Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is There A Definitive List Of Is200 Variants ?

RETR0NUT

Hello All,

I have been trawling through the many posts on the many variants of IS200 and was just wondering if anyone has posted a definitive list of all 'official' variants ?

Before I chose the IS200 I recently purchased, I thought it was a no brainer as there was an 'S' 'SE' or 'SPORT'.

Seeing as I wanted tinted rear windows (better for the kids in summer), a 6 speed manual and an LSD it was definitely going to be a Sport.

But then I realised there was also a multitude of variants available with different body kits, wheels and trims.

I have uncovered references and pictures of what I think are the Styling Kit, Aero, Aero 2 and Limited Edition.

These appear to come with 17" 5 spokes, 17" Multi spokes in both Silver and Anthracite or 18" flat 6 spoke alloys.

Do these alloys have any particular names or references?

There also appears to be a facelift after a certain year (2003/4 ?) with subtle changes such as darker tinted lights but I don't know what else?

Not sure if any of the above were from an options list which obviously would mean there could be a wealth of cars out there in different specs from the factory and this would make listing all the model variants impossible.

However, I would guess that there was a standard offering for each variant (i.e. Styling has xx body kit with xx rear spoiler and xx wheels).

What would really be useful is a list (preferably with pics) of all the variants so they can be easily identified. I will be trawling the gallery shortly so this may point me in the right direction (sorry if I have jumped the gun).

My new toy is a IS200 Sport 2004 (54) plater in Granite Sky with a bodykit comprising front spolier, rear apron, side skirts, std Sport lip spoiler on the boot, 17" multi spoke alloys in silver, facelift darker tinted lights and a full black leather interior.

A work sheet in the Lexus history indicates it is an IS200 Sport AERO 2 LA but I have no idea what LA means, it's a mystery ?

Sorry for waffling on a bit but just wanted to get to the bottom of it all and the owners clubs forums are always host to the most knowledgeable people.

Many thanks in advance,

Tony

You can trawl through the forum and there is a lot of info out there if you search for it.

There wern't really any facelifts as such for the IS.

1999-late 2000 - S,SE,Sport - CD-CHANGER at bottom only drivers seat electric (if fitted).

late 2000 - revised CD-Changer now with CD at the top, both front seats electric (if fitted).

late 2001 - CD Sat Nav now DVD and controls for Nav more integrated in console.

around 2002 - slight changes made to interior trim and poss rear light integrated into rear spoiler on the sport.

2002/3 ish 50 bright yellow IS200s came in (think they were sports)

2004 the LE - HID lamps, full leather and another colour but basically SE spec.

later models came with Nav standard

All this is off top of my head and dates are prob a lil general. but im sure more of the guys (and girls) will add.

You can trawl through the forum and there is a lot of info out there if you search for it.

There wern't really any facelifts as such for the IS.

1999-late 2000 - S,SE,Sport - CD-CHANGER at bottom only drivers seat electric (if fitted).

late 2000 - revised CD-Changer now with CD at the top, both front seats electric (if fitted).

late 2001 - CD Sat Nav now DVD and controls for Nav more integrated in console.

around 2002 - slight changes made to interior trim and poss rear light integrated into rear spoiler on the sport.

2002/3 ish 50 bright yellow IS200s came in (think they were sports)

2004 the LE - HID lamps, full leather and another colour but basically SE spec.

later models came with Nav standard

All this is off top of my head and dates are prob a lil general. but im sure more of the guys (and girls) will add.

Thanks for your input Bobski but I have already done some considerable trawling both Google and in these forums.

I had uncovered the changes you mention in the IS200 lifecycle but did not realise that the Ltd Edt Yellow cars were only a run of 50, so that's something new I have learned.

What interests me more is how the special models were specified?

What comprises the Styling Pack?

What comprises an Aero (1) package?

How does it differ from an Aero 2?

What bodykit/wheels did the LE have?

What wheels/kits were fitted to all the special models?

Were these options so you could mix & match from new?

Is there a higher boot spoiler originally available from Lexus (not aftermarket).

As far as I can make out through research, my Aero 2 comprises a TRD bodykit but with a standard Sport boot spolier.

I have since found both 9 spoke and 11 spoke wheels (mine are 11 spoke) and the 9 spoke ones are 18'' by TTE (I think)?

Finally, although a facelift might be too strong a description, I can tell you that the front and rear lights are distinctly different on a 2004 model as opposed to the earlier ones. Mine have a dark plastic inside the lens and it changes the appearance somewhat.

Finally, I still need to know what the LA might be on the description of my car?

I originally thought a spelling mistake and maybe it should read LE but mine does not have HID lights so I guess not!

Sorry if I am being a complete anorak but I do like to know as much as possible about the cars I drive and regularly bore my missus silly with these pointless car facts that I seem to accumulate. Still at least it's a harmless vice, at least until she gets out the frying pan and tells me to shut up.

Cheers,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I was hopin for a little more input on this enquiry but perhaps I have not posted in the correct location?

Apologies if I am not following the rules and willing to take advice from the experts.

Just discovered that there were in fact 3 different types of light combinations, std old style chrome, satin and anthracite (I think).

Can anyone put me straight on why my car is denoted as an AERO 2 LA and what on earth is the 'LA'?

Come on folks, I'm sure you are all a nice bunch of guys and girls who could help me out.

I don't have all the answers but I'll have a go at filling in some of the gaps you're asking about :)

Basically up until 2001, there were the three models you mentioned, the S, SE and Sport. In terms of styling, the skirts on your car (made by TRD) were always available but were only called the "aero pack 2" later down the line.

It was in 2001 that the car was mildly facelifted, cosmetically it was just black chrome rear lights for the darker coloured cars, and the interior lost the two tone dash and gained contrasting piping on the seats. There were other changes like curtain airbags, brake distribution, etc too.

It was around this time that the TTE styling kit also became available, which consisted of the TTE front bumper, rear skirt and lip spoiler (for cars that didn't have a standard rear spoiler) as well as the 6 spoke 18" alloys you mentioned earlier. When I bought my car in 2002, this was only an option for IS200 Sports or IS300s.

In 2003, came the yellow IS200 Sport Amarillo (i think that's what it was called) which was a limited run, and was essentially an IS200 Sport with Styling Kit in bright yellow :D

The 9 spoke 18" alloys you mentioned are made by TTE, but were never an option, simply something you could pick from the accessories catalogue, and these came either with or without bolts round the edge, and they came in black chrome as well.

In 2004 came the LE which took an IS200SE, and added 17" 11 spoke alloys (like you have) a special light grey paintwork, a different front grille, full leather interior and HIDs.

It was following this that all post 2004 IS200s came with all this stuff except the HIDs, but also added the dark satin headlights and rear lights, and there was a choice of having the alloys in silver or anthracite.

It was around this time that they now split out the Aero pack (TTE kit and 18" alloys) and Aero pack 2 (TRD kit with optional 18" alloys). Soon after the aero pack 2 actually became a no cost option and then in 2005 they added satnav and the rear spoiler to the SE as well (making it a very cheap and well specced car at the end of it's life!)

Don't have too many pics, so others will have to help there, but to get you started, here's my IS with the LE grille on:

202165628.jpg

And then with the styling kit on (but still with standard alloys):

199595789.jpg

199595793.jpg

I'm sure there are probably some inaccuracies in all that but hope that gets you started :)

here you go,

this is what was changed in the facelift of 7/2001

http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-...e/m_in_0002.pdf

also, http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-05 this link, is the CD that you can buy of eBay, had i known it was online, i probably wouldn't have bought mine [thanks to Tony Montana for finding it]

I made a surprising discovery with the epc 2007, units gxe10 A/T produced between 0409/0507 have an FGR of 3,50:1 with 42/12 ring/pinion.

Can anyone confirm this?

There are also many other changes in the very last series.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links