Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Love My Lexus Is 250 But............

kerrso05

hi

glad to hear you got sorted. i agree that lexus service is 2nd to none. with regards to alloy wheel wax, i use turtle wax nano wheel wax (green bottle) and find it works extremely well at keeping brake dust to a minimum and protecting the wheels. it is also very easy to apply and is stocked by Halfords.

i bought my 250 second hand and the dealer had the wheels refurbed before i took delivery, but i ended up having them done again by my local guy who did a much better job. i am sure if you keep the wheels well cleaned and do it at least once a week you will be fine. i used to have a company car, the same as several colleagues but i cleaned my car thoroughly at least once a week which they never did and never had wheel problems whereas the others did (golfs and passats and A4s)

with regards to consumption, if you only do town driving then 28 is about right. i do a mixture of town and motorway and get around 35mpg on average, but it drops to 27/28 around town only.

hope that helps

LexusForever.......I don't mean to be nasty but what posting of mine have you read ......you say "glad to hear you got sorted".....what is Sorted?

I'm confused :blink:

maybe you have read some other thread. I have nothing sorted. My Alloy Wheels are once again corroding. I have had two sets of new alloys replaced since new. This third set have started pitting/bubbling.

Thanks to Tango I contacted Lexus GB by phone and they have asked me to contact Lexus Belfast, which I have done.....but they haven't returned my call. So nothing is sorted. Also Lexus haven't admitted to this problem in their alloys. So here I am out of Warranty and my alloys are corroding!!!

The last time they replaced the alloys I asked Lexus Belfast "What would happen if the alloys started corroding outside the Warranty Period" and they said "I'm sure Lexus will sort it out at no expense to you"........we will wait and see

PS I forgot to tell you that I had previously contacted Lexus GB via their Web Site four times about this problem and I never ever got a reply

Tango

So far, no communication from Lexus Belfast yet being promised that they would contact me yesterday.....I'll just have to wait

Don't let them off the hook :shifty: I've decided to swop my front calipers and discs over and put winter tyres on my IS250 SE-L OEM wheels for the winter, so I will eventually get the rims changed under warranty. The IS-F can stay tucked up in the garage unless it's a particularly fine winters day :winky:.

I recently bought a 4 year old IS220 Sport from a Lexus dealer (haven't picked it up yet though) and when I was examining the car I noticed that the alloys were bubbling and corroding quite badly. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it to them except that I'd also seen a newer Sport the same morning and the dealer (independent non-Lexus) had mentioned that new alloys were fitted because the old ones had corroded and were replaced under warranty.

So I asked the Lexus dealer about this and was told that, even though this car would have an extended warranty, the warranty for alloys was only for the 1st 3 years. Is this not true then? Should Lexus replace them even under an extended warranty? I didn't question it at the time as they told me that they would refurbish them before I picked it up. But if I'm entitled to new ones I'd rather have them than a set of refurbs.

Thanks guys for your views. My feeling is that while a car is in Warranty then it is the responsibility of the Manufacturer to fix any faults that occur with that car, whether that is mechanical or structural or cosmetic. You wouldn't buy a new car if it had bumps or scratches on it and if you did you would expect the price of that car to be much reduced. I didn't buy my Lexus with bubbling or corroding of its alloys, so I didn't expect any reduction in the price, so why should anyone put up with this happening in a prestige car that has a technical design fault. Lexus know this is a fault......you just have to look at the numbers of threads in this Forum about the problem of Corroding alloys and I'm sure Lexus know themselves that there is a problem. It's just not acceptable and I for one wont be letting this drop (thanks Tango for your support)

Also not replying to my Phone Call.....doesn't go down well, certainly not in my books. They were happy enough in taking my money off me when I was paying for a Service but now that the car is out of warranty it appears I'm going to be forgotten about.......I REALLY don't like that attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my Lexus, in fact I would say, it is the best car that I have ever driven (and that is after driving many forms of Audi's and Volkswagens over the years)but I don't like this attitude of your out of Warranty so we don't care about your car....well that's what it appears to me when they don't return my call.

I know people have said on here that other car Manufacturers have this problem of corroding alloys, well I have never ever seen it and as I have said I have had Audi's and Volkswagens and my friends have driven Saab's and BMW's and Mercedes.....my father-in-law drives a four year old Citroen and his alloys aren't rusting.....so I just don't accept that argument.

Surely Toyota and Lexus need to regain their driver ownership loyalty back after the brakes fiasco .....what does it take to get this Corroding alloys sorted out?

from a very unhappy Lexus owner :angry:

I recently bought a 4 year old IS220 Sport from a Lexus dealer (haven't picked it up yet though) and when I was examining the car I noticed that the alloys were bubbling and corroding quite badly. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it to them except that I'd also seen a newer Sport the same morning and the dealer (independent non-Lexus) had mentioned that new alloys were fitted because the old ones had corroded and were replaced under warranty.

So I asked the Lexus dealer about this and was told that, even though this car would have an extended warranty, the warranty for alloys was only for the 1st 3 years. Is this not true then? Should Lexus replace them even under an extended warranty? I didn't question it at the time as they told me that they would refurbish them before I picked it up. But if I'm entitled to new ones I'd rather have them than a set of refurbs.

The original warranty for a new car is three years, but I have purchased the Lexus extended warranty so expect my rims to be covered. If you have new rims fitted under warranty I would expect Lexus to guarantee the new or refurbished wheels. My understanding was that this was for three years, which in practise is bodering on the time when they'd need changing again. Several people on this forum have had two sets of replacements on their first genearation IS's.

Hi Guys

Interesting post.

I have been using rim wax on my car for a few months now and nothing sticks to them. Even after a week of hard driving I just wipe them over with a cloth.

Lexus wheels should not be doing this! If Lexus are replacing the wheels im sure that they have resolved the issue.

Great Looking Car!

www.discount-tooling.co.uk

The original warranty for a new car is three years, but I have purchased the Lexus extended warranty so expect my rims to be covered. If you have new rims fitted under warranty I would expect Lexus to guarantee the new or refurbished wheels. My understanding was that this was for three years, which in practise is bodering on the time when they'd need changing again. Several people on this forum have had two sets of replacements on their first genearation IS's.

So you're saying that you would EXPECT it to be covered under the extended warranty but you don't know for sure?

So you're saying that you would EXPECT it to be covered under the extended warranty but you don't know for sure?

Well I am now. According to the extended warranty it doesn't cover paintwork and bodywork, Interior trim, and road wheels (as well as the more obvious ones like servicable items, glass replacement etc.). So if you haven't had the road wheels changed under the original new car 3 year warranty like me (because I changed the wheels for non OEM within the original warranty period) then you're out of luck. However, if you have had them changed I really would expect Lexus to guarantee them for another 3 years.

Tango

I totally agree.......surely if the alloys have been replaced with Brand New Ones (which mine were) then surely they should have a guarantee on them, if not three years then surely 1 yr......mine have only lasted less than one year. One thing I have learnt from this discussion is that it is the brake dust that harms the alloys.....I really didn't know that. Mine you, I don't keep the brake dust on my car for long periods because I usually clean and wash the car once a week.

The latest on Lexus Belfast is that they still haven't contacted me......they must be very very busy. I think I might take up the offer of Lexus GB in helping me if I didn't get a favourable response from my local dealer.....well, do you think no response comes under that term of reference?........I think it just might!!!! Vin (from Lexus GB)if you are reading this, you might be getting a phone call very soon.

Can this Forum not bring influence to bare on Lexus GB to have another look at technical policy on Alloy wheels......if we the buying public can't bring about change within Lexus, what can? I'm sure it's not stupid costly surveys or "Ask a Question" Forms (which they have never replied too even though I asked them 4 times to reply)

Well I am now. According to the extended warranty it doesn't cover paintwork and bodywork, Interior trim, and road wheels (as well as the more obvious ones like servicable items, glass replacement etc.). So if you haven't had the road wheels changed under the original new car 3 year warranty like me (because I changed the wheels for non OEM within the original warranty period) then you're out of luck. However, if you have had them changed I really would expect Lexus to guarantee them for another 3 years.

OK, that makes sense. Since the car is 4 years old and I don't know whether the wheels were changed within the 1st 3 years or not it might be difficult for me to argue for a new set. I'll see how the refurbs hold up.

i replied to the post that ended with the following:

'PS. the car looks like new (with the new Alloys) and no sign of a rattle. Thanks Lexus Belfast......I still LOVE my Lexus '

thanks

LexusForever.......I don't mean to be nasty but what posting of mine have you read ......you say "glad to hear you got sorted".....what is Sorted?

I'm confused :blink:

maybe you have read some other thread. I have nothing sorted. My Alloy Wheels are once again corroding. I have had two sets of new alloys replaced since new. This third set have started pitting/bubbling.

Thanks to Tango I contacted Lexus GB by phone and they have asked me to contact Lexus Belfast, which I have done.....but they haven't returned my call. So nothing is sorted. Also Lexus haven't admitted to this problem in their Alloys. So here I am out of Warranty and my Alloys are corroding!!!

The last time they replaced the Alloys I asked Lexus Belfast "What would happen if the Alloys started corroding outside the Warranty Period" and they said "I'm sure Lexus will sort it out at no expense to you"........we will wait and see

PS I forgot to tell you that I had previously contacted Lexus GB via their Web Site four times about this problem and I never ever got a reply

LexusForever

That message was dated the 8th April 2008....nearly 2 and half years have moved on and guess what I have, the same problem.....corroding Alloy Wheels, except this is the second batch of alloys since I wrote in 2008. Whatever way you look at it, it isn't good and as I have said many times "it's not what you expect from a Prestige Car Manufacturer"

I still haven't had a call back from Lexus Belfast when I phoned them on Tuesday giving all my details, name and address, registration, phone No and the problem. I even asked to speak to the Manager at the time of phoning but the receptionist said I would be better to talk to the Girl called ***** in the Service Section first. It's looking more and more like I will have to call Lexus GB and see what they think of this customer service.

Not A Happy Bunny :angry:

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

Things are not good....with the alloys, I mean.

Just to update you on my long running saga of rusting alloys, I had to contact Lexus Direct (which is a call Centre).....they couldn't deal with the problem and eventually put me in touch with Lexus Customer Service, who said that they couldn't deal with the problem as it should be dealt with by the a Registered Dealer...in my case, Lexus Belfast. Eventually I did get through to Lexus Belfast who asked me to bring the car to them so that they could take photos of the three alloys which were showing signs of Pitting. They duly took photographs and wrote a report to Lexus UK (on my behalf) A couple of weeks later Lexus Belfast contacted me to say "would I kindly bring the car to them again so that they could take more photographs because Lexus UK needed more proof that this was three separate wheels and not just one wheel whose photograph had been taken three times".....(Yes I couldn't believe that excuse either....if Lexus UK can't believe their own Dealer who can they believe!!!)

Anyway, I did what they asked and brought the car to them (a round trip of 30 miles)and they took more photographs and a couple of weeks later Lexus UK made their decision. It was that they couldn't justify putting any more alloys on the car because they had already put 6 alloys on it and it was now just out of it's warranty.

I'm not a bit pleased with this decision. If there is a fault with the alloys (and there is) then they need to own up to it. Since this decision the alloys have got much worse with one wheel loosing about an inch of lacquer and rust is setting in and more bubbling has occurred......This wheel didn't even last a full year before this happened.

Great Car, Terrible wheels, Great Looking car, poor customer care after the three year warranty is up. This experience has left me extremely annoyed and very unhappy.

Would I buy another Lexus?.......I don't know......Lexus need to sort out the rusting alloys first before I would look at it again.

What do you think I should do with the wheels? .....should I get them refurbished? .......would that work?....... or buy a new set of alloys.....any recommendations of what to buy?

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I have a Lexus IS250 that i purchased new in 2006.  I complained about the alloy wheels on the car as they started to bubble after about four years.  They refused to do anything about it even though I had noticed a lot of people complaining about the problem on the net.  It is a great car but such a shame that it isn't treated as a recall and the wheels replaced. The other manufacture defect seems to be the that the wiper blade lower arm also bubbles and the paint flakes off.  Keep an eye out for that!

Pleased to hear that they dealt with your complaint but as i said such a shame it is only the lucky few.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links