Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Head Unit Replacement

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share my experiences with the head unit replacement in my IS200. Firstly, the old unit threw an Err3 on New Years day and no amount of thumping, kicking or fuse-jiggling has managed to get it going... it' dead. So a replacement needed; I thought about the Grom IPOD audio connector for about 2 minutes and decided agaisnt that because of the uncertainty of it integrating with the old unit, and because I also wanted to play CDs.

OK, deciding on a replacement head unit, I looked around trying to find something that would really compare with the old Fujitsu features and I found this http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2008...2387285499.html It's a double DIN unit, 6-CD autochanger, promptly ordered with a set of rear Sony 3-way components speakers. (I've decided to keep the original fronts for the time being though will upgrade soon).

I also opted for the Autoleads facia; I received back a bag of cheap plastic pieces and figured that no-way was I going to bolt the new head unit onto this (because it gives no security and could easily be broken and my new unit ripped out.

So I figured... lets cut the new facia kit and mould/glue it onto the old metal CD hangers, drill new holes to fit CD player as necessary.

post-21948-1205156716.jpg

post-21948-1205157340.jpg

Now for the best bit. I read in the installation instructions that the Clarion head unit is a replacement for Toyotas; also the existing holes in the metal hangers line up perfectly. Hooray. :lol: So I bolted the Clarion into the car and no one is gonna get it out in a hurry. I hope you all agree that it looks very nice. I must say it sounds out of this world.

post-21948-1205157180.jpg

post-21948-1205157476.jpg

Oh, I also took DJs lead and removed the ski hatch and installed a boom-box in the boot forward-facing. :D

Nice post matey, job well done. Glad you got some good sounds back in your Lexus. :D

I dittract slightly, that is the ugliest Head Unit I think I have ever seen. :crybaby:

It kinda reminds me of a dodgy CB Radio from the 80's

Sorry mate as I don't wanna offend. I'm sure it is a great sounding unit, Clarion are a premium brand,

but from the web page you link to above I just have to quote

"The essence of audio is alive in its design"

hmmmmmmm.................:whistling:

Good job on fitting there :)

How'd you get on with installin the speakers?

So did this headunit just plug straight into the OEM connector or did you need to get an ISO adapter?

Have to kind f agree with Wozza, not too sure about the headunit. Just long as your happy with it, thats all that matters.

Hi, this is an excellent forum that has really helped me in the past. Not posted before but I need your help with replacing the headunit on an IS200 SE (54 plate)

I've researched replacing the head unit for an after sales one, started today and got the old stereo factory fit out no problems and am ready to get the amp by-pass lead in.

Problem I have is that I can't workout how to get the connector off the back of the amp or remove the amp completely.

I read an article here a few days ago with some advice on how to get to it but I can't find the post.

Can you help me please..

Thanks

But the basics are, undo the bolt to the bottom left of the glove box, cut off the cable ties round the big loom and try and undo the bolts on the amp.

Then prepare for a few scratches on your hand lol

Stav