Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Best Unleaded For The Is?

Just curious if anyone has found a particular "brand" e.g. Shell, BP, Esso, supermarket of Unleaded to be optimal for the IS' engine; also if Super Unleaded (with a higher RON) is really worth the money?

The (standard) IS is hardly a supercar so I doubt there's _that_ much difference?

Just curious if anyone has found a particular "brand" e.g. Shell, BP, Esso, supermarket of Unleaded to be optimal for the IS' engine; also if Super Unleaded (with a higher RON) is really worth the money?

The (standard) IS is hardly a supercar so I doubt there's _that_ much difference?

Well about the "power fuels"

fuels like Ultimate from BP and Vpower from Shell doesnt make it any faster, but it does help to keep the engine clean, normal fuel rests keep sticking at several points which decrease performance slighty over time, so it will stay closer to its original horsepower spec with those fuels.

Better to call em cleaner fuels than power fuels....

Well about the "power fuels"

fuels like Ultimate from BP and Vpower from Shell doesnt make it any faster, but it does help to keep the engine clean, normal fuel rests keep sticking at several points which decrease performance slighty over time, so it will stay closer to its original horsepower spec with those fuels.

Better to call em cleaner fuels than power fuels....

I thought that the higher RON produced can produce more power, but only from a performace engine.

Thats what i got from an old episode of Fith Gear anyway. They dyno'd a clio, no difference, dyno'd a new scooby, couple of bhp gained.

I've been running on V-Power for the last few months, and I've noticed quite a difference. It's a tiny bit more powerful, is giving better fuel economy, and the biggest difference of all is how smooth the engine is running. I'm not talking about a small difference either, it is a whole lot smoother. And it's not just the IS, we've tried it in the Prius, and the Z4 as well and they're all running much smoother and sounding much nicer.

Makes you wonder what's actually going on under the bonnet when using standard unleaded............

• Like 1

I use standard unleaded. I don't think the extra cost justifies the extra price.

It is supposed to give improved fuel econemy though. If it gives a little more power, you can travel at the same speed, while using less fuel!

It may cost more per litre, but does it cost more per mile? That's what you really need to think about.

And the answer is...........I don't know!

Someone must have done conclusive tests. I'm gonna ask google...

I use standard unleaded. I don't think the extra cost justifies the extra price.

It is supposed to give improved fuel econemy though. If it gives a little more power, you can travel at the same speed, while using less fuel!

It may cost more per litre, but does it cost more per mile? That's what you really need to think about.

And the answer is...........I don't know!

Someone must have done conclusive tests. I'm gonna ask google...

I used it for about 6 months last year, yes it did increase fuel economy - by about 1mpg urban and maybe 3mpg rural. However for the extra it cost me to put in the tank, standard unleaded was still cheaper. Not only that super round here now is about £1.18 give or take - a full 10p/litre more than standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Shell V Power is supposed to have a higher ron than the other "power" fuels i think

Standard = 95, Super = 97, V Power = 98-100 (notsure)

I don't notice any difference with the other premium fuels (ultrimate, exellium etc..) but i do with V-Power. As before it gives better mpg, smoother engine, and (maybe placebo) a tad more grunt to the engine.

I'll try it...

I have comprehensive stats for 95Ron fuel in terms of MPG, costs, mileage.....

So next week i'll fill up with the expensive stuff....

couple of questions though..

I've heard that it takes a couple of tanks before the differences take effect?

Would i need an ECU reset?

Also, which one shall I use? i have an Esso near by home, and a tesco up where I work.... any real differences?

I'll try it...

I have comprehensive stats for 95Ron fuel in terms of MPG, costs, mileage.....

So next week i'll fill up with the expensive stuff....

couple of questions though..

I've heard that it takes a couple of tanks before the differences take effect?

Would i need an ECU reset?

Also, which one shall I use? i have an Esso near by home, and a tesco up where I work.... any real differences?

You won't notice any real difference in the first couple of fill ups.

Doesn't need an ECU reset as the car will learn. It would learn faster with a reset but it can bugger the fuel economy right up for a couple of tanks whilst it's learning.

Tesco 99 tends to be quite popular.

well, im starting to think if its going to be worth it....

will most likely cost me about £5.40 extra per tank, when I think about it that way.. thats barely loose change in your pocket, but when you add it up over the weeks and document it, suddenly you feel as though you have to save costs! strange how the mind works! :P

Ill give it a bash anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used V power for the past 3 tanks and I havn't noticed any difference in economy (i'm guessing the ECU's still learning how to use the fuel properly?) but the drive feels alot smoother, and there seems to be a bit more power when I floor it.

I only ever put BP Ultimate in my LS. When your spending as much as me on petrol then a couple more pound doesn't seem to make much difference or not. As to weather I'm getting more power or not, I couldn't tell you to be honest. It makes me feel better though.

• 5 years later...

if you don't mind the little extra cost then shell v-power!

its better for your engine in long run, all types of conditions with all types of styles of driving.

don't expect a massive gain of power as these models are not made to the full potential for power.

put this fuel in a performance car, example a Lancer Evo, and you will know what I mean.

great fuel ! all praise - -