Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been at it all day and still nothing. I have broken a brand new snap on impact wrench and the 1000llb/ft torque gun is not touching it.

I have coated it in wd40 overnight. any help would be appreciated i don't want to snap the bolt.

I have heard these can be very tight, I think Lexus have a special tool.

Try a search, im sure this has been covered many times, you could also try www.clublex.com for tech help

had this prob with mine.the crank was thking the impact out of the gun.i made a clamp to go around the pully and made it so that it touched the garage floor.then the bolt could get the full impact from the gun then and it came off.not sure but if you remove the starter you may be able to stop the flywheel turning.bit gruesome but you could weld a bar to the pully to stop it taking the shok.disconnect Battery.

DONE IT. Thank f***. I went to a couple of local garages i know and got the largest impact gun "no joy". Called in a few favours and got hold of a

2000llb/ft torque gun and fannys ure aunt its off.

Thanks for all ure advice.

Now that you've done this isn't much help BUT I had the same problem, foreman in the local Lexus dealers is a friend and lent me the tool. It bolts to the front pully, and rests on top of the inner wing on the drivers side, to hold the crank. I then sat on the floor and pushed my Snap on knuckle bar with my feet. BIG BANG and I undid it the rest of the way with my fingers. i was warned DO NOT torque it up, just tighten it by hand. I've got pictures and dimensions of the tools if anyone needs them.

• 2 weeks later...
DONE IT. Thank f***. I went to a couple of local garages i know and got the largest impact gun "no joy". Called in a few favours and got hold of a

2000llb/ft torque gun and fannys ure aunt its off.

Thanks for all ure advice.

Now that you've done this isn't much help BUT I had the same problem, foreman in the local Lexus dealers is a friend and lent me the tool. It bolts to the front pully, and rests on top of the inner wing on the drivers side, to hold the crank. I then sat on the floor and pushed my Snap on knuckle bar with my feet. BIG BANG and I undid it the rest of the way with my fingers. i was warned DO NOT torque it up, just tighten it by hand. I've got pictures and dimensions of the tools if anyone needs them.

Hi,

If its not too much trouble, could you post a pic and dimensions of the tools. Since its such a common issue when replacing a timing belt it would he really useful for future reference if I or anyone attempt thsi job. I've heard horrer stories of people trying to get them off, rounded the nut which then needed drilling out !

Many thanks. :)

• 2 months later...

i hope the crankshaft pulley is not the same as the timing belt pulley?

cos my mechanic said my crankshaft pulley is damaged but assured me its not same as timming belt pulley, is this true?

its the big pulley at the bottom of all the others,

OK

The crank pulley is the large pulley on the front of the crankshaft low down on the front of the engine that everybody has trouble undoing. This drives the "fan" belt, or accessory belt, and inturn drives the power steering, alternator, aircon pump etc.

The timing belt pulley lives directly behind the crank pulley inside the timing belt cover and is clamped in place by the crank pulley. This is a much smaller toothed pulley that drives the timing belt, which drives the camshafts and a few other bits like the water pump and oil pump. Its is very unlikely that this toothed pulley is damaged as it is a solid lump of steel protected from the elements. The Crank pulley on the other hand is made up of a couple of bits of steel essentially held together with a bit of rubber...... If the pulley is removed with a puller in the wrong way, then the pulley can be easily damaged. If the bolt can be undone, changing the pulley is simple enough as you will only have to remove the drive belt and possibly the radiator to get enough access. Removing the crank pulley will not upset you timing belt/ cam timing as it should not have to be touched in any way and the timing pulley is locked in position by a woodruft key.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tony

• 8 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links