Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clay Bars

Hi, I'm new to LOC but have had my LS400 (Black) for 20 months. I usually clean it with car wax and polish it Turtle Wax and thought it looked pretty good as a result.I've been looking at the pics of other members cars and realise that my car looks shabby compared to them so, I've been reading a bit about clay bars but don't know how to use the stuff or wether it would worth doing it on my car. My bonnet has swirls and scratches on it, would clay make any difference? A tutorial from one of you experts would be really appreciated. Paul

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have a look at the guides in cleanyourcar.co.uk a great site with a good forum plus lots of info from very experienced people. Be warned the array of products available will blow your mind but basically for a car with paint work in good condition it is :-

Wash & Rinse

clay

Wash & Rinse

Seal

Wax

Then admire the many hours work you have spent making your car look ace.

Merv

clay bar remove all bonded particles that feel rough on your paintwork.for the swirl marks you need polish and a dual action polisher,visit autopia web site in the know how section,there you will find more information than you can wave a stick at.

clay makes a huge difference and makes the paint feel very sooth - it will not remove swirls etc.

i prefer the poorboys clay as its easier to use than the megs clay and is less work as the poorboys is bit move aggressive - it doesnt damage the paint/clearcoat in any way.

clay kits

no clay kits listed though....unless i'm being blind

lots of clay kits at link attached. I have dealt with these people and received a very good service.

Lhttp://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-products-protect.htm

quick question guys:

just gave the car a quick wash and used aquawax on it (auto glym). the paint feels a little rough and not as glass like as it used to.

i take it a clay bar session would sort that out??

do i need to do anything to remove the aquawax coating or just get busy with the megs clay kit i have?? and then finish off with a sealant glaze??

cheers

rob

quick question guys:

just gave the car a quick wash and used aquawax on it (auto glym). the paint feels a little rough and not as glass like as it used to.

i take it a clay bar session would sort that out??

do i need to do anything to remove the aquawax coating or just get busy with the megs clay kit i have?? and then finish off with a sealant glaze??

cheers

rob

clay bar will remove wax but i would still use a paint cleaner before sealing.

so clay car, then apply paint cleaner?? then wash, then use paintwork sealant and glaze??

no,clay car, then paint cleaner,no wash,then glaze and finally sealant.if you put sealant on before glaze,the glaze will strip the sealant because it is a polish.

i have:

megs gold class shampoo and conditioner

megs clay bar kit

Carplan nanomeric paintwork seal and protect

what else would i need to do it the best way? and what order do i need to use them in (assuming i've just washed and chamois'd the car)

i presume the carplan paintwork seal and protect is a sealant??

i have:

megs clay bar kit

what else would i need to do it the best way? and what order do i need to use them in (assuming i've just washed and chamois'd the car)

do you need yo remove any swirl marks.

i have:

megs clay bar kit

since you're not worried about the swirls and assuming that you don't have a random orbital polisher then i would wash in the normal way,rinse,clay,rinseagain,now use paint cleaner,then glaze if you have it and carplan paint sealant.i have not used carplan myself,but i did google it and it does look like a sealant.

what other easy to use and cheapish sealants would u reccomend??

when u say wash and rinse.....i presume i have to chamois dry before claying etc??

don't need to dry befoe clay,just dry before paint clean.i use carlack, see my posts on respray on my is 250.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links