Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone noticed that their diesel is a bit smokey on motorways?

I thought it was normal but at night every now and then i can see smoke in other car headlights beahind me.

Last weekend my mate was driving behind me and i was doing about 40... I slowly went into the fast lane to gently overtake another car and I noticed the smoke again in my mates headlights. Seemed when turbo kicked in.

When we arrived at the destination my mate commnented on how smokey the car is and he spotted 4 puffs of smoke over 2 miles which seemd a bit more than a deisel normally emits.

Anyone know if there is a problem with these engines?

I thought it was normal but at night every now and then i can see smoke in other car headlights beahind me.

Last weekend my mate was driving behind me and i was doing about 40... I slowly went into the fast lane to gently overtake another car and I noticed the smoke again in my mates headlights. Seemed when turbo kicked in.

When we arrived at the destination my mate commnented on how smokey the car is and he spotted 4 puffs of smoke over 2 miles which seemd a bit more than a deisel normally emits.

how old is your car and how many miles has it done.

i would say half a dispstick in 6 months

its not a smoke screen but more random puffs... but more than a disel normally does.

if in doubt speak to your service manager,mine has never needed topping up with oil.

Mine has an apetite for oil - and it goes through phases. I would say it averages out to about 3 litres of oil over 12 months, and it goes through episodes of guzzling and then episods of calm....

I mentioned this to my dealer last year and thy eren't too worried, probably meaning that it is expected.

I've never seen any smoke haze in the mirror though - I definitely did get that with my Audi and Pug's.

The smoke can be one of 2 things -

Black Sooty stuff - i.e. diesel

Blue/White smoke - i.e. oil

Though the car has a "down turned exhaust pipe" it's not supposd to smoke as far as I know. It's part of the emissions control and the fact that the car has a Cat and particulate filter (or so I believe) you really shouldn't get any smoke....

PS - you do see some cars on the motorways puff up smoke when changing gears. I don't know whether it's valves guides or piston rings - but one of them causes it...

As dgman says - I'd take it in....

jamboo Ii remember reading the brochure at time of purchaseand there was reference to smoke reduction.by the way you spoke recently about leics not being able to fix your rear veiw mirror,they fixed mine before christmas.

jamboo Ii remember reading the brochure at time of purchaseand there was reference to smoke reduction.by the way you spoke recently about leics not being able to fix your rear veiw mirror,they fixed mine before christmas.

I was told that the fix hadn't been made available freely by Lexus - something about it being under review...I'll keep a wobbly eye on it

Tango has an IS200 (I think still)

And...I'm used to diesels taking oil, so I haven't really worried too much about it....I half expected it to take quite a bit of oil until at least 20k. Prvious cars have taken some oil until 10-20K, then one litre per 10k, and up to 2 or 3 litres per 10k aftr 75000 miles...it was historically normal. However, these new diesels have partculate filters and Cat converters, so me thinks that any oil going into those bits could cause issues...

I'm going to have to resolve not to read any more 220D threads, they're mostly very depressing.... :crybaby:

You should try owning an IS200 with very poor fuel economy, increased congestion charges, and massive road tax hike.

Yes Wozza...I've got an IS200 Sport :crying: but I don't drive it in London :whistling:

I'm going to have to resolve not to read any more 220D threads, they're mostly very depressing.... :crybaby:

well i reckon assuming your 250 does 28 avg and my 220d 40 avg on my 18k per year thats 800 quid better for me,sorry to here about the depression.

well i reckon assuming your 250 does 28 avg and my 220d 40 avg on my 18k per year thats 800 quid better for me,sorry to here about the depression.

The 800 quid difference doesn't faze me at all...driving the IS250 auto is more than worth the mpg difference. I'm just commenting on the 220D posts...there's an awful lot of them and mainly whinging about some fault or another...makes depressing reading to me, just thankful I didn't feel the need to buy one to save a few quid on fuel....sorry, but that's got to be the only reason to buy one surely, unless of course it's a Company car/policy and there's no choice in the matter? :tomato:

The 800 quid difference doesn't faze me at all...driving the IS250 auto is more than worth the mpg difference. I'm just commenting on the 220D posts...there's an awful lot of them and mainly whinging about some fault or another...makes depressing reading to me, just thankful I didn't feel the need to buy one to save a few quid on fuel....sorry, but that's got to be the only reason to buy one surely, unless of course it's a Company car/policy and there's no choice in the matter? :tomato:

I notice lately that some people are useing words like negativity, whinging, taking sideswipes at etc about members commenting on their problems with their cars(mostly IS 220Ds). Are we only allowed to say good things about our cars here now and when did this new rule come into effect. We know we are whinging etc but who else is there for us to tell except people with the same problem who just may feel like commiserating with us.

My IS 220d has not used a drop of oil since I got it :lol:

all bought and paid for with my own money.

• 1 year later...

YES the 220d is a heavy smoker...

I have the same problem with my 3.5yo, 2006 IS 220D (55000KM). After my engine block and head-gasket, among many others, were changed under warranty my car started smoking heavily on the motorway on a regular basis, especially when mildly accelerating to overtake (most pronounced around 2500rpm in 4th gear). At night I can see in my RV-mirror huge clouds of smoke behind the car made even more dramatic by the headlights of the traffic behind me.

My CAT has probably drowned in the thick smoke and is laying dead drunk somewhere on the side of the road.

I am going to the dealer today for the n-th time with this car, totally fed up, believe me.

I have reported a long list of problems that I had before and were fixed, partly : just do a search 4 mee name if u fancy seeing it. I got a 2 year extended warranty for the power train but I don't sleep better...

Good luck! U (we) needed it...it's not science anymore with Lexus, but pure luck ...

Adrian

YES the 220d is a heavy smoker...

I have the same problem with my 3.5yo, 2006 IS 220D (55000KM). After my engine block and head-gasket, among many others, were changed under warranty my car started smoking heavily on the motorway on a regular basis, especially when mildly accelerating to overtake (most pronounced around 2500rpm in 4th gear). At night I can see in my RV-mirror huge clouds of smoke behind the car made even more dramatic by the headlights of the traffic behind me.

My CAT has probably drowned in the thick smoke and is laying dead drunk somewhere on the side of the road.

I am going to the dealer today for the n-th time with this car, totally fed up, believe me.

I have reported a long list of problems that I had before and were fixed, partly : just do a search 4 mee name if u fancy seeing it. I got a 2 year extended warranty for the power train but I don't sleep better...

Good luck! U (we) needed it...it's not science anymore with Lexus, but pure luck ...

Adrian

Mine's been in the dealership now for about 10 days having the engine seen to, looks like it's the head gasket, plus other bits. Mine's the same age as yours and has done 52000m. Sadly it seems that the 2.2 D4D engine is not the most reliable in the world, although the newer version with reduced emissions is said to be a vast improvement.

Maybe they'll just decide to replace the engine with a nice shiny new one :)

Then again... maybe not. :(

:) My IS 220d is approaching 22k - not yet had to top up with oil - although I do check it regularly - old habits etc......

I do get 'smoke' but have only noticed it when accelerating hard from stationary with a cold or near cold engine. I assumed it was because the cat unit was not up to temperature. No sign of smoke on motorway or other fast roads either cruising or when accelerating to overtake.

I know its off topic but I do like the urge the IS has in 4th or 5th - much more than my previous Merc 220cdi!!

• 2 weeks later...

Lads,

I went to the dealer yesterday and as I suspected the huge smoke clound was produced by burning oil as there was nearly none left in the engine. So they had to top up... And all of this after only

5000 Km (5 months after the engine rebuild e.g. head gasket, engine block, etc). Now I am ****** off and fed up waiting for this car to function properly.

I wrote the Lexus management 2day that I want my money back for this junk.

Also, as reported earlier my sound system fails (volume knob) on a regular basis now and cannot do anything (mobile phone out, navigation audio out, radion/CD out). After a day in the

garage they said they cannot ID the problem and they will call me as soon as they have something. They actually asked me if anyone has solved it on the forum so they know how to

go about it.

What a waste of my time this is.

I actually own a Dacia Logan 1.5 cdi (MCV), my work horse for heavy transport, and hit 60000Km without adding a drop of oil or fixing anything in the engine. It is 5 times cheaper and 5 times better than the Lexus. I would never believe it but this is happening to me !!!

That is why James May (Top Gear) likes dacia so much i guess ...

Good luck, as there is no science with Lexus ...insted of "Lexus the pursuit of perfection" !

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Just reading about the smokey diesels - before I go and see the local dealers -

Mine is a 07 plate - with 22k on it. I can boot it take it easy any type of driving and there is no smoke at all, but if I sit in traffic for any length of time (engine fully up to temp) and then need to load the engine (i.e pull out into fast traffic - normal road conditions). There is a plume of smoke (white) from 1st gear right thro' to 4th gear as I accelerate - this is during anything from half throttle to full throttle. It then tends to smoke again after I next pull away again.

I've checke dthe engine oil and it is still on max on the dipstick.

I had similar smoke on an old petrol car - but that was back pressure forcing past the piston rings (engine on 200k+) I can't believe a 22k engine can have this problem + it's fine on any other type of journey and when just ticking over.

Has anybody any advice or knows what's causing the smoke?

I'm going to speak to the dealer as the car is still under warranty - but a little unsure how to show them the problem.