Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Picked Up My Is200 Se And Have A Key Question

Just picked up my car - WOW, i am in love with driving once again!

However, i was only given one master key (with boot release), one valet key (no boot release) and the small key number tag. I asked the dealer about the 2nd master key and he said this is all it came with.

Now, i want to use the master, as it has the boot release, but i have read here and the manual, and both seem to imply that if i lose the master key, im royally screwed as i won't be able to get another key cut.

Is this correct?

If so, what am i to do? I don't want to use the valet key due to lack of boot release, but i'm somewhat worried about losing the only master key i have.

I gather getting another master key is in the region of a couple of hundred quid from Lexus, although some people have bought blank keys from eBay.

If someone could advise me on my assumptions and let me know if this is correct, and a way around this situation so i dont have to fork out a few hundred quid at Lexus, i would appreciate it.

Thanks

However, i was only given one master key (with boot release), one valet key (no boot release) and the small key number tag. I asked the dealer about the 2nd master key and he said this is all it came with.

Now, i want to use the master, as it has the boot release, but i have read here and the manual, and both seem to imply that if i lose the master key, im royally screwed as i won't be able to get another key cut.

Is this correct?

If so, what am i to do? I don't want to use the valet key due to lack of boot release, but i'm somewhat worried about losing the only master key i have.

I gather getting another master key is in the region of a couple of hundred quid from Lexus, although some people have bought blank keys from ebay.

If someone could advise me on my assumptions and let me know if this is correct, and a way around this situation so i dont have to fork out a few hundred quid at Lexus, i would appreciate it.

Thanks

When car was new, it had 3 keys

Yes of you lose the master you will be royally screwed

Is this correct?

I gather getting another master key is in the region of a couple of hundred quid from Lexus, although some people have bought blank keys from ebay.

Thanks

When car was new, it had 3 keys

Yes of you lose the master you will be royally screwed

This is one thing i don't get - the manual clearly shows 1 master, 1 valet and 1 key number tag. Even though this is clearly shown in the manual, would my car have 100% come with 2 master keys? Its a 2001 SE, if that makes any difference.

How annoying - im going to have to lose a nice auto boot function unless i spend £200 for a new master key then :shutit:

i've always used the key with the boot release button.

the keys themselves arent too hard to get- a full set of locks and keys is relatively cheap- but its the electonic gubbins inside

Thanks for that - but what i seem to be getting the impression here, is that the electronic gubbins (transponder) is only able to be replicated through the master key being presented to the dealer. As i only have 1 master key (which is the one with the boot release button) am i right to think that if i lose this, i would not be able to get another key cut for my car, as the valet key (the one without the boot release) does not thave the master key transponder which allows copies to be cut?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up for me.

as far as i kno the keys and transponders are seperate items. i mean if you buy a key ya dont get the transponder. also i think the master key is the grey one- with out the boot release.

master key IS THE KEY WITH 3 BUTTONS - THE OTHER IS THE VALET KEY.

YOU MUST HAVE A MASTER TO PROGRAMME A NEW KEY.

as far as i kno the keys and transponders are seperate items. i mean if you buy a key ya dont get the transponder. also i think the master key is the grey one- with out the boot release.

Thats the valet key. The master one is the one with the boot release. (valet key so called because you can throw it to the valet to park your car and he cant unlock the boot or the glove box with it, which is only possible via the master).

i have a boot release inside my car!! arent the keys cut different on the grey key? mine doesnt have the planed edges.

so how would i kno which of the 2 keys with the boot release feature is the actual master?? as i could well be using the master key needlessly myself.

i have a boot release inside my car!! arent the keys cut different on the grey key? mine doesnt have the planed edges.

so how would i kno which of the 2 keys with the boot release feature is the actual master?? as i could well be using the master key needlessly myself.

I only have 1 key with the boot release button (my master). My other key is the valet. Thats why i believe im missing my other master key.

Sounds like you should call Lexus and find out - but in all likelihood if you have 2 keys with a boot release button on each, it sounds like you have 2 master keys.

yes it does seem so- so that makes 3 keys as standard as all my keys are from a lock kit. it seems stupid of lexus to let the master keys travel with the owner when they are so vital to the functioning of the car- re parts ordering.

am gonna have a flick thru the owners manual tomoz. but the grey key- 2 button is defo cut differently to the 3 button ones i have. i presumed this was for things it could do rather than couldnt do!

yes it does seem so- so that makes 3 keys as standard as all my keys are from a lock kit. it seems stupid of lexus to let the master keys travel with the owner when they are so vital to the functioning of the car- re parts ordering.

am gonna have a flick thru the owners manual tomoz. but the grey key- 2 button is defo cut differently to the 3 button ones i have. i presumed this was for things it could do rather than couldnt do!

right lets make this clear.....

The keys with 3 buttons are the MASTER keys and the key with 2 buttons is the VALET key - you get 3 keys as standard with the car, 2 masters and 1 valet, the valet key can be grey or black coloured.

why is it stupid???? - its not for lexus/toyota to ensure that you dont loose the key - if you do then tough thats your problem and you pay the consequence - thats prob why they give you 2 master keys!

The valet key is cut differently so the glove box and the boot can not be opened with the key hence why it does not have the boot release button.

I only had the one master key so I bought a blank key from eBay - this is one without the transponder.

I then got that cut a a local locksmith. Took a bit of phoning around to find someone to do it.

Then I bought a complete key (eBay again, or a breaker) and took the transponder/remote out of it.

I then put this in my new key and programmed the car to accept it.

Total cost around £50.

The programming procedure is on here somewhere, PM me if you can't find it.

HTH :-)

Found it:

Here is programming the alarm:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=14855&hl=

And then:

PROGRAMMING A KEY TO USE WITH THE IMMOBILIZER .

HOW - BLACK KEY .

WITH THE PROGRAMMED BLACK KEY INSERT INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH .

WITHIN 15 SECONDS PRESS AND RELEASE THE ACCELERATOR 5 TIMES .

WITHIN 20 SECONDS .

PRESS AND RELEASE THE BRAKE PEDAL 6 TIMES .

REMOVE THE BLACK KEY .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : INSERT BLACK KEY TO BE PROGRAMMED INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : PRESS AND RELEASE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ONCE .

IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL FLASH .

AFTER 1 MINUTE IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL GO OUT .

NOTE --- TO EXIT PROGRAMMING MODE : REMOVE IGNITION KEY AND PRESS BRAKE PEDAL AT LEAST ONCE WITHIN 10 SECONDS .

NOTE --- A MAXIMUM OF 7 KEYS CAN BE PROGRAMMED .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREY KEY - HOW TOO .

INSERT BLACK PROGRAMMED KEY INTO THE IGNITION .

WITHIN 15 SECONDSPRESS AND RELEASE ACCELRATOR PEDAL 4 TIMES .

WITHIN 20 SECONDS : PRESS AND RELEASE BRAKE PEDAL 5 TIMES .

REMOVE BLACK KEY .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : INSERT GREY KEY TO BE PROGRAMMED INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : PRESS AND RELEASE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ONCE .

IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL FLASH .

AFTER 1 MINUTE IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL GO OUT .

NOTE --- TO EXIT PROGRAMMING MODE : REMOVE IGNITION KEY AND PRESS BRAKE PEDAL AT LEAST ONCE WITHIN 10 SECONDS .

NOTE --- A MAXIMUM O 3 GREY KEYS CAN BE USED .

I've got a few question you may also want to ask. The valet key doesn't have a boot opening facility, but does open the car and you can manually pull the boot opening on the right, next to the driver seat (so that defeats the object of not having the boot open facility as secruity). Also why can't you use the key to open the door (by pluging it into the car lock) on the lexus at all without the alarm going off, even to this day i can't understand the logic behind this. Which means why did they bother putting a key lock on the door at all in the first place if you can't use it?

You have to be careful when it comes to keys even tho you can have a key with three buttons open close and boot it doesn't mean it is the master key, because you can program any key as the master and any key as the valet key dosnt matter about the buttons, it comes down to how it was programmed. All the keys have the transponders on the electric circit inside the remote, the only real way of seeing if you have the master key is to insert the key into the ignition and if it is the master key the security light will not come on. but if a valet key is inserted the security light will come on for about 2 seconds then go out. This is the only real way of testing without diagnostics.

hth

I've got a few question you may also want to ask. The valet key doesn't have a boot opening facility, but does open the car and you can manually pull the boot opening on the right, next to the driver seat (so that defeats the object of not having the boot open facility as secruity). Also why can't you use the key to open the door (by pluging it into the car lock) on the lexus at all without the alarm going off, even to this day i can't understand the logic behind this. Which means why did they bother putting a key lock on the door at all in the first place if you can't use it?

you put a master key in the boot lock and turn it to disconnect the cable so it does not defeat the object.

you have to disable the alarm first - otherwise the system things someone has opened the door by force - seems fairly logical to me tho. the lock is ther incase the remote opening doesnt work or if ur Battery is flat.

You have to be careful when it comes to keys even tho you can have a key with three buttons open close and boot it doesn't mean it is the master key, because you can program any key as the master and any key as the valet key dosnt matter about the buttons, it comes down to how it was programmed. All the keys have the transponders on the electric circit inside the remote, the only real way of seeing if you have the master key is to insert the key into the ignition and if it is the master key the security light will not come on. but if a valet key is inserted the security light will come on for about 2 seconds then go out. This is the only real way of testing without diagnostics.

hth

not really - the master keys have 3 buttons - the valet has 2 buttons and does not open the glove box or boot. the transponders for the valet do not have the 3rd boot button.

i'm glad i have 2 master keys now, valet key seems pointless to me- i wouldnt trust anyone with any car key of mine if i didnt trust them not to nick anything!

as for being forced to carry a master key round with me it stinks of possible massive bills just waiting to happen needlessly- a lexus punishment. would be much better the other way round- keep the master key safe at home so if anything was to happen a replacement part can be ordered easily and conveniently keeping me on the road. its not as if anybody deliberately looses there car keys is it!!!!

i'm glad i have 2 master keys now, valet key seems pointless to me- i wouldnt trust anyone with any car key of mine if i didnt trust them not to nick anything!

as for being forced to carry a master key round with me it stinks of possible massive bills just waiting to happen needlessly- a lexus punishment. would be much better the other way round- keep the master key safe at home so if anything was to happen a replacement part can be ordered easily and conveniently keeping me on the road. its not as if anybody deliberately looses there car keys is it!!!!

get a grip! u have 2 main keys if u loose 1 then u have the 2nd so make another master - so in fact u have another key at home unless 4 some wierd reason u carry both with you? its hardly what i would call a punishment.

im half expecting someone to try and sue lexus for damages because they loose the car key - same scenario as the william hill bloke :shutit:

look at it this way if lexus didn't have a master key system and you lost your keys they would still charge a fortune to put it right, you can always have your master key cloned and then keep that at home would only cost about £60.00

unless 4 some wierd reason u carry both with you?

Possible reson for carrying two keys: If your car is cold, start the engine, lock all the doors via door switch, then unlock just drivers door and exit. Lock driver's door with second key and leave the car warming up.

Does require two keys and ive done it once or twice. but i only got one master and one valet with the car, so this requires ALL my keys!

If your worried in any way. Blank key cases are under £10 on eBay, a decent locksmith will cut it for about £10, and the transponders go for £10-30 on eBay, and can be reprogrammed by your car (you must have a master key, method earlier in this thread i think).

Loss off all master keys will set you back around £2000 according to Lexus (new ECU and everything) im sure it's possible for half that, but thats still a massive wedge for a lost key!

Possible reson for carrying two keys: If your car is cold, start the engine, lock all the doors via door switch, then unlock just drivers door and exit. Lock driver's door with second key and leave the car warming up.

Does require two keys and ive done it once or twice. but i only got one master and one valet with the car, so this requires ALL my keys!

If your worried in any way. Blank key cases are under £10 on eBay, a decent locksmith will cut it for about £10, and the transponders go for £10-30 on eBay, and can be reprogrammed by your car (you must have a master key, method earlier in this thread i think).

Loss off all master keys will set you back around £2000 according to Lexus (new ECU and everything) im sure it's possible for half that, but thats still a massive wedge for a lost key!

yep £2k is what i was meaning- having to replace the all the electronics just to be able to start and enter the car. another example of technology going bakwards and our throw away society- ala concorde.

i dont carry 2 keys thats but have been caught by the ignition barrel fault! wish i did do then! its something i always look for when thinking about buying a car for this very reason- expensive to get replacements!!

Please can you provide links to blank keys and transponders on eBay - i've been looking but can only find keys, not actual transponders.

For everyones info - i called 2 Lexus dealers. First one said "it would be about £150 for a new master" when i asked how much.

Second one wanted my VIN number. ASked why, he said it depends on the vehicle but keys would be in the region of £75-£140. Was then quoted £140 for a key cut to match the ones i have, or they could charge me £75 for a key cut to the original locks of the car, which would be done in Germany and shipped over. He said this is a cheaper option but it relies on the locks being the originals. I have my master key metal tag thing and he said he would check to see if this is what the car was originally registered with, and if it was, it's pretty certain its a match.

He also said loss of master key is £900 for a new ECM, plus the cost of the new keys!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links