Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt / Low Idling

Hi guys, had my timing belt changed today at long last, Cost me £270 at an independant garage. It sounds much quieter now as it was in a really bad state. The mechanic said he had only ever once seen one in such a bad state :blush: The pretensioner was so loose the belt was slipping around and it had worn down to less than half its width :blush: !!!! There was a big pile of 'fluffy stuff' that was left from the belt which he had pulled out as well!!!! Was told I probably had a couple of weeks left max :shutit:

I still have a problem with the car idling really low(350rpm) :tsktsk: Any ideas? Also my front tyres have worn on the insides AGAIN :tsktsk: Think the potholes on my work route have got to my tracking!!!

Any help appreciated :whistling:

Cheers

Chris

Hi guys, had my timing belt changed today at long last, Cost me £270 at an independant garage. It sounds much quieter now as it was in a really bad state. The mechanic said he had only ever once seen one in such a bad state :blush: The pretensioner was so loose the belt was slipping around and it had worn down to less than half its width :blush: !!!! There was a big pile of 'fluffy stuff' that was left from the belt which he had pulled out as well!!!! Was told I probably had a couple of weeks left max :shutit:

I still have a problem with the car idling really low(350rpm) :tsktsk: Any ideas? Also my front tyres have worn on the insides AGAIN :tsktsk: Think the potholes on my work route have got to my tracking!!!

Any help appreciated :whistling:

Cheers

Chris

did you have the idling problem before you had the belt done?

have you asked the garage mecanic what the problem could be :)

Hi mate,

Might I ask how it sounded before you had it replaced? My car recently started making a sligth ticking noise, only heard inside the car or if you open the bonnet. Thanks

Hi, yeah I had the problem before the belt change, was hoping it could have been related :whistling: Mechanic says he will take a look when he does my service shortly. P.Linblom - it was like a ticking noise almost like tappets but seems much quieter now, can hardly hear the engine from inside now and its done 110k!!!!

Chris

Hi, yeah I had the problem before the belt change, was hoping it could have been related :whistling: Mechanic says he will take a look when he does my service shortly. P.Linblom - it was like a ticking noise almost like tappets but seems much quieter now, can hardly hear the engine from inside now and its done 110k!!!!

Chris

may be plugs,think they should be done every 60,000

did you have new water pump done with belt or was it ok ?

Chris the inner front tyre wear is a symptomatic problem with the geo settings on the IS200.

The Wheel In Motion centre will be opening soon, run by the guy that is commonly referred to

on this forum by hundreds of members as "The Dr."

Tony Bones re-wrote the geometry settup for the IS200 a few years ago when this problem reared it's ugly head.

A visit to the centre and a full geometry set up will cure your car of this problem. It's a drive to Chesham (nr london)you will never regret.

It will be opening sometime in April, the contact details are here

No didnt have the water pump done just the belts, pretensioner and pulley. Changed the plugs about 20k ago, they were recommended by a few members here :winky:

hopefully it will be sorted when you have your service :)

Hi DJ Wozza, Yeah I read a few posts about the Dr and the geo setup on IS200s. Seems to have come on me all of a sudden though, tyres used to wear a lot more evenly before, had ball joints changed recently so wondering if that has something to do with it. Would love a full setup by the Dr but its a long drive for me and funds dont permit at the moment LOL!!! How much am I looking at roughly??

Chris

We have had the same experience

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=48761

If one of the teeth on the crank pulley is damaged it will do exactly this.

We had a IS200 with this same problem, it run okish but had a tapping noise at low revs becuase it throws the timing out to about 25 degrees advance at idle, a new pulley fixed the problem fine, its about £47. Care should be taken replacing the pulley as the teeth are super sensitive.

Interestingly it was the badly worn belt that damaged the pulley. so there are alot of similarlarities here.

James