Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting Up New Is220d

Dex

I have a brand new lexus is 220d se and I have had some issues when I start the car up.

The engine ticks over but it doesnt fire up? it takes maybe 5 seconds turning over before catching.

I have read the manual and I am still not clear.

I get into position in the sit, put gear into N, then depress clutch until light turns to green, the press start-stop switch once. Is this correct for the diesel?

I have tried, putting gear into N, pressing start-stop switch once, into acc mode, then again, wiating for check and other lights to come on, and then depressing clutch and pushing green stop-start switch - same thing happens.

Does the diesel need to warm up?

How do you start your IS?

Thanks,

Dec

should just need to keep the foot on the clutch right down hard... keep foot on the clutch then press the start button when acc lights up then press again while whole the clutch pedal down hard

• 6 months later...
should just need to keep the foot on the clutch right down hard... keep foot on the clutch then press the start button when acc lights up then press again while whole the clutch pedal down hard

I have had the same problem during the past 2 frosty mornings

So how many times do you press the start button once or twice or 3 times?

1st time to get the streering wheel to lower?

2nd time to get the ingnition lights etc to illuminate? both times with foot OFF clutch pedal???

3rd time wait a few secs press clutch in and press start button??

Really nead some advice as my wife is giving me hell regarding the starting probs (only when weather cold no probs when weather ok)

Also, pardon me as i am a newby, mine is a 57 plate whats all this about a recall??

cheers

arthur

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dec,

I have the same problem.

I took it back to the dealer 3 times now. Still no solution.

Does yours work in the meanwhile?

*EDIT* by the way, I owned an IS220d before, which never had this problem at all.

Regards,

Yve

I have a brand new lexus is 220d se and I have had some issues when I start the car up.

The engine ticks over but it doesnt fire up? it takes maybe 5 seconds turning over before catching.

I get into position in the sit, put gear into N, then depress clutch until light turns to green, the press start-stop switch once. Is this correct for the diesel?

I have tried, putting gear into N, pressing start-stop switch once, into acc mode, then again, wiating for check and other lights to come on, and then depressing clutch and pushing green stop-start switch - same thing happens.

Thanks,

Dec

Hi Dec,

I have the same problem.

I took it back to the dealer 3 times now. Still no solution.

Does yours work in the meanwhile?

*EDIT* by the way, I owned an IS220d before, which never had this problem at all.

Regards,

Yve

Thanks,

Dec

It is not clear whether you have the automatic or the manual gearbox. "N" refers to the Auto... Leave it in park, keep your foot on the brake and then press the start button.

If you have the manual, keep it in neutral, depress the clutch fully until the green light comes on, press the start button and wait for a few seconds. The system does a diagnostic check, warms up the glow plugs then statrs the engine. This si what my IS220D sport does anyway. I know about the auto as they lent me one whilst mine was having an injector changew under warranty.

Don't expect marvelous fuel economy unless you do long runs. Using it for short runs you will be lucky to get 30-32mpg as it keeps the idling speed high to burn off the particulates in the catalyst until it is thoroughly warmed up. If you use it for short runs, give it a good blast at least once a week to stop the injectors from fouling up.

Enjoy, once you get used to all the high-tech tricks!!

Regards

Ray

I've had a couple of occasions where it's taken a few seconds of turning over for the engine to fire up but mainly cold mornings - it hasn't happened frequently enough to cause me any great worry. I just push in the clutch & push the button. If it's very cold then there's a few seconds delay after pushing start before the starter turns the engine; I assume that's when the glow plugs are heating up.

I've had a couple of occasions where it's taken a few seconds of turning over for the engine to fire up but mainly cold mornings - it hasn't happened frequently enough to cause me any great worry. I just push in the clutch & push the button. If it's very cold then there's a few seconds delay after pushing start before the starter turns the engine; I assume that's when the glow plugs are heating up.

Thats exactly it mate. My old SAAB diesel had a light on the dash like a coil of wire and you had to wait until it went out before you cranked the engine over. If you anticipated, it would sometimes start but if it was really cold....forget it!! You just had to be patient, sometimes, -10C or below it took a couple of minutes, that was when I lived in Germany. winter sometimes got down to -20C.

Regards

Ray

Same with mine on cold mornings - seems to me to be normal - Perfectly ok with no delay when re-starting after it's had chance to warm up

• 2 weeks later...

My IS 220D is having the same cold start problems as mentioned.

The car is brand new - Oct 2008 and the problem has been in existance virtually since I picked up the car from the dealer.

I thought this problem had been solved in a recall during 2007.

My gealer has admitted that they have had other customers with the same problem and says he is looking into it.

Can anyone suggest what to do

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links