Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is-f Bbk For New Is And Gs Models

Found this on Club Lexus

Carson Toyota out in LA have priced up the IS-F brembo BBK for approx 1000 quid front and rear. That's at current exchange rates and assuming you are able to pop over there and bring it back in your suitcase!

Pretty impressive setup! There is talk it may even fit 98-05 GS cars, oooh, like mine! It would need some custom brackets though, which they are testing.

Club Lexus Group Buy on IS-F BBK

Found this on Club Lexus

Carson Toyota out in LA have priced up the IS-F Brembo BBK for approx 1000 quid front and rear. That's at current exchange rates and assuming you are able to pop over there and bring it back in your suitcase!

Pretty impressive setup! There is talk it may even fit 98-05 GS cars, oooh, like mine! It would need some custom brackets though, which they are testing.

I am fascinated to know what is the motivation for wanting to make such a modification? Do you race your car and are you seeking to improve the "fade" characteristics of your braking system?

If not, what advantage do you see in spending £1,000 in this way?

Found this on Club Lexus

Carson Toyota out in LA have priced up the IS-F Brembo BBK for approx 1000 quid front and rear. That's at current exchange rates and assuming you are able to pop over there and bring it back in your suitcase!

I am fascinated to know what is the motivation for wanting to make such a modification? Do you race your car and are you seeking to improve the "fade" characteristics of your braking system?

If not, what advantage do you see in spending £1,000 in this way?

Either those folks who drive enthusiastically or take the car onto the track would be interested in such a setup. Principal reasons for getting a BBK are:

Shorter Stopping Distances

Better Brake Modulation

Firmer Brake Pedal

Less Brake Fade

the brakes dont really make stopping distances shorter, however they allow you to make more heavy braking applications before fade or pad burn takes place

in them self, they wont give any firmer brake feel, but the nature of no brake fade/boiling of the fluid, as more fluid is used in a larger caliper

i think if you drive, enthusiastically, the std brake set up is more than good enough for the job,

if need be just fit a more abrasive pad....Mintex for example

Either those folks who drive enthusiastically or take the car onto the track would be interested in such a setup. Principal reasons for getting a BBK are:

Shorter Stopping Distances

Better Brake Modulation

Firmer Brake Pedal

Less Brake Fade

It's why I asked if "racing" was on the menu.

Shorter stopping distances: If the brakes you have are capable of locking up the wheels at the maximum speed at which you drive (and mine are) then changing the pads or the disks will not (unless there is fade) make any difference to the minimum stopping distance, which is a function of the co-efficient of friction at the point where the wheel is just short of stopping rotation.

Brake modulation: Unless you have no ABS or the ABS turned off, brake modulation is not an issue. Even the most skilful drivers cannot modulate brake pressure as effectively as does ABS.

Firmer brake pedal: For a fixed master cylinder cross section and power assist, it's a function of the pressure in the system and the elasticity of the system. Changing the cross section and swept volume of the slave cylinders could make some difference, but it would be marginal and it is not obvious, without doing detailed calculations, in which direction the change would go.

Less brake fade: Yes, absolutely, if you are driving in such a way that you experience fade, this would be an advantage.

So, for racing, where fade may be a problem, a useful mod. For the rest of us, I conclude that it is pretty much a complete waste of money? Unless of course it's a "pimping" issue? . . . :D

I should also say, that there may be penalties in other directions. Changing the unsprung weight is not without handling consequences.

Can we conclude cars like the Lexus IS-F, BMW M5, M3, AMG Mercs, 911 Turbos with their big brake kits are a waste of money unless you take them on a track and are only there for pimp value ?

That's a bit of a leap of logic. All I was suggesting was that spending a £1000 on a mod that will not make any significant performance difference to most of us may not therefore be sensible for most of us. But hey it's a free country and as long as you understand why you are really doing it, perfectly appropriate to spend your money on something that makes you feel good.

I was on Guernsey last year. We go there regularly and will be there again in June. There is an overall speed limit of 35 m.p.h. and there are lots of very narrow roads. The longest coast to coast distance on the island is about six miles.

You cannot help but notice the large number of vehicles parked in St Peter Port, close to the various offshore banks and fitting nicely into the sort of list that you have given us. What aspect of driving experience do you think would be the motivation for their purchase?

Can we conclude cars like the Lexus IS-F, BMW M5, M3, AMG Mercs, 911 Turbos with their big brake kits are a waste of money unless you take them on a track and are only there for pimp value ?

erm no, they have the power on tap to require the much bigger brakes as fitted to them.

a std IS, GS, RX, or LS doesnt have the power to warrent the brake upgrades

the brakes as fitted std to these cars are more than upto the job of stopping the cars, in everyday normal use

Found this on Club Lexus

A couple of points:

1. They state the IS250 and IS350 front calipers are the same, but they're really not. The IS250 has a two pot caliper, the IS350 has a four pot which is shared with the GS300 from 2006 onwards.

2. The OEM 18" Rims will not fit over the IS-F calipers, so doubt if they will fit over this BBK. Also the IS-F 19" will not fit an IS350 with standard calipers. Joe Z on the Club Lexus forum has used a members IS-F and his own IS350 and attempted to swop wheels to confirm this. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342503

So for the IS250 and IS350 it's not only the IS-F BBK that you'll need, but non OEM 19" or the OEM IS-F 19" rims.

I've gone for the four pot calipers off the IS350/GS300 for my IS250 in an attempt to slow down the disc & pad wear and alleviate all that dust :angry: . Already got the 19" rims but a 6 pot BBK is just a waste of money IMHO.

I'm only kidding dude :)

But seriously, improvement in brake fade is the biggest factor why most people who spend this sort of money are looking for. The typical profile of this kind of person would be someone who may go on a track day, take their car to the ring or from time to time drive enthusiastically. By 'enthusiastically' I would mean to put the kind of demands on their brakes that they would if they were on a track. And this isn't very difficult to do if you car can accelerate fast.

Imagine going on a empty airfield and doing 110mph and braking very sharply (almost like an emergency stop) down to 30 mph and doing this several times in a row when the brakes are already quite hot. Soon enough you may find that the 'standard' pads and discs just aren’t stopping the car very effectively even when your pushing hard on the pedal. But with performance kits its a different story.

My Ls400 has 4 piston callipers and 315mm discs at the front as standard and this is by no means weak. The brakes are awesome for stopping a 1900kg car but you can start to feel the brakes start to hot after a few brisk stops. I have driven a 997 911 Turbo (which weights around 1700kg) with big cross drilled bbks I can really appreciate how well the brakes continue to hold up when they are hot.

Sierrra Cosworth, Skyline, Supra, Evo drivers may spend unto £2,500 on brakes because if you got a powerful car that can easily reach high speeds, you need the brakes to match the power for safety. Same goes say if you got a GS300 for example which isn’t exactly a light car but you want to be able to enjoy the acceleration for a heavy-ish car without being 'held back' by the brakes getting hot.

But generally speaking a person who is going to buy such a car is most probably going to use it exactly what it was designed for. And your right you will always get the pimp aspect as well. Funniest is probably the footballers and sports-stars with their Astons and Ferraris etc and sometimes wrapping them around lampposts. lol

As always the best and safest place to enjoy this kind of fast car performance is to simply take your car off the public roads and on a track or airfield :)

erm no, they have the power on tap to require the much bigger brakes as fitted to them.

a std IS, GS, RX, or LS doesnt have the power to warrent the brake upgrades

the brakes as fitted std to these cars are more than upto the job of stopping the cars, in everyday normal use

I agree. After driving it for the 1st time I was very surprised how well the brakes on the series 4 LS400 can stop such a heavy car, even with 4 passangers and luggage !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links