Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stone Chip City

OK bit of help here, just got my 2003 IS200 LE and covered about 800 miles, mostly motorway and to get a good view on fuel economy I have stuck roughly to the speed limit. :whistling:

But now the front grille looks like I've taken a shot gun to it. Not helped by the fact that under the metallic black paint of the grille is what looks like shiny silver chrome which picks out the stone chips beautifully in the sunlight. :huh:

I'm thinking of gettng chips away in the touch it up but given that it as reached this state in just a couple of weeks, is this a waste of time?

Is it just me or does the IS200 have a stone magnet built in?

Is there another solution? has anyone developed a replacement grille that you have seen or used that is a bit more chip resistant?

Many thanks

Thanks for the reply Gord. :D

Is that £35 from a Lexus dealer or is that an after market part and if so where from?

Does anyone else know of a replacement grill made of a more chip resistant material?

By the way the easier to fit the better as I am not mechanically skilled by any means.

Cheers

£35 from the Dealers mate for a sports grill. Painted!

Stav

Does the sport grill make the car look sexier ?

Most people think so!

The standard sport grill oviously has a "L" badge on it, but I have removed this as i feel it looks meaner! The grill is easily removed, just pop the bonnet and have a look, only a small amount of common sense required!

16122007136.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

Just picked up a couple of chips on my bonnet - not happy! :crying:

OK bit of help here, just got my 2003 IS200 LE and covered about 800 miles, mostly motorway and to get a good view on fuel economy I have stuck roughly to the speed limit. :whistling:

But now the front grille looks like I've taken a shot gun to it. Not helped by the fact that under the metallic black paint of the grille is what looks like shiny silver chrome which picks out the stone chips beautifully in the sunlight. :huh:

I'm thinking of gettng chips away in the touch it up but given that it as reached this state in just a couple of weeks, is this a waste of time?

Is it just me or does the IS200 have a stone magnet built in?

Is there another solution? has anyone developed a replacement grille that you have seen or used that is a bit more chip resistant?

Many thanks

s'funny - there's something about the LE grille. I looked at a few LE's before going for my 300 and everyone of them had grille's that looked like they had been shot with pellets - must be poor paint.

As others have mentioned you can get a sports grille from dealers for £35 but if your IS is an unusual colour (e.g. Kodiak Sky) then you'll need to get it painted yourself.

The grille's come out very easily - might be worth taking yours out and masking the badge etc then giving a good spray yourself - probably the cheapest option.

Thanks for all the replies. :D

Pictures of the sport grill look great, and would be the ideal option if available in the right colour.

My LE is in Kodiak Sky so colour could be an issue.

Anyone seen any other after market options?

Cheers Everyone.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links