Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Love My Lexus Is 250 But............

kerrso05

Hi there

I am from Northern Ireland and bought a Lexus IS 250 (Automatic) last year from Lexus Edinburgh. Thoroughly enjoy driving the Lexus (as I had previously bought Audi A4 but decided this time I needed a change) The car is a 'head turner'

Unfortunately I have had a couple of problems with it and I was wondering were these common problems:-

1 Alloy Wheels, the lacquer has started to lift and bubble and may be beginning to rust. I have reported the problem to Lexus - Belfast (Charles Hurst Ltd) and they immediately put my mind at rest and said that they would order up four new replacement alloys. Which is FANTASTIC Customer Service (I am so used to bad Customer Service, I had taken photos of the faults and was ready for a fight..but no they said it wasn't a problem getting new alloys for the car)

Is this a common problem? and if it is, has Lexus addressed the issue and sorted out the problem......will the new alloys not do this?

2 A Rattle from the Dashboard (around the central speaker) It appears that there is a problem with a clip which holds the said speaker in place. Seemingly Lexus has modified this clip. Again Lexus Belfast has arranged for the car to be brought into them for the dashboard to be stripped and the offending clip removed and replaced and hopefully the rattle will disappear. Is this a common Problem?

3 Petrol consumption isn't great, with an average of 27/28mpg. Is this to be expected or will this improve? At the moment I have about 12,000 miles on the clock with mostly town driving. (the Audi A4 would have an average of 33/34mpg

4 I haven't had to Pay Vehicle Road Tax yet as Lexus Edinburgh paid the first year but am I in for a nasty surprise.......is it £400

Even with the above problems I do enjoy driving my Lexus.......it is a beautiful car

6qk6mv.jpg

Harry

Let me try and answer some of your q's:

1. Common problem with all Lexus/Toyota cars. I have an IS200 and mine were replaced FOC by my local dealer whlist the car was under warranty. Basically, the coating that is put onto Lexus/Toyota alloys doesn't stand up well to grit and salt which are put onto UK/Ireland roads in the winter months.

2. Read the IS250/200 topics and threads, seems to be a common problem with the early cars.

3. Petrol consumption may improve; all depends on your driving style, the types of roads you drive on (motorways/dual carriage ways etc), petrol consumption may also be affect by tyre pressures?

4. I believe so, I'd check the VED website or Parkers website if I was you.

Thanks Kam05, so are you saying that Lexus haven't resolved the problem of the alloys Blistering? That this could happen again with the new set? If so is there anything that I can do to stop it eg. put a wax covering over the wheels etc

If there is nothing I can do then surely this is a serious problem for Lexus and they should address it. As I previously said I have driven Audi's and I have never come across this problem of Alloy's Blistering..........maybe Lexus need to source their alloys from a different manufacturer

The alloys bubbling up isn't just on Lexus/Toyota vehicles, i have heard of other manufacturers having similar problems, the only difference is Lexus are willing to do something about it under warranty.

Yes I would agree with you that Lexus are willing to deal with the problem. I mean they didn't quibble about replacing all four wheels even though one wheel didn't seem to have any problems. Which is GREAT for me and while I am within my warranty period I will have total peace of mind. From other discussions on here about this problem some people have replaced their alloys three or four times................wow!! what a waste of money.

What I feel is that if Lexus have this problem of alloys bubbling then surely it is a major manufacturing defect that should be addressed. I have had 6 Audis and have never had this problem and before that I had 8 Volkswagen's (various models) and again I have never seen or heard of this problem. So it appears that the Audi Volkswagen Group have got the problem sussed why can't Lexus? I would agree with you that there are probably other companies that have this problem but I'm sure they are inferior products compared to the prestige company of Lexus. Lexus are no "two bit" company but deal in a quality brand but if it's true what you are implying that they haven't got this problem sorted then I feel their reputation, will quickly go down the pan.........well that's my personal opinion.

6qk6mv.jpg

Hello there, cars looking really nice.

I believe the problems you have had are all common. Although i had thought that the new wheels may be slightly more resiliant, as for the petrol consumption .... that is lexus i'm afraid.

I hope that these minor problems do not detract from your overall pleasure of your new car.

I know the problem with the 1st generation IS alloy wheels was that the alloy was to soft for this country`s salt and crap in winter compared to japan thats why the alloys blister...

a good way to stop the wheels getting clogged up with brake dust and corrosion problem is to use good old house hold furniture polish just spray on a cloth or ragg and polish the wheels up ( dont put straight on the alloys as you may get some on brake disc`s :shutit: )

this seems to help the problem for me. :)

I know the problem with the 1st generation IS alloy wheels was that the alloy was to soft for this country`s salt and crap in winter compared to japan thats why the alloys blister...

a good way to stop the wheels getting clogged up with brake dust and corrosion problem is to use good old house hold furniture polish just spray on a cloth or ragg and polish the wheels up ( dont put straight on the alloys as you may get some on brake disc`s :shutit: )

this seems to help the problem for me. :)

Thanks for your suggestion regarding Furniture Polish.....I certainly will try that suggestion. In the past I have tried Alloy Wheel Waxes with my Audi Wheels......they have worked but they tend to be difficult to buff up to a shine......not the easiest to put on without touching marking the rubber wheel....the furniture polish should be easier to use and cheaper.

What do you mean "1st Generation IS alloy wheels"..........as you can see from the photograph I have provided I have the newish version of the IS. Do you mean the 1st release of the new shaped IS? if you do then the new replacement alloys should rectify this problem......well lets hope it does.

On a side issue I showed this problem to a Mercedes Dealer friend and his reaction was one of shock and amazement that Lexus had let this problem continue. He said that he would be surprised if the replacement alloys would go the same way........(I didn't tell him that some people on this forum were on their fourth issue of replacements)........obviously another German marque doesn't have this problem

6qk6mv.jpg

I must agree, she looks STUNNING.........even with the bubbling alloys........as soon as I get the new alloys I will take another picture

Hi there

I am from Northern Ireland and bought a Lexus IS 250 (Automatic) last year from Lexus Edinburgh. Thoroughly enjoy driving the Lexus (as I had previously bought Audi A4 but decided this time I needed a change) The car is a 'head turner'

Unfortunately I have had a couple of problems with it and I was wondering were these common problems:-

1 Alloy Wheels, the lacquer has started to lift and bubble and may be beginning to rust. I have reported the problem to Lexus - Belfast (Charles Hurst Ltd) and they immediately put my mind at rest and said that they would order up four new replacement Alloys. Which is FANTASTIC Customer Service (I am so used to bad Customer Service, I had taken photos of the faults and was ready for a fight..but no they said it wasn't a problem getting new Alloys for the car)

Is this a common problem? and if it is, has Lexus addressed the issue and sorted out the problem......will the new Alloys not do this?

2 A Rattle from the Dashboard (around the central speaker) It appears that there is a problem with a clip which holds the said speaker in place. Seemingly Lexus has modified this clip. Again Lexus Belfast has arranged for the car to be brought into them for the dashboard to be stripped and the offending clip removed and replaced and hopefully the rattle will disappear. Is this a common Problem?

3 Petrol consumption isn't great, with an average of 27/28mpg. Is this to be expected or will this improve? At the moment I have about 12,000 miles on the clock with mostly town driving. (the Audi A4 would have an average of 33/34mpg

4 I haven't had to Pay Vehicle Road Tax yet as Lexus Edinburgh paid the first year but am I in for a nasty surprise.......is it £400

Even with the above problems I do enjoy driving my Lexus.......it is a beautiful car

6qk6mv.jpg

Harry

I is250 sport manual, 56 plate, I had problem with speaker, I was going to put a spot of super glue just under the edge of the speaker that would have done it but have just changed to an is-f, as for the alloys I had just a slight blemish on one wheel no problem to change but again I changed the car, petrol consumption about 32 mpg, as you say a fantastic car.

Nice looking car mate, but I don't agree about the corrosion issue with other cars. We've had an Audi, a BMW and a Mercedes all have corroding alloys just like my Lexus did (the BMW is by far the worst) but unlike Lexus who replaced the lot with no quibble, the others won't replace them, claiming that corrosion is caused by general wear and tear and is therefore not a warranty issue.

If your alloys were fine on other cars, you've been lucky, but in this country all alloys seem to suffer a little, next time my brother's about I'll take a pic of the ones on the BMW just to show you how badly they corrode.............

Hooray, Lexus Belfast (Charles Hurst Ltd) are fantastic.....especially William Mawhinney (Service Manager) 10 out of 10 for everything. William said that if I brought the car to them early about 9 o'clock on Monday Morning they would have the alloys replaced and the dashboard removed and the offending speaker clip replaced and everything put back for about 2.30pm.

So with the sun blazing the morning sky, I headed to Belfast. Held up by the usual unexpected road works, I arrived slightly late at Lexus Belfast at about 9.15am to be greeted, by a smiling William, saying that he had the replacement alloys and modified Dashboard clip.

I handed over the keys and was asked if I needed a lift to the Centre of Belfast.

While waiting, for the lift (all of 2 minutes wait time) I overheard another customer (who was in getting his 10,000 mile service on his IS sport) saying that he had a problem with a rattle in the dashboard. I had a small chuckle to myself, feeling I wasn't the only one with this flaw.

While being driven in the courtesy Lexus car to Belfast City Centre I was able enter into conversation with this customer to inform him that he wasn't the only one with this rattling dashboard, that mine also had this problem and that it was having a modified speaker clip inserted and new alloys fitted. "Why" the amazed customer replied and I told him of the corroding alloys. To which he retorted "My goodness..........I also have that problem.......I had washed the car last week and saw that bubbling.....I didn't know what it was............I'm going to ring them now"

We carried on our journey to Belfast while a very annoyed customer rang Lexus to inform them that he also had corroding alloys and he wanted them to look at it.

The rest of the day was taken up with a quick tour of our new Victoria Square (Shopping Complex) in the centre of Belfast (and if you ever get a chance to visit our beautiful wee Province.....then visit this (very expensive) domed complex. Then I and a friend drove to the picturesque and historical Village of Hillsborough (about 20 miles outside Belfast), were we had a leisurely walk around the Forest Park Lake, fed a few royal swans.

About 12.30 we went to a local pub/restaurant and had lunch. After fed and watered we drove back to Lexus Belfast and arrived about 2.15pm. About 15 minutes later William came and apologized for keeping me but they had been washing the car.

So what do you think of that for Service?...............SUPERB or what.

They said the car would be ready for 2.30pm and it was. Great weather, Great Service and a great result.

PS. the car looks like new (with the new Alloys) and no sign of a rattle. Thanks Lexus Belfast......I still LOVE my Lexus

Glad you got it sorted, and I'm pleased that Lexus customer service is still alive and well (after reading some of the posts on here wasn't sure if it was a dying breed).

And to be fair, the second set of alloys I had on my IS200 never corroded after that and they're still fine 4 years later so hopefully they'll be fine from now on. Try putting some wheel wax on them though while they're still nice and new and that'll help keep them looking like that :)

Sorry I forgot to say, I checked with William Mawhinney, Service Manager, from Lexus, Belfast regarding the cost of Road Tax for my Lexus IS 250se Automatic and he advised me that it should be £210...............still high but not as high as I originally thought (which was £400)

So all told, I think I had a great day on Monday with a great result.............what do you think?

PS. What Alloy Wheel Wax would you recommend? I have tried the Furniture Polish, which another contributor on this thread suggested.......it certainly was easy to put on but I would question its effectiveness........time will tell. In the past I have tried different Alloy Wheel Waxes and I have found them difficult to apply and buff up without leaving a white residue/mark on the Tyre itself. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

1z556c4.jpg

dyvr6b.jpg

iwlumb.jpg

hi there. nice car n color :)

i've been using Alloy Wax from Lap-tab (http://www.lap-tab.co.uk/wax.php) ever since ive owned a lexus (only 2 years lol) but havent had problems with alloys. think its the same as http://www.alloywheelwax.com. good luck!

Is it possible to get either of these products from Halfords or do they have to be ordered online? I'd like to get something on my wheels asap!

OK here are more pictures of my Lexus with new Alloys:-

28st15l.jpg

and inside

10cvwpu.jpg

Thanks again for the suggestion of the Alloy Wheel Wax

Nice looking car mate glad got all your little niggles sorted out....soz about the alloys...ive got the 1st generation IS and they had the same problem corrosion/bubbleing up Lexus replaced them no problem ....ive used the furiture polish and have not had the problem since just spray on the alloys and because its a lacquer it justs protects it a bit better and well its a cheap alternative to waxes...i believe also the reason they corrode/bubble is because they are diamond cut and the salt/road crap get`s under the thin top lacquer on the wheels....

• 2 weeks later...
hi there. nice car n color :)

i've been using Alloy Wax from Lap-tab (http://www.lap-tab.co.uk/wax.php) ever since ive owned a lexus (only 2 years lol) but havent had problems with alloys. think its the same as http://www.alloywheelwax.com. good luck!

Is it possible to get either of these products from Halfords or do they have to be ordered online? I'd like to get something on my wheels asap!

ordered online. i believe Halfords will sell similar products from different makes..like turtlewax/mers etc. the best i've used so far is the one i suggested above. another one i've used is "Muc-Off Silica Wheel seal" which also had a high rating in this weeks auto-express.

• 2 years later...

OK Guys

Here I am again and the same problem has happened.......the nigglely problem of the alloys bubbling up and corroding. Yes these are the ones that were replaced.....but it has happened again. The only problem now is that the 3 years warranty is up. Does anyone know how I can contact Lexus direct either by phone or Email to explain about this problem that has been recurring. As I have said many times before I am happy with my Lexus except this problem of the corroding alloys.......................I never had a problem like this with my previous Audi's or VW Golfs (but Lexus is a far superior car than any or those.....except the corroding) Surely Lexus have an obligation to sort this problem out even if it is past it's warranty period (does it not come under the corrosion warranty)

Please any suggestions would be welcome?

OK Guys

Here I am again and the same problem has happened.......the nigglely problem of the Alloys bubbling up and corroding. Yes these are the ones that were replaced.....but it has happened again. The only problem now is that the 3 years warranty is up. Does anyone know how I can contact Lexus direct either by phone or Email to explain about this problem that has been recurring. As I have said many times before I am happy with my Lexus except this problem of the corroding Alloys.......................I never had a problem like this with my previous Audi's or VW Golfs (but Lexus is a far superior car than any or those.....except the corroding) Surely Lexus have an obligation to sort this problem out even if it is past it's warranty period (does it not come under the corrosion warranty)

Please any suggestions would be welcome?

Sorry to have to tell you that it's a known problem with Toyota wheels that has been around forever, and they appear to be unwilling to do anything about it. 'Lexus' also say that the problem is only experienced in the UK, which I find hard to believe.

The OEM alloys on my IS200 Sport were replaced under warranty and have since been refurbished outside of warranty, my IS250 OEM alloys were just showing signs of corrosion after one year from new when I replaced them with a set of Volks, and my IS-F has had a new set of alloys under warranty (at a reputed cost of (£5K) after just under two years. What I really do not understand is that the IS-F alloys are manufactured by the German Company, BBS, but I've no doubt the coating is to a Toyota specification :angry: . I am religiously cleaning my new alloys on a weekly basis and applying a coat of Poorboys wheel sealant/wax every 1-2 months. Whether this will prevent the alloys corroding, only time will tell, but I'm not hoding my breath :lol:

Tango

Thanks for your reply.....so it appears that this problem has been going on for a very long time. Do you have a Phone No or an Email that I can contact them about this problem because I think they have an obligation to sort it out (even if it is out of warranty).....it's just not good enough for a Prestige Car to have this problem. I was told by the Garage the last time this happened that Lexus knew of the problem and that it only appeared on UK spec cars but they had addressed and had put a higher spec on the new wheels (a thicker coat of lacquer)...........well you know what Lexus......it didn't work and I'm not a bit happy.

Tango I could go down the route you took and buy my own set of alloys but the question is "why should I"? ......why should I be out the expense because a problem that Lexus have. The Garage also said that if the problem did arise again out of warranty "I'm sure Lexus will sort it out for you with no expense to you"......Well Lexus lets see if this is the case????.............but I do need to contact them to let them know of the problem...........so can anyone help with their contact details?

:angry:

Tango

Thanks for your reply.....so it appears that this problem has been going on for a very long time. Do you have a Phone No or an Email that I can contact them about this problem because I think they have an obligation to sort it out (even if it is out of warranty).....it's just not good enough for a Prestige Car to have this problem. I was told by the Garage the last time this happened that Lexus knew of the problem and that it only appeared on UK spec cars but they had addressed and had put a higher spec on the new wheels (a thicker coat of lacquer)...........well you know what Lexus......it didn't work and I'm not a bit happy.

Tango I could go down the route you took and buy my own set of alloys but the question is "why should I"? ......why should I be out the expense because a problem that Lexus have. The Garage also said that if the problem did arise again out of warranty "I'm sure Lexus will sort it out for you with no expense to you"......Well Lexus lets see if this is the case????.............but I do need to contact them to let them know of the problem...........so can anyone help with their contact details?

:angry:

From the posts on here in the past you get a better response from the Dealership you purchased the car from. However, they do appear to vary and I've heard stories that the replacements are now a set of refurbished wheels than a new set. When I mentioned my original set on my IS250 had suffered minor corrosion and could I get them changed as my car is under extended warranty, my local Dealership (who I've found to be exceptionally good) said yes they would change them IF I brought the car in with the wheels on. Unfortunately to do that would require me to change out the IS350 calipers and discs as the 17" OEM wheels do not fit over them :duh:.

You could try mailing Lexus GB, but I think it would be a waste of effort as we just do not have the volume in the UK to persuade Lexus to do anything about it. As an example the IS250 has always generated excessive brake dust, and this contributes to the corrosion issue as well as being a pita. This was a common problem in the USA on both the IS350 and IS250 and owners over there complained as we did here in the UK. Guess what? In the USA Lexus issued a Technical Service Information Bulletin (TSIB) and made available alternative sets of ceramic based brake pads for both the IS250 and IS350 that were relatively dust free...but only in the USA :angry:. I know they are the solution to the issue, as I bought the OEM alternative pads for both the IS250 and IS350 when I was in the US. The part numbers and TSIB are allegedly not known to the UK Dealerships (I supplied the part numbers for the IS250 alternate pads to Lexus Cheltenham, but they said they were not available to the UK).

If Lexus are not willing to fix a problem in the UK that they already have a solution for, then I am fairly certain what they see as a 'UK only' problem will not even warrant their consideration.