Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not sure where you get off dismissing complaints out of hand, each of the 17 complaints are valid.

You ask "what a diesel should be" it should back up any claims of being frugal and negate the up/down actions of the gearbox because of its "Class leading torque". These are the claims of Lexus and the reason why many have opted for the 220d. I've completed 230,0000 miles over the past 5 years in various cars from a 306td, A4TDI and an S60 D5. None have come anywhere close to the IS as a package, however all were easier to drive because the engine/gearbox combination was better. They all also gave better mpg!

People aren't bashing the car - just the engine/gearbox and rightly so.

That's 17 complaints. How many potentially happy 220d owners that leaves? Thousands, I believe.

I must again remind: the official MPG figures are not Lexus' claims, but official test results. If your not matching them, it's because you're not driving in a similar way. I'm not saying you should, but if you don't, you can't really compare your mileage to the official numbers.

None of the cars you mentioned weight as much as 220d. I would guess none of them have a particulate filter, either. I'm sure none of them have the DeNOx technology that the 220d has. These things are easily forgotten, because they're not as obvious as the mileage, but still they are there.

Some people are bashing the engine-gearbox combo, some are not. Are you saying that the happy ones are wrong or lying? I know the 220d isn't the most fuel efficient car in its class, but combined with the weight, low emissions and torque, I'm pleased with the 47,1 MPG that I've received since new. Don't overgeneralise, please!

I'm getting 35.5mpg worked out at the pump over approx 58ltrs. 47.1mpg! how are you working that out? over a tank that means your computer would show a range of 650+miles! :lol:

As for offical MPG, take a look in your handbook..... I dont expect to match the mpg claims but I can match 35mpg in a petrol powered car!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So because someone posts a negative opinion of the IS220D no one should take any notice of them?

Turn that around. So because someone posts a POSITIVE opinion ... no one should take any notice ot them.

You're can't pick and choose like that. You make decisions based on full facts not just the bit that suits your argument.

What utter rubbish. I'm paid to drive a car very fast as part of my job so I know a thing or two about how to drive.

If you're that good how come you didn't pick up the crap gearing, harsh and noisy engine on the test drive.

At the end of the day, I would like to see balanced feedback on the car. Not this consistent moaning that ignores all the good things.

Double standards or what! Ignore the complainers you clearly stated and now try twisting my viewpoint that we shouldn't be ignored to me claiming ignore the positives. Nowhere do I say that. You are the only poster to have advised someone to ignore specific posts. I'm getting the distinct impression you're in some way connected with a Lexus dealership. If you're not you should be as that is the kind of clap-trap they would come out with.

I bought the Lexus because we wanted something different. This is the first deisel I've ever owned but not driven. If I could have afforded it I would have gone for a new model S80/XC90 D5 believe me. The 1st gear issue can be lived with if you're prepared to sacrifice fuel economy i.e. floor it when pulling out of junctions. The engine is quiet from inside the car, a positive for Lexus soundproofing if nothing else. Like it or not, the IS220 is not a luxury car, a performance car, a comfortable car or an economical car. In trying to be a jack of all trades it falls short everywhere but granted not by much. It is well put together, has a lot of extras as standard and looks good. You don't see too many of them on the roads. It's a decent fleet car option IN MY OPINION.

Dealerships are not to be trusted. Another fine example of why not; I wanted a tow bar fitting to mine. Price from the dealership £800. Tow-bar centre down the road, (and the one the dealership would have used I hasten to add), £325. Rip off R us. Hands free car kit fitted £250. Same kit from Halfords fitted £99.

Just for info, where do you work? I would love to know what irresponsible company pays its employees to drive a car very fast as part of your job.

There are many jobs out there that pay people to drive at speed in controlled environments. Emergency services, tyre testers, car manufacturers, race teams, track instructors etc etc. I also run a Yamaha R1 on track.

Double standards or what! Ignore the complainers you clearly stated and now try twisting my viewpoint that we shouldn't be ignored to me claiming ignore the positives. Nowhere do I say that. You are the only poster to have advised someone to ignore specific posts. I'm getting the distinct impression you're in some way connected with a Lexus dealership. If you're not you should be as that is the kind of clap-trap they would come out with.

I have absolutely no connection to a dealership. You can scratch that one now.

I cannot see how you come to a conclusion of double standards. I am looking for balanced feedback on the car. I have pointed out how the feedback on this forum has been distorted.

I pointed out that some members, by their own admission, used this forum to apply pressure to Lexus GB. Suchposts are the only posts I have suggest should be ignored as they are not being "full and frank" with the rest of the forum membership.

Sometimes people read in to a post what they want to see and what suits them not what is actually written. People ignore the points they cannot challenge. I asked why honestjohn.co.uk, a website that reflects a wide range of owners, does not reflect dissatisfaction with gearing and fuel economy. Nobody has taken up that challenge!

Guys, calm down...

The proverb, "one man's meat is another man's poison" springs to mind.

Cars are very emotive subjects, and if I'd shelled out the thick end of £25k on a car, I'd want it to be near perfect as well. But (and I've said this before), all cars are built on the basis of compromise.

I'm still delighted with my IS220d. I know people bitch like crazy over the fuel economy, but frankly, it wasn't an issue for me. If it's at the top of your list, don't buy this car. If you want all out performance, don't buy this car, if you want driving involvement, don't buy this car.

But, if you want a decent all round performer that you can drive for over 500 miles in one sitting, as I have (okay, I had to do a splash and dash), buy this car.

Finally, Jamboo's "survey" is a very small selection of people who were bothered enough to (a) register on the LOC forum and then (B) fill in the survey. Therefore, as someone else said, not truly representative of the average Lexus driver.

I'm getting 35.5mpg worked out at the pump over approx 58ltrs. 47.1mpg! how are you working that out? over a tank that means your computer would show a range of 650+miles! :lol:

As for offical MPG, take a look in your handbook..... I dont expect to match the mpg claims but I can match 35mpg in a petrol powered car!

I'm getting that by practice. I took the time to alter my driving style to fit the car. From 1st to 4th gear I drive at about 1500 RPM, 5th from 1600 RPM and 6th from 1700 RPM. That is, when going steady. If I need quick acceleration, then 2000+ RPM. I also use coasting whenever possible. When slowing down, always engine braking. About 90 percent of my driving is on highways/A-roads, about 10 percent urban.

I can match 47.1 MPG with many petrol powered cars. None of them comparable with the IS, though.

I'm getting that by practice. I took the time to alter my driving style to fit the car. From 1st to 4th gear I drive at about 1500 RPM, 5th from 1600 RPM and 6th from 1700 RPM. That is, when going steady. If I need quick acceleration, then 2000+ RPM. I also use coasting whenever possible. When slowing down, always engine braking. About 90 percent of my driving is on highways/A-roads, about 10 percent urban.

I can match 47.1 MPG with many petrol powered cars. None of them comparable with the IS, though.

So basically your driving as fast as a milk float! Seriously, I cant do that in mine, I'd have to visit the physio to get my back sorted. Your engine will be labouring to to point of damaging it. The engine has been designed with a torque band of 2000rpm-2600rpm for a reason, using it out of that range is pointless.

After that explanation I know not to take anything you say seriously! :lol:

I have absolutely no connection to a dealership. You can scratch that one now.

I cannot see how you come to a conclusion of double standards. I am looking for balanced feedback on the car. I have pointed out how the feedback on this forum has been distorted.

I pointed out that some members, by their own admission, used this forum to apply pressure to Lexus GB. Suchposts are the only posts I have suggest should be ignored as they are not being "full and frank" with the rest of the forum membership.

Sometimes people read in to a post what they want to see and what suits them not what is actually written. People ignore the points they cannot challenge. I asked why honestjohn.co.uk, a website that reflects a wide range of owners, does not reflect dissatisfaction with gearing and fuel economy. Nobody has taken up that challenge!

In which case let the reader make up their own mind without advice to ignore certain posts. I've never heard of honestjohn.co.uk otherwise I would have told it there like I have here. To put it straight. The car isn't bad, but it isn't the best. I'm not disatisfied with it entirely. The dealership I use is lacking in several areas. All factors should be considered and when they are I'm not happy and will be going to another marque after twelve months. You're opinion of the car is as valid as mine. Having a varied opinion from different viewpoints and experiences can only help any prospective buyer.

So basically your driving as fast as a milk float! Seriously, I cant do that in mine, I'd have to visit the physio to get my back sorted. Your engine will be labouring to to point of damaging it. The engine has been designed with a torque band of 2000rpm-2600rpm for a reason, using it out of that range is pointless.

Basically I'm driving fast enough not to cause unnecessary trouble to anyone and fast enough to get where I'm going in time. That is how you should be driving, too, if you really want good mileage. If you don't, stop complaining.

I am NOT labouring my engine. You can hear and feel the vibration when the engine is labouring. And what is more, you're NOT getting good mileage when the engine is labouring. Try it, if you don't believe me. Before you do, don't bother considering yourself wiser than me. The torque band is there for a reason and that reason is quick acceleration. Good fuel efficiency is below the torque band.

Basically I'm driving fast enough not to cause unnecessary trouble to anyone and fast enough to get where I'm going in time. That is how you should be driving, too, if you really want good mileage. If you don't, stop complaining.

I am NOT labouring my engine. You can hear and feel the vibration when the engine is labouring. And what is more, you're NOT getting good mileage when the engine is labouring. Try it, if you don't believe me. Before you do, don't bother considering yourself wiser than me. The torque band is there for a reason and that reason is quick acceleration. Good fuel efficiency is below the torque band.

Ok fine, you're an amazing driver with superior skills - so you can confirm you're getting over 650 miles to a tank then?

Hi Again,

EVERYONE...young and old...satisfied and dissatisfied...angry and happy...UK and Non UK owners.

I'm hoping to calm this thread down a tad....I remarked earlier that I felt the UK model may (not is) be different from the rest of the models

supplied to Europe ...why?? I haven't a clue. BUT it does appear that the satisfaction levels vary in line with this train of thought.

I see a fellow country and county man on this thread who has a similar experience to me namely 06 G 220D we don't drive like sissys over here in Ireland but we do drive within the law eg 60 mph. This translates to 1700 revs in my car in 5th non sport model. I have almost 38000 klms driven approx one third urban and two thirds country roads. I know well how to convert klms per litre to mpg...so lets not go there. I'm achieving 47.1 mpg since the start.

I've said before and indeed someone else has said that the car is very different an it requires a particular style to optimise its return to you. If you're prepared to do this then this will turn out to be a good decision. If not...well there's no more to be said..do not buy an IS220D.

I am at the disadvantage of never owning a diesel car before so I can't and won't make comparisons that won't hold up. What I can confirm is as others are confirming is that the performance whether acceleration...or...economy in line with the advertising is achievable and better. I can say this for a fact if my driving was predominately urban as opposed to rural, there is no way I would achieve 47.1 mpg. So its NOT the car its the conditions...driving style ...and urban rural driving mix. We're all different in this regard...especially owners living in countries where there is a lot of rural driving...Finland ...Ireland.

Understand this and we won't be at each others throats...this forum has a role in bringing an understanding from all shared points of view...perhaps this is what we don't practice often enough. There's is without question great comment here whether it be positive or negative...its OUR shared experience. There's very little wrong with the car...there's very little if anything wrong with us. Its just that the car has to do something different for all of us under very differnt conditions. Lexus figures come from driving the car on a test bed at a constant 56 mph (I think this is a fairly standard method not sure) anyway this is vastly different to our experience. I've no doubt if the UK lads came over to Ireland for a month on hols they'd all have a fabulous return...seldom on country roads can you drive above 56 mph even if you wanted too. Belting along on a motorway at 80+ mph is all very well but you're back to 35 mpg and wondering why???

keep calm lads we're all here for the right reasons...keep up the good work...keep sharing valuable comment and great ideas.

I'm totally with VrmmVrmm on this one.

It's funny, actually. VrmmVrmm and I both have a Jan 07 model with about the same amount of kilometers on the clock. We both seem to have 47.1 MPG since new. We both drive predominantly below 60 mph and below 2000 RPM. We both drive mostly on extra-urban roads. Under these circumstances, the 220d returns reasonable MPG. Under some other circumstances, it seems not to. Everyone can make of that what they want, but let's try and keep our feelings under control.

As Eunos800 said a while back - it's an owners club, not a fan club!

Right now, it seems far more of a bashers club. Positive feedback seems to be rubbished.

Also - I have already dealt with LGB, who have been great, and I am not so fickle as to use these forums to communicate with them.

Jamboo I can recall posts where you acknowledged that the posts were intended for other beyond this forum.

Also in the last week you admitted posting about dealer staff and then removing the posts after you spoke with the principal.

You Posted "I een named and shamed individuals on here... I had that thread taken off after speaking to the dealer Principal, and haven't had a single issue since. Everyone there knows me now, and I might have caused some trouble, but it worked (largely). It's NOT the way I like to do things, but I was really angry."

Give me a break!

Please don't discount the poll - it's an insult to all those that voted - positive or negative. 14 people with no issues proves that almost half of the forum members have no issues which is higher than I thought it would be, so the argument that peeple only look at forums when they have a problem is a wasteful one.

No it doesn't. It proves that half of those who voted have no issues not that half all the forum members have no issues.

And finally - the guys who have posted are correct - it's only the engine and gearing combo that leaves a lot to be desired - else I would have chicked it in buy now!

Are you another one of these superior drivers who either didn't have a test drive or else missed these blatant issues.

All of what you say is why I took the original post off! It was causing problems between me and the dealer so it stopped. Since then I have never intended to use this forum as a medium for communicating with LGB or anyone. I can't ignore the FACT that LGB and dealers use this forum. Which is why I acknowledged it in previous posts.

I say it like it is and have commended the car several times for how good VFM it represents. Just accept the facts!

BTW - what's yournational speed limit in Ireland? Mainly 50mph I've heard - mainly A roads - it's no wonder you get 45+mpg. Drive it in the real world matey!

There are some who use this forum to communicate with Lexus GB. There posts are quite negative!

I would not put too much faith in those. They were not intended for you, rather Lexus GB.

But, I am a happy owner. Maybe I dont count.

No one is getting angry or irate. Written word does not show true emotion and can be perceived very differently to how it is intended. Emoticons sometimes help convey the intent but they can also be very childish.

The above is what was objected to. It reads to me at least that those with complaints about the IS220D should be ignored as we're just airing our beef with Lexus GB. Fuel economy thankfully isn't an issue for me. But there's no denying there are better deisels out there offering as much "refinement" and equipment as the IS that can be driven hard and still return better MPG. The IS appearance makes it look like it is meant to go fast and not be driven like a milk float in order to get a barely reasonable fuel return. One of its big attractions is the looks. IF fuel economy is not an issue and you still want an IS I'd still go for the IS250 petrol with auto box. You at least get the performance to go with the looks.

BTW - what's yournational speed limit in Ireland? Mainly 50mph I've heard - mainly A roads - it's no wonder you get 45+mpg. Drive it in the real world matey!

I like to base all discussions on facts not hearsay. Why don't you just look up Irish Speed Limits.

Also look up my posts and find out what mileage I actually get.

BTW did you write that famous headline.

"Fog in Channel - continent cut off."

There are some who use this forum to communicate with Lexus GB. There posts are quite negative!

I would not put too much faith in those. They were not intended for you, rather Lexus GB.

But, I am a happy owner. Maybe I dont count.

No one is getting angry or irate. Written word does not show true emotion and can be perceived very differently to how it is intended. Emoticons sometimes help convey the intent but they can also be very childish.

The above is what was objected to. It reads to me at least that those with complaints about the IS220D should be ignored as we're just airing our beef with Lexus GB. Fuel economy thankfully isn't an issue for me. But there's no denying there are better deisels out there offering as much "refinement" and equipment as the IS that can be driven hard and still return better MPG. The IS appearance makes it look like it is meant to go fast and not be driven like a milk float in order to get a barely reasonable fuel return. One of its big attractions is the looks. IF fuel economy is not an issue and you still want an IS I'd still go for the IS250 petrol with auto box. You at least get the performance to go with the looks.

Actually, I have no problem with complaints as long as all viewpoints are welcomed.

For a long time on this forum it seemed that only posts that complained were welcomed.

After one post I made, highlighting a series of Audi problems, I was politely informed that my opinion did not count.

Also, I objected to material posted which had a hidden agenda. I make no apology for that.

I welcome full and frank discussions.

:shutit: Lets count to 10....

A total lack of non verbal communication is the cause - people get het up about how something sounds. Oh well - that's life and someone elses problem!

On a different note (slightly) the car is in for the 20k service today and I have told them about the latest tank full - 36odd mpg with mainly Motorway driving at or around the national sped limit, (AC off and cruise used)- when I have actually had over 600 miles from a tank full just after the last 5th Injector - and I have not changed my driving style for years, though have adapted it for this gearing 2 years ago when I got it....

So basically mines gone from mid 40's MPG to mid 30's in 12 months, and it had something similar before that too prior to the injector being changed over 12 months ago... I always use BP or Shell fuels though I have used Sainsbo's a few times in between (may be 3 or 4 tank top-ups). Now someone tell me that I'm barking rubbish!

May be it's just the RHD versions with a problem....who knows!

They are checking that out today. They are also looking at why the dash appears to have dropped by a few millimeters, and are looking at the 2 dash vents which rattle.

PS - I bet the IS250 is still runnig sweet! I'll get jealous in advance - before you all Auto drivers say yes!

Speed limit in Southern Ireland is 120 kph=75mph on motorways. 100 KPH 62mph on A roads and 80/60/50 on roads that used to be 50/40/30 mph in olden days.

I'm presently ( just after my 20,000 mile service before which I complained for the first time about the mileage,just for the craic to see what they would do) getting 8.2 l/100kms= 36mpg average

I'm not too unhappy with this as its not great, but alright I suppose.

I get the impression from reading what people write , that they are annoyed because the car doesn't do what it says on the tin. For instance it would not be possible to pick the mpg up on a test drive no matter how long, and that also goes for the gearing etc because most people act in a diferent fashion in a car when they have a Lexus rep in the back. Its easy to say in hindsight that we should all have asked for the car for a day/week to try out but that doesnt happen for most people in real life. They see a car they like, go to the garage on a saturday, drive it around the block with the salesman( slowly) and then imbued with great ideas spend the next two weeks trying to get the best deal they can get from finance people. So I've got what I've got . It will do until next year when I will see something else I like, go to the garage on a saturday etc,etc.

My beef has always been that I am getting poor service from the Dealer and Lexus are no assistance either. The Dealer blames Lexus, Lexus just dont bother answering any queries they just refer you back to the dealer. Which is a shame because its supposed to be what they are good at ( we're back to what it says on the tin again)

The Kia with its seven year warranty is starting to look good at this point. :whistling:

:shutit: Lets count to 10....

A total lack of non verbal communication is the cause - people get het up about how something sounds. Oh well - that's life and someone elses problem!

On a different note (slightly) the car is in for the 20k service today and I have told them about the latest tank full - 36odd mpg with mainly Motorway driving at or around the national sped limit, (AC off and cruise used)- when I have actually had over 600 miles from a tank full just after the last 5th Injector - and I have not changed my driving style for years, though have adapted it for this gearing 2 years ago when I got it....

So basically mines gone from mid 40's MPG to mid 30's in 12 months, and it had something similar before that too prior to the injector being changed over 12 months ago... I always use BP or Shell fuels though I have used Sainsbo's a few times in between (may be 3 or 4 tank top-ups). Now someone tell me that I'm barking rubbish!

May be it's just the RHD versions with a problem....who knows!

They are checking that out today. They are also looking at why the dash appears to have dropped by a few millimeters, and are looking at the 2 dash vents which rattle.

PS - I bet the IS250 is still runnig sweet! I'll get jealous in advance - before you all Auto drivers say yes!

Jamboo, Mine's in tomorrow for them to 'take a look at it' as i'm getting 35.5 mpg also. Supposed to have had the 5th injector replaced in January so cant see why it should be so bad -unless there is a small leak somewhere!!! :lol:

My beef has always been that I am getting poor service from the Dealer and Lexus are no assistance either. The Dealer blames Lexus, Lexus just dont bother answering any queries they just refer you back to the dealer. Which is a shame because its supposed to be what they are good at ( we're back to what it says on the tin again)

That seems to be the most common problem. Is it just IS owners who get treatment like this or all owners? Someone went to the same dealership I bought my IS from and got treated like a lord because he enquired about the RX400h. He then got invited to an exclusive evening event at the dealership. Maybe the IS is the Austin Metro of Lexus and we're the scum of the earth.

I was given an hours test drive unsupervised on a Saturday morning. It took half an hour to get out of the city congestion giving just a quick five minutes of real time driving to evaluate. I seem to remember the test car was a sport? too with the better raios. Devious and cunning of the dealership.

Rubish!

The IS220d is a good car. At least the current version. I bought a 220d L and I am very pleased with it. The diesel is not very fast and it only as a reasonable aceleration but with its two tonnes what do you want. Its either the extras or the weight, buy the sport version whitout any extras. Lighter and better gear ratio. In Portugal diesel is quite less expensive than petrol ant taxes are based on cc so the 250 petrol is out of question.

What are you looking for?

I have a 220d and am very happy with it. So happy that I drive it! I have almost 70k km up now.

I am getting 38 -39 mpg and that includes about 50% urban. I have had one or two issues that have been excellently dealt with

by the dealers.

I think the answer to your question depends on what your success criteria are.

It's a comfortable, quiet diesel with good performance but not best in class economy.

There were problems with rattles in early cars. My understanding is that these have been largely resolved.

It has not been an issue for me. But, I am a happy owner. Maybe I dont count.

SO because someone posts a negative opinion of the IS220D no one should take any notice of them? What utter rubbish. I'm paid to drive a car very fast as part of my job so I know a thing or two about how to drive. The IS220D is a very nice looking car that fails in all it attempts to be. It is not fast in comparrison to its competition. It has the worst fuel economy of the class I'm getting 33mpg around town driving like Miss Daisey. The gearing is crap. The ride harsh and the engine noisy. Couple that with poor dealership standards common in a lot of places judging by the review section and the IS220 doesn't seem very appealing. I'd recommend test driving one for a day before you commit to buying one. If you have to have a deisel I'd recommend looking elsewhere. If you really want an IS go for the IS250.

did you test drive for a day.

did you test drive for a day.

No could only get an hour. I was sucked in by all the hype and wasn't aware of this site. If I had of been I'd have made sure I got a full days test drive before handing over my hard earned.