularly handy with fabrication, the answer is: Fronts = yep no problem, Rears = nope I'm afraid not.

I've fitted TT calipers to my IS and my boss who i got them off had 300zx rear calipers on his that where two pot opposite pistons like the Standard IS rears and the ones you want.

Stav

Okay, found a bit of time today, and as above I can confirm that they do not fit :crying: .. Well to be more specific, the front discs and calipers 100% fit, I have them on the car sitting pretty. They obviously require the brake shield to be removed, but that's quite easy with the aid of a trusty angle grinder.

The rears are the problem. The distance between the mounts on the hub is roughly 1" closer together than the distance on the UK Supra caliper... Absolutely bloody fantastic! After spending £150 on rear calipers, £170 on rear discs, and £65 on pads I was pretty chuffed to find that out :tsktsk: ..

Oh well, I'm not giving up that easily, and I'll be chopping stuff up and making brackets tomorrow to see if I can get them to fit in a safe way. Unfortunately that means that unless your particularly handy with fabrication, the answer is: Fronts = yep no problem, Rears = nope I'm afraid not.

Sorry to hear that Phil, :( :( but at least you have confirmed 100% for everyone else that the rears are not a straight fit. I hope you can sort something out otherwise you might be best just selling or if you can, returning your rear discs and pads.

Btw..What discs and pads did you go for mate, I have still not decided yet?

@Stav - thats handy info, thanks ;)

Anees

Do the rears really matter? (apart from the show and bling factor)

My techie has told me its the fronts that do pretty much all of the work...

Getting my front discs and pads changed today after nearly 80k, will tell you how worn the fronts and rears are.

Do the rears really matter? (apart from the show and bling factor)

My techie has told me its the fronts that do pretty much all of the work...

Getting my front discs and pads changed today after nearly 80k, will tell you how worn the fronts and rears are.

You are right ofcourse Lenny, but doing the rears helps keep the brake balance.

But on the Mk2, if we fit the front 4-pots; the rears are "sort of" uprated 2-pot opposed piston calipers anyway, so I don't think it matters as much on a Mk2 as it would on a Mk1.

Btw........... I have been thinking for ages "who the heck is this LennyLexus?," he has been on here longer then I have and I've never heard of him! :lol: Gord set me straight that it was RazRankin! ;)

If you're willing to wait I'm doing a complete overhaul of the brakes on my Aristo. This is what I've ordered from Gaz and will let you know how I get on:

DBA 5000 series 2 piece front discs paired to Endless CCX pads fronts

DBA standard slot discs paired to Endless SSS pads rears

Motul Dot 5.1 brake fluid

Toyota Caliper refurb kits for both Supra 4 pot calipers and Aristo rear calipers.

I can give you a comparison to what I have now:

EBC drilled & slotted discs with green stuff on the fronts

stock rear discs with green stuff on the rears

unknown brake fluid that's not been changed in 3 years now (about time it got done!).

I'm almost certain the feel, fade, etc will be almost non-existant with this setup. Whatever you do stay away from EBC stuff though - it's not good stuff whatsoever. Loads of fade, loads of warping of discs, etc...I'd say the Supra caliper upgrade would be the best thing you do - but I'll tell you how much better it'll be. I picked mine up from the US for £200 including shipping...so a pretty good deal considering.

All in all I've spent £1200 and I'd much rather do the Supra brake upgrade with everything listed above than any other cheap BBK (D2, Ksport, etc).

• 3 months later...
If you're willing to wait I'm doing a complete overhaul of the brakes on my Aristo. This is what I've ordered from Gaz and will let you know how I get on:

Toyota Caliper refurb kits for both Supra 4 pot calipers and Aristo rear calipers.

unknown brake fluid that's not been changed in 3 years now (about time it got done!).

I'm almost certain the feel, fade, etc will be almost non-existant with this setup. Whatever you do stay away from EBC stuff though - it's not good stuff whatsoever. Loads of fade, loads of warping of discs, etc...I'd say the Supra caliper upgrade would be the best thing you do - but I'll tell you how much better it'll be. I picked mine up from the US for £200 including shipping...so a pretty good deal considering.

All in all I've spent £1200 and I'd much rather do the Supra brake upgrade with everything listed above than any other cheap BBK (D2, Ksport, etc).

Any updates on the system, and the balance?

As I am just about to embark on an upgrade for my GS430 and was thinking of going the same way, I like the DBA disks I had them on the GTR, and my mate has them on his Supra and they work well on the UK brake set up on the supra, it just the balance, and with the master cylinder beeing different I was ondering

Thanks

Nigel

Any updates on the system, and the balance?

As I am just about to embark on an upgrade for my GS430 and was thinking of going the same way, I like the DBA disks I had them on the GTR, and my mate has them on his Supra and they work well on the UK brake set up on the supra, it just the balance, and with the master cylinder beeing different I was ondering

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

There seems to be some huge delays with the DBA discs - so I'm still waiting on these and since Gaz is off on a much-needed holiday - I should hear something back from him by the end of tomorrow. These should be on by the end of the month if all goes to plan :).

Mitul.