Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I went to a tranny shop they rebuilt my tranny. i got codes 63,67 no2 solenoid and od speed sensor, any ideas on where to buy a od speed sensor and how to install it also for all you 90-94 ls400 owners check out lexls.com awesome site.

Hi,

Sorry bit strange this,you went to the "tranny shop" and they rebuilt your transmission and after the rebuild you have fault codes and need parts? I would return to the shop that did the work incorrectly and tell them to sort it.

Hi,

Sorry bit strange this,you went to the "tranny shop" and they rebuilt your transmission and after the rebuild you have fault codes and need parts? I would return to the shop that did the work incorrectly and tell them to sort it.

I paid 3000usd to get it fixed as you know the lexus has a lot of computer parts, i talked to the shop they said it was a electrical problem (computer) they said if i replaced the cluster it would be fixed but that wasnt the case so now i have an extra cluster and the same problem. i talked to the owner of www.lexls.com and he said that he had the same problem and replacing the od sensor and the no.2 solenoid would be the solution i know that my solenoids are good but my o/d sensor is probably the colprut, it only shifts abnormal when the car reaches normal running tempature. so i beleive it would be the sensor is overheating or malfunctioning, the only problem is i dont know where exactly its located lexls.com said its located near the exhaust, and where do i buy a o/d sensor no one in auto parts knows and they look at me like im dumb when i ask them can i get a overdrive speed sensor for a 91 lexus ls400, probably because they are to busy ordering parts for dodges and chevys. lol

Hi,

The OD direct clutch speed sensor is located on the left front of the transmission unit but to get to it means removing the 2 oxygen sensors and the front exhaust pipe.

Before doing anything there is a very common fault on the LS400 which causes very strange effects possibly including yours.

Lift the trunk lid and look under the left hinge as there is a wiring loom passing along here, carefully remove the tape to expose the wires inside and check for broken or frayed wires,repair as required and retape.

This MAY sort out the other problems you have,worth looking 1st as it's cheap and easy.

Good luck.

Hi,

The OD direct clutch speed sensor is located on the left front of the transmission unit but to get to it means removing the 2 oxygen sensors and the front exhaust pipe.

Before doing anything there is a very common fault on the LS400 which causes very strange effects possibly including yours.

Lift the trunk lid and look under the left hinge as there is a wiring loom passing along here, carefully remove the tape to expose the wires inside and check for broken or frayed wires,repair as required and retape.

This MAY sort out the other problems you have,worth looking 1st as it's cheap and easy.

Good luck.

hey thanks ill try that i checked the wire loom but it seems in pretty good condition so i think its the od sensor but ill remove the tape and check it out, also your talking about the actual trunk that lifts up.

• 4 months later...
Hi,

I paid 3000usd to get it fixed as you know the lexus has a lot of computer parts, i talked to the shop they said it was a electrical problem (computer) they said if i replaced the cluster it would be fixed but that wasnt the case so now i have an extra cluster and the same problem. i talked to the owner of www.lexls.com and he said that he had the same problem and replacing the od sensor and the no.2 solenoid would be the solution i know that my solenoids are good but my o/d sensor is probably the colprut, it only shifts abnormal when the car reaches normal running tempature. so i beleive it would be the sensor is overheating or malfunctioning, the only problem is i dont know where exactly its located lexls.com said its located near the exhaust, and where do i buy a o/d sensor no one in auto parts knows and they look at me like im dumb when i ask them can i get a overdrive speed sensor for a 91 lexus ls400, probably because they are to busy ordering parts for dodges and chevys. lol

I have the identical problem. Has anyone solved this problem. Mine also only shifts abnormal when the car reaches normal running temperature. I noticed it helps to manually shift to 2nd when driving below 20 mph. AAMCO wants to rebuild my transmission for $2500, but it sounds like that may not fix the problem. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Update 02/03/2010: Well I appreciate everyone’s quick response as I have not heard anything in over a year. But to answer my own question if anyone else has a similar problem, I replaced the #2 solenoid and the problem was solved. After I removed the old solenoid, I tested it, and it only failed when I heated it up, but worked at room temperature. That explains why the transmission worked fine when it was cold and misbehaved at full running temperature. Also keep in mind that when the #2 solenoid fails it apparently affects the Over Drive (OD). Therefore, when you get a 63 error code (#2 solenoid), you will almost always get the 67 error code with it (OD speed sensor). This fault is false. I did not replace the OD speed sensor as I figured it out prior to doing the work. The #2 solenoid is actually easy to replace if you have the ability to remove the transmission pan. Once the pan is off, the #1 and #2 solenoids are exposed and held on with one bolt. You don't even have to remove the filter as some have said. I bought both solenoids from Oregon Performance Transmission for $143 delivered. They only come in pairs and are on one bracket. Once the pan is removed, it is very easy to swap out the solenoids. The hardest part is getting the pan back on without leaks. Just get the neoprene gasket from NAPA auto parts for $3, clean the surfaces and torque the bolts to the 65 in-lbs. (very important to use a torque wrench) My older than crap LS400 now works perfectly!

Also, the wires running through the trunk have nothing to do with the transmission so don't bother going on that lame wild goose chase. I'm sure who ever suggested to look at the trunk wires meant well, but please, if you don't know, keep the lame advice to yourself.

P.S. AAMCO in Las Vegas, 5710 Boulder Hwy, Las Vegas, NV 89122 are the biggest rip-offs. When they gave me a free inspection, they claimed I needed the transmission rebuilt. They pulled the pan and told me that the transmission was all "gunked up" and was not repairable. They even read the error codes that told them to replace the solenoid, but they said by looking at the transmission, it was totaled. When I pulled the pan myself, the transmission was immaculate. It was so clean that the filter didn't even have any residue or particles in it. The magnets were slightly covered with black grime, but that's to be expected as they are suppose pick up any small metallic particles suspended in the fluid. After AAMCO couldn't talk me into leaving the car for the repair, they used a wire brush to remove pieces of gasket from the old pan. They tatally scratched the surface making it hard to get a seal when I repaired it. They used orange RTV to seal the pan (RTV is a big no no with transmissions as transmission fluid eats it away resulting in leaks over time and also can harm the sensors in the transmission) My transmission leaked after they hacked it up. They also used some dirty container for the fluid they drained from my car and put the old cantaminated fluid back in. AAMCO is a criminal organization and should be put out of business. They lied to me and tried to stiff me with a $2500 bill. They were probably going to replace the solenoid and claim they rebuilt the whole tranny. They belong behind bars! Just another AAMCO complaint you can add to the thousands listed on the internet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links