Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Model Variations?

Hi!!

Im currently on the hunt for a new car and have been looking at the is200 and cant find another car in my price range that i can see myself driving, ive always liked the IS and i can finaly afford to buy one.

My budget isnt massive (around £4500) so im looking at a 1999/2000 model just my only problem is i dont know the difference between the S and SE.

As far as ive seen the only difference is the leather/electric/heated seats. If i could have any choice i would go for the Sport / SE but just near where im living there is an emaculate V reg IS200 S in black that has done 89k miles for 3700 and i was woundering is there much difference between the S and the SE and enough difference to give me reason to spend another £800 which could be spent on a nice set of wheels and / or sound system.

This is my first big purchase car wise so i want to be sure i'll be happy with it and just woundered if you guys n gals who already own the car could help me out.

Im not too fussed with half leather seats although it is a nice addition i think a nice set of 18" rims would be money better spent rather than buying a more expencive model and having the standard alloys.

Thanks is advance!!!!

Ross

Hi and welcome £4500 is not a bad budget the old IS has come down a lot since the introduction of the new IS...........The one your looking at is about the right price for spec,age,millage,

Personally and this is just me but if i was to buy the lower spec ie S i would always be wanting the extra's that the SE has to offer, If I was you look out for a good SE/sport version.

Oh and i hope your wallet don't mind petrol stations :lol:

Good Luck

Obviously it's your choice at the end of the day but on a used car the difference in price won't be huge so personally I'd always go for the SE - the extra spec you get is well worth it, the 17" alloys and upgraded stereo are probably the two main reasons why the SE is a better buy :)

Thanks alot for the fast replys,

i have just been round to the guys house to have a proper look round and the car is in very good condition, he is willing to drop to £3500 as he says the sterio has a cd jammed in it and wont work but im sure it could be fixed with a bit of know how, and really i would want to get rid of the standard sterio for a double dinn LCD screened one. I am seriously considering it as with the extra grand i could buy a nice set of 18" rims and a new sterio and possibly have enough to fill the tank for the first of what img uessing will be many times!!

The only thing that captures me about the SE is the better stereo system but i have a nice sub waiting in my garage which i broght last year which could make up for the lesser speakers. The leather seats would be nice but given the emaculate condition of the interior it wouldnt other me that much. MY only gripe with the car is the standard allys are a bit skummy but ive been told thats a recurring problem with them and seen as they will be gettin flogged on eBay about 3 days after i buy em so thats no problem really. I am going to see a SE in the flesh before i make any decisions as i might sit inside and change my mind as i havent been inside one as of yet.

Any way thanks again for the fast and friendly replys i look forward to becoming a proud lexus owner very soon :)

Thanks alot for the fast replys,

i have just been round to the guys house to have a proper look round and the car is in very good condition, he is willing to drop to £3500 as he says the sterio has a cd jammed in it and wont work but im sure it could be fixed with a bit of know how, and really i would want to get rid of the standard sterio for a double dinn LCD screened one. I am seriously considering it as with the extra grand i could buy a nice set of 18" rims and a new sterio and possibly have enough to fill the tank for the first of what img uessing will be many times!!

The only thing that captures me about the SE is the better stereo system but i have a nice sub waiting in my garage which i broght last year which could make up for the lesser speakers. The leather seats would be nice but given the emaculate condition of the interior it wouldnt other me that much. MY only gripe with the car is the standard allys are a bit skummy but ive been told thats a recurring problem with them and seen as they will be gettin flogged on ebay about 3 days after i buy em so thats no problem really. I am going to see a SE in the flesh before i make any decisions as i might sit inside and change my mind as i havent been inside one as of yet.

Any way thanks again for the fast and friendly replys i look forward to becoming a proud lexus owner very soon :)

Sunroof to on se and sport :D

£800 is a lot extra to spend on the SE when the S already has all of the important toys as standard. I don't think there's much, if any difference between the S and the SE stereo - yes I know there is supposed to be but you'd never notice it. It's only part-leather in the SE - the fabric in the S is much harder wearing and I think looks nicer than the alcantra in the SE.

thanks for the replys!!

have come to an aranement with the guy £3500 seems to be the cheapest ive seen, just done a hpi check and everyhing looks good so hopefuly tomorrow afternoon i'll be driving round in a lex!! I had a look on eBay and auto trader and theres not alot of choice for under 100k miles on the clock for under 4 grand so i feel im getting a good deal and i can go buy my flashy 18" 235 rims fully fitted for £550 fully fitted and everything from my local body works dealer who has been working on my dads car for the past few months and the sterio i can fit myself which is only £250 so i still have a bit of money to play with!! Oh let the spending begin!!

I know i may not look the meanest and most sophisticated on the road but i will truly feel like a king driving about after my 18 month relationship with my current vecrta that over heats every time u stop.

ps. Any one want to buy a beautiful looking gold 1.6 vauxhall vectra LS that never overheats!!??!! :whistling::innocent: haha.

thanks alot every1 for your help and i know ive kinda gone against nearly everyones advice but to hell with it i feel happy with my choice and cant wait to start driving it!!!!

thanks for the replys!!

have come to an aranement with the guy £3500 seems to be the cheapest ive seen, just done a hpi check and everyhing looks good so hopefuly tomorrow afternoon i'll be driving round in a lex!! I had a look on ebay and auto trader and theres not alot of choice for under 100k miles on the clock for under 4 grand so i feel im getting a good deal and i can go buy my flashy 18" 235 rims fully fitted for £550 fully fitted and everything from my local body works dealer who has been working on my dads car for the past few months and the sterio i can fit myself which is only £250 so i still have a bit of money to play with!! Oh let the spending begin!!

I know i may not look the meanest and most sophisticated on the road but i will truly feel like a king driving about after my 18 month relationship with my current vecrta that over heats every time u stop.

ps. Any one want to buy a beautiful looking gold 1.6 vauxhall vectra LS that never overheats!!??!! :whistling::innocent: haha.

thanks alot every1 for your help and i know ive kinda gone against nearly everyones advice but to hell with it i feel happy with my choice and cant wait to start driving it!!!!

Never herd of a beautiful looking gold 1.6 vauxhall vectra LS :lol:

thanks for the replys!!

have come to an aranement with the guy £3500 seems to be the cheapest ive seen, just done a hpi check and everyhing looks good so hopefuly tomorrow afternoon i'll be driving round in a lex!! I had a look on ebay and auto trader and theres not alot of choice for under 100k miles on the clock for under 4 grand so i feel im getting a good deal and i can go buy my flashy 18" 235 rims fully fitted for £550 fully fitted and everything from my local body works dealer who has been working on my dads car for the past few months and the sterio i can fit myself which is only £250 so i still have a bit of money to play with!! Oh let the spending begin!!

Never herd of a beautiful looking gold 1.6 vauxhall vectra LS :lol:

hehe i cant say i will be sad to see it go but it got the job done while i was a bit skint :P.

Will post some pics later on when i get it have spoken to my man about some wheels and he sugested 18" fatter on the back so anybody know what the maximum width would be on the back, im also gunna eventualy get it lowered 30mm so that would have to be taken into consideration.

Off out now to get a sterio got my eye on a pioneer one that has Bluetooth and changes colour to match the orange clocks wish me luck!! shud have the car about 5 so i'll post some pics after then :)

edit: found this http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=637

so not to worry about the wheel sizes seems 245/255 wud be ok on the back with a 30mm drop so thats good :)

Off out now to get a sterio got my eye on a pioneer one that has bluetooth and changes colour to match the orange clocks wish me luck!! shud have the car about 5 so i'll post some pics after then :)

If it's the same one i looked at, its ok for Bluetooth calling, but won't do music streeming (from mp3 player on phone/laptop). That's why i went for the Bluetooth music streeming one from Sony, which seems to have more/better features!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links