Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Audio Advice

Hi!! been very busy at work hardly had any time to spend with my car i will upload the pics soooon!! Its nothing spectacular to look at right now thought just your standard everyday IS200 in silver so im sure u can imagene what it looks like!!.

Ive just been payed and my next mission is to get a sub in the boot. I got my old head unit in there front for now and hanks to the guy that made that tutorial on the adapter for a normal head unit it come in very handy and looks so much better than the bobbely plastic finihs that it originaly came with so thanks alot!!!

Right so onto the sub. Im not after any £2k sound system allo im after right now is just a sub for my boot just to give a bit of extra bass i got about £200 to spend but can go over as i have a bit saved away still for my wheels that i dont mind eating into but not too much. Im looking for an active sub and have seen a few in Halfords for around the £200 mark but they claim to be "1600 watts!!!!" but im sure the max output is not the thing you look for when looking at subs right?? I just need some tips on what to look for and what brands to stear clear of. Its a bit confusing when you see a sub with a full wiring kit for £179.99 thats only 200watts output and then above that see an active sub that is claiming to be 1200 watts for £20 more.. why would you want 200watts when you can get 1200 for an extra £20.

It just got me a bit suspisious and im not really up on ICE/AV stuff im more knowlageable about computers than sterios. So if you guys/gals could give me a few pointers on what to look for or maybe an example of a decent bit of kit i can get for my budget i would be really grateful!!! Remember im not after a killer sound system just a nice bit of bass in my boot preferable an active sub cuz i do have a buggy going in and out of my car all the time so amps strapped to the floor would not be practical.

Thanks in advance if u need any more info just ask and i'll try to enlighten you!! :)

thanks to the guy that made that tutorial on the adapter for a normal head unit it come in very handy and looks so much better than the bobbely plastic finish that it originaly came with so thanks alot !!!

I think that was me if you are referring to the modified Autoleads facia post.

BroditPhoneHolder.jpg

To run a sub into the boot isn't too tough on an IS200. Power leads run down inside the passenger sill,

if you are running a subwoofer phono from your head unit, it can go down here too. Some will say it

should go down the other side, but as you are not spending mega bucks on your install it should really

be fine so long as the cable quality is good and your earths are good also......

If not you can use a hi-level to RCA Phono convertor or an active sub that can take a hi-level input, and

take a feed from the rear shelf 6x9's. Remember to fix the Box in place with straps etc as its big & heavy

and you can damage it, and it can damage lots of stuff in your boot too.

To help with Bass getting into the cabin, I do suggest unbolting the ski-hatch from the rear seat.

8 bolts to undo (once the seat back is off so 12 in total) and you can always put it back when you sell the car.

With regards to active Subs, The Vibe range are good value, and have a good sounds in your price range.

Have a look at the single 10" (slightly punchier) or single 12" (more rounded lower bass) VIBE CBR EVO ACTIVE SUB range.

I prefer no to use the Fli-Trap range as they are the budget brand of Vibe, and IMO you need 2 fli-Trap 12's

to compete with 1 of the Vibe CBR12's. It's only my opinion, & yours may differ.

The Vibe CBR range are within budget and are available on E-Bay with P+P & wiring kit thrown in by 2 sellers :yahoo: .

(320237391296 + 330226516416) Print these pages out, reason why to follow.

Remember this info as it is a good bargaining tool for bartering prices as the P+P is free also, & some places will want to charge you

up to £30 for an 8 gauge wiring kit.

If you can go to a high street car stereo dealer who stocks them, you will be able to have a listen, also you should

take your favourite cd's with you so your new sub will agree with your taste in music.

Then just barter like mad for the best price. Believe me they will barter, and if not plenty of online places will have good

prices once you have decided on exactly what you want.

Here is where you show them the deal you can get with your printouts including 8 Gauge wiring installation kit P+P :D

Anything else you need matey just holler.

Woz

EDIT*****

Cheers Stav & Gord, I was writing this reply, took a bit of time........

Thanks so much the 12" 1600 watt Vibe CBR was the one i was looking at. I went to my local independant AV shop and he was trying to sell me a pioneer 1000watt with a apline amp for £350 fitted but he said the sub was £130 and the amp £100 and said he would do the leads for £30 so how does this add up to £350??

I would rather trust your advice as your not trying to make a profit out of me and by the sound of that guy trying to make a mug out of me aswell!! I think im jsut gunna go buy it now im still not sure to go for the big one or the small one the music i listen to is big on heavy basslines so perhaps the bigger one will be the way to go. I have already had the ski hatch off and took the plastic suround off to make sure it would all fit in ok. This definatly seems the way to go though thanks alot for all the advice on fitting it, its gunna be a learning curve for me too as im fitting it myself and havent done it before!! My dads gunna watch over me as he knows what hes doing with it but i said i wanna do it myself.

Thanks alot i'll let you know how i get on!!

Ross

edit: just noticed the eBay numbers thats alot better than Halfords!! thanks so much im in your debt

also i live really close to northhampton so off down there to pick one up!!

I agree with Wozza. For that money you cant beat Vibe active boxs. Ive had a CBR Active 12 in my first car and it was great.

If i were you, id stretch ure budget a little and go for the Vibe sq12 active. link £250. Ive had one of these too! it's in a compact box so takes up less space, but cant half boom! The space driver should be capable of 1000w rms and peaking at a ear drum splitting 3000w! It can be turned down if you dont need all the power, but turned up if you expand your system and need the extra power. the cone excursion on these subs is massive and the sound quality is pretty good at any level.

hey!!

just got back from northhampton the guy was really really nice. He is very big on "earthquake" equipment and offered me a full install with componant speakers 2 12" subs and a 5 channel amp with the 5th channel and a digital mono channel but i told him my budget and he said really for the money i cant go wrong with the vibe. I went for the 12" one and i got a really good deal it ended up costing £180 for the sub and the wiring kit and aparently 8-guage is good....like i said im really not up on all this yet!! Really i must give a big shout out to wozza for the pointer im very appreceative man so big up!! Gunna go fit it now will let u know how it sounds!!

Thanks alot for all the advice your a really nice bunch of people some times on these forums u get ppl tackeling youfrom your first post with "use the search function" or the grammar police but ive asked a few questions and had nothing but positive replys so thanks alot it really makes u feel welcome!!

For anyone interested heres the adress of the guy i broght it from he has alittle shop down northhampton high street and is a genuinely nice guy.

349 WELLINGBOROUGH ROAD, NORTHAMPTON, NN1 4ER

01604 601500

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links