Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Balancing North London - Hertfordshire

Deep Blue

Hi,

I am new to the forum but have been reading many links and found the information to be first class

I have a "W" reg Lexus GS 300. What a great car, not for sports driving but for cruising - outstanding.

The dredded wheel wobble or out of balance syndrone - yes I have experianced it. Had the wheels balanced several times and no one has cracked it 100% They have been balanced off the car on the centre core and as we all know that is a disaster, I even got an engineer to slacken the bolt holding the wheel and turn it just 45 degrees and his eyes popped out of his head as the balance was now out. One firm put more lead onto one wheel in weight than the alloy!!! well it seemed like it.

I ended up in Croxley Green, twice and they were spun up on a plate but even that was not perfect... it's not bad but with a Lexus you feel that it should be perfect. So the question is, I have read the Blogs and there is a firm in Wilmslow that everyone says is wonderful but I live in a small village to the south of St Albans and what I need is a firm within 20 miles that can really do the business - maybe even do it on car ??

So, Please help if you can.

Frustrated Martin :crybaby:

Hi,

I am new to the forum but have been reading many links and found the information to be first class

I have a "W" reg Lexus GS 300. What a great car, not for sports driving but for cruising - outstanding.

The dredded wheel wobble or out of balance syndrone - yes I have experianced it. Had the wheels balanced several times and no one has cracked it 100% They have been balanced off the car on the centre core and as we all know that is a disaster, I even got an engineer to slacken the bolt holding the wheel and turn it just 45 degrees and his eyes popped out of his head as the balance was now out. One firm put more lead onto one wheel in weight than the alloy!!! well it seemed like it.

I ended up in Croxley Green, twice and they were spun up on a plate but even that was not perfect... it's not bad but with a Lexus you feel that it should be perfect. So the question is, I have read the Blogs and there is a firm in Wilmslow that everyone says is wonderful but I live in a small village to the south of St Albans and what I need is a firm within 20 miles that can really do the business - maybe even do it on car ??

So, Please help if you can.

Frustrated Martin :crybaby:

Thanks for the quick reply but I can't see the answer as to a real wheel balancer in Herts or North London..

As I said it's a lot better but not perfect and it spoils the grace of teh Lexus glide (I like that) may flog it to them as a logo or mission statement

Martin

PM Tony and he will give you an answer as to wether he can help, im sure he can.

I have seen his nameall over the place - I presume I wait for him to answer???? It's all too clever for this old guy

Regards Martin

Thanks for coming forward with views.

Even though a "W" reg the vehicle has achieved just a tad over 40,000 and all local stuff. The bushes were looked at late last year and no play was seen.

The fact that the wheels are so silly, (balanced, turned on machine 45 degrees and then out of balance( says it all and the fact that when done twice on a plate it improved must say it's balance.. The folks on this forum, they too have had the same problem which I was advised was the hole is not central in the wheel, then to tyre inbalance and the also weight of the locking stud!

I'm 60 years old and have been driving for 43 years and owned may cars from a lowly Ford Popular to a whole range of sports cars and saloons in this country and in Europe and I have ever experianced this problem in that time.. The forum seems to back up that there is a problem with the Wheels on the GS 300 - if the problem is proven as wheels, and it won't balance, I will just go and get 4 from another supplier.

Just hope that a balance on the car would be proof.

Best regards and many thanks

Martin :winky:

jack the car up and check the fronts for bearing slack ( push the top and bottom of the wheel simultaneously and see if there's any play) if this is a No then have the wheel balance check done on your wheels when the tyres are taken off ( this will see if the wheels are buckled ) if this is ok it could be the tyres or a tyre with warped banding , to be honest a good tyre dealer would do this for you or at least offer to , bear in mind he'll charge well for it , best way is to have a mate who works for a tyre place and get him to do it for a bunce .

Regards

Paul

Jack the car up and check the fronts for bearing slack ( push the top and bottom of the wheel simultaneously and see if there's any play) if this is a No then have the wheel balance check done on your wheels when the tyres are taken off ( this will see if the wheels are buckled ) if this is ok it could be the tyres or a tyre with warped banding , to be honest a good tyre dealer would do this for you or at least offer to , bear in mind he'll charge well for it , best way is to have a mate who works for a tyre place and get him to do it for a bunce .

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul and thanks for the advice on checking bearing slack.. it's not that either, it was checked by the Croxley Green Tyre and wheel firm.. they were good and they also checked the rims to see if there were buckles... I have meet several tyre dealers and only one was not up to scratch but even the good guys have a problem with the Lexus GS 300 wheel balance.

I would be happy for a tyre/wheel guy to come and do a survey and I would pay but I feel if the wheels can be balanced on the car and then it still produces wobble then a deeper investigation but I feel the on car balance would help reduce the search for more answers...

I am sure you have read the bogs on this problem and how folks try and try over and over again and then they find the dealer who does the trick, like the one in Wilmslow, and they then report smooth as silk.... I must try this path

Many thanks Martin :crybaby::whistling:

No probs Martin , you're welcome , have you had all the bushes checked also , oh and lastly what make tyres are you running ??

Hi Paul

Yes had two new tyres, they made it worse, they were balanced on a plate and put on teh rear and the other two with full tread were put to the front and as I said before they are not too bad but not perfect. If it were bushes, it should make no difference what tyres or balance - there would be a problem but as it can be reduced it has to be balance - seriusly saw 14 weights stuck on teh inside of one of the wheels.

As to make.. another time, Thought I was going to stay up for the Grand Prix but at 03:06am flagging and going to bed...

Just would like a recomendation from someone who has had theeh problem and now sorted out in North London or Herts..

Just love the car - at 60mph you can't hear engine noise at all and if you are on a new piece of road there is no tyre noise - wonderful machine..

Martin

Just to let you know Martin, Tony Bones (known as the geometry Dr. on this and many other car club forums)

has a brand new centre opening within 3-4 weeks, (building work etc permitting).

This is in Chesham, which isn't too far out from Watford or Rickmansworth.

If anyone can get to the botom of your wheel wobble issue, Tony can.

Something wrong ? ............... go see The Dr. :winky:

Wheels-InMotion (WIM)

33 Chess Business Park

Moor Road

Chesham

HP5 1SD

Telephone

0794 842 7383

enquiries@wheels-inmotion.co.uk

Just to let you know Martin, Tony Bones (known as the geometry Dr. on this and many other car club forums)

has a brand new centre opening within 3-4 weeks, (building work etc permitting).

Wheels-InMotion (WIM)

33 Chess Business Park

Moor Road

Chesham

HP5 1SD

Telephone

0794 842 7383

Fantastic, that is what I needed... I hope to be their first customer... just love this forum and the car

Best regards

Martin

Wheels-InMotion (WIM)

33 Chess Business Park

Moor Road

Chesham

HP5 1SD

Telephone

0794 842 7383

I told you that in post # 2. :D

A few questions for you...

1: The plate, was that one that bolted the wheel on using the stud holes

2: What speed does the vibration start and can you drive through it

3: What make of tyre do you have

4: When did this problem start, was there any work done to the car between when things were ok and now