Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Group 1 Baby Seat

I need help!!

Been down to Mothercare to try a few baby seats (namely the Maxi Cosi Priori XP, Tobi and the Britax Evolva 123 and First Si - these all get good ratings on the Which? test baring in mind they are not isofix).

I now have a problem. None really fitted that well to be honest, as the Priori XP risks buckle crunch as does the Evolva 123.

So, what group 1 (9-18kg I think) seats do you guys use in you IS200/300's? My car is a Jan 01 X-reg with no isofix unfortunately!

Also, does anyone know if the Isofix fixings can be retro fitted at all?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about baby seats, but what do you mean retrofit the ISOFIX fixings, they're already in there aren't they? I know they're on my car..........

Unfortunately I don't know anything about baby seats, but what do you mean retrofit the ISOFIX fixings, they're already in there aren't they? I know they're on my car..........

Even if they are there, they aren't positioned well, and don't line up with the "seat" part, being offset toward the hump.

I fitted my daughters Duo Plus with ISOFIX, but having removed it to clean the car, will prob just replace it using the seatbelt.

If you are at all considering changing your car before your child has grown out of the seat, I would still go for the Duo Plus - when I got it I was running an E30 BMW, but knew I would be getting a newer car in the not too distant future, so went for the Duo Plus - it fits really well to most cars just with a seatbelt, and actually seems at least as good in the back of the IS with the belt as it does with ISOFIX.

If you have leather, I would recommend getting a car seat protector thing from Halfords - not so much to protect the leather, but because they provide a less slippy surface for the seat to be mounted on.

Also, try Mothercare and Halfords to decide what you want, but shop around before buying, neither of the mentioned places are especially cheap. We got one of our Duo Plus's from Babyscene in Leeds, and the other from Kiddicare.com, both places being much cheaper than the national chains.

cheers guys for the options.

I have been down to Mothercare and tried the ones I was interested in and some others with not much luck, hence my posting!

The Priori XP is not recommended for the IS200 by Maxi-cosi, hence a no go there! Buckle Crunch is where the buckle is resting on the car seat frame. With the priori xp the buckle does this and is also higher than the frame point where the belt goes under the "seat" of the seat. This is bad as in an accident the seatbelt buckle can open, leaving nothing holding the seat in.

I don't want to buy any old seat as some are really really poor!! The Which? website shows some shocking videos or badly made ones!!

Isofix fittings on the IS200 only came in mid way through 2001 which is why mine hasn't got them! boooo. It cannot be retrofitted, asked Lexus.

If only Lexus had made the seatbelt buckle "belt bit" shorter or placed the buckle further back towards the backrest there would be no problem!

It appears they dont take much consideration to these things when making a car!

Maxi-cosi say that the Tobi might be ok but should be test fitted. Was a little loose but am sure with some force it would be ok. But the little lever that tensions the belt is very very close to the seat belt/buckle.

The hunt goes on it seems!

The Priori XP is not recommended for the IS200 by Maxi-cosi, hence a no go there! Buckle Crunch is where the buckle is resting on the car seat frame. With the priori xp the buckle does this and is also higher than the frame point where the belt goes under the "seat" of the seat. This is bad as in an accident the seatbelt buckle can open, leaving nothing holding the seat in.

I think there must be difference in the seats that you have and the full leather seats in my IS (limited edition). Like i said i've used the Priori XP in mine for 18 months with no problems. There is certainly no way the buckle can open. The fit is excellent with none of the problems you mentioned and the leather is protected with a gripper mat. Like you i contacted Maxi-cosi b4 i purchased and they confirmed it will fit no problem. Maybe the design has changed?

ummm strange. When I called them, they did say that it wasn't actually tested by them and you should go by the fitting advice from say Halfords etc!

I may try Halfords for a fit of this seat then cos its an excellent seat. Maybe the people at Mothercare were mistaken. When I looked at it when it was fitted, it did look fine, apart from the height of the top of the seatbelt buckle was just above top of the seat base thingy.

But then I didn't think that would be an issue, but woman in Mothercare did! But then I have the half "suede seats" and not full leather, and maybe with the gripper mat, its a little firmer so doesn't sink in so much?

Ho hum. It will be nice when we can have a world that is consistant.

To update, I have just come back from Halfords where the fitted a Maxi-Cosi Priori XP.

Verdit was a No Go due to possible risk of buckle crunch. Issue is that the length of the buckle seatbelt bit is too long which brings the height of the belt clip above the base height of the plastic base. In an accident there is a risk that due to the sideways pressure of the belt it could damage, snap, open the seatbelt.

For obvious reasons this is not desirable.

For info, my car is a 2001 model, X-reg, registered in Jan 2001.

I think this is why Maxi Cosi do not show any result of the IS200 on their website. Either different model years may have slightly different length belt clip belts or if you use the rubber seat protectors then maybe it helps?

Why oh why couldn;t they have put isofix on the car from new or earlier!!

Why oh why couldn;t they have put isofix on the car from new or earlier!!

As I mentioned previously, the ISOFIX points are so awkward to get to, they are almost useless anyway. Much more difficult to use than in anything else I have tried, so you haven't really missed out. Also you can't fit a Duo Plus in the boot, and the opening is tricky to get a full size pushchair in and out of. Guess Toyota just didn't want these cars to be used by families.

umm, good point about boot access, that rear window doesn;t half limit things!!

Guess they want you to go out and buy a verso!!! Which is possibly what I might do, though the Honda FRV looks nice.

umm, good point about boot access, that rear window doesn;t half limit things!!

Guess they want you to go out and buy a verso!!! Which is possibly what I might do, though the Honda FRV looks nice.

Get an S-Max. The FR-V has very narrow seats, hence 3 abreast, and you seem very close to the door, had one once as a courtesy car. The Verso is dull in extremis, and you won't be able to use it without getting flagged down as a cab.

• 10 months later...
cheers guys for the options.

I have been down to Mothercare and tried the ones I was interested in and some others with not much luck, hence my posting!

I don't want to buy any old seat as some are really really poor!! The Which? website shows some shocking videos or badly made ones!!

Isofix fittings on the IS200 only came in mid way through 2001 which is why mine hasn't got them! boooo. It cannot be retrofitted, asked Lexus.

If only Lexus had made the seatbelt buckle "belt bit" shorter or placed the buckle further back towards the backrest there would be no problem!

It appears they dont take much consideration to these things when making a car!

Maxi-cosi say that the Tobi might be ok but should be test fitted. Was a little loose but am sure with some force it would be ok. But the little lever that tensions the belt is very very close to the seat belt/buckle.

The hunt goes on it seems!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got the same problem, V reg 2001 IS200, had this problem 3 years ago for my son now have the same problem for my 11 month old daughter.

Have had mixed reviews from Halfords, Mothercare and Toy r us on weather the maxi cosy Tobi fits and nothing else really does!

Please can you tell me what you ended up woth Kev dood. Anyone else slao, thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links