Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lack Of "creep" On Is Automatics?

Just a query about the lack of creep on my IS - you really have to be gentle and steady to accelerate from idle especially on a camber/gradient; also on when reversing it can be quite scary if you are not gentle!

Are all IS autos like this or is it just mine?

Other automatic cars you have to use the footbrake alot more to avoid the car from moving!

You're right that the IS doesn't really creep on its own when going forwards (which I prefer) but mine pulls quite strongly in reverse - I only need to use the accelerator when reversing on really steep hills, otherwise just releasing the brake a little works fine

Exactly the same here, I normally reverse park with snow mode on...

I'm really surprised that you all use the accelerator when reversing, I barely ever need to...........is this something that might have changed during the 2001 facelift? How old are your cars?

As Woz said it does seem more responsive when you first drive it.......as for the creep, turn your sterring wheel just a touch and the car will creep, i do this when parking up in the drive to get it right up to the wall :winky:

Mine creeps sometimes and other occasions it just stays still. My last car was a 2001 Accord coupe and that used to creep quite strongly either in Drive or Reverse Gears.

Quick question for you guys... Does you auto change very quickly from gear 1 to 2 when you start moving?

Yeah - I find that mine only goes into first when to reach a complete stand still and then it changes to 2nd almost straight away when you move off. Also it tries to get into 5th as soon as possible when it's in normal driving mode.

I find the creep is much more noticeable when the car is cold and the oil is cold in the gearbox (torque converter). Otherwise it's only a small creep. It is good they way it doesn't go backwards though, even if you are on quite a steep gradient. Snow mode does help you go backwards less aggressively.

My IS300 Auto is the same. It doesn't creep much forwards, but loves running off backwards. Especially when cold - like many cars, revs are a bit higher when first started to avoid rough running and to warm up the cat quickly to meet emissions standards. Again like many cars, I think reverse gear is lower ratio than first gear. All this can get a bit hairy when I reverse down my sloping drive in the morning. Plus the brakes are less effective going backwards due to smaller rear disks...

• 4 weeks later...

I parked in a car park which was sloping downwards a little and when I was getting out an Audi was waiting for me so he could get in my place - I was struggling to be gentle and slow but actually to make the car MOVE! It was lurching backwards! He must have been laughing his head after at the time I was taking...looking like a learner or something. Wish I had been in a manual at that time.

I parked in a car park which was sloping downwards a little and when I was getting out an Audi was waiting for me so he could get in my place - I was struggling to be gentle and slow but actually to make the car MOVE! It was lurching backwards! He must have been laughing his head after at the time I was taking...looking like a learner or something. Wish I had been in a manual at that time.

I've gotta say it really does sound like there's something wrong here - in reverse I never need to use the accelerator unless on a pretty steep slope........