Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trouble Starting

Not sure if anyone could shen any light, but the last couple of morningswhen i come to start the car its taken about 3/4 attemps of turning the key to get it started.

The spark plugs were changed last Friday evening, and a new Battery from the dealership was put in Sept/Oct last year. Im not mechanically minded so havent a clue what it could be.

When i turn the key itslike its trying to start but wont then after a couple more attemps it does. Can anyone help as to a possible cause and solution before i take it to the garage?

The last time i couldn't start my car i had to call RAC cos i flooded it. I made the misatke of starting my car from cold...drive it about 4 seconds and switched off cos i had to get the spokes away from my caliper so i can clean them up lol. But in ur case i doubt if it's that. And im still getting the once/twice a month it takes 3 turns to start business.. Problem like urs could take a while to sort out. Could be many a things, fuel, electrics, mechanical, something blocking fuel supply etc, maybe even try better earthing out, like sparky has in his car. Does it drive like normal once it starts (revs should be about 1000 rpm at cold and around 800rpm once its warmed up, whish i had one of those readers connected to my car)? was it ok before you changed the plugs?

Is it turning over ok ? thinking Battery , maybe the coil packs or at least one of them ? Try starting it when its dark and see if you have any sparks getting out of the leads ! other than the usual it'll need diagnostics . Try getting it running and put a fuel cleaner in with the fueland give it a blast up a M-Way .

hope this helps.

Regards

Paul.

I've had this issue for about 3 months now. I've changed the Battery, air filter, cleaned the inlet manifold, changed the plugs and checked the HT leads.

Only occurs a few times a week... turn the key and the engine just turns over - Stop. Try it again and 9/10 she'll fire up straight away.

checked the HT leads.

IS200 doesn't have HT leads

LOL Well as you can tell the machanical side of cars isn't my speciality :blink: ... bodywork is more up my street B) .

Anyhoo whatever the leads are that connect the spark plugs to the coil pack (Correct me if i'm wrong)... i checked them to see if they were sparking anywhere they shouldn't be.

I've found that its not just a cold start issue as it can occur when the engine is at optimal temp.

haha fair enough! ok try this as it works for a lot of people - put the key to ON ( so u get all dash lights) fully depress the go faster pedal and then release it, NOW try start the car.

Rob, forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't the IS have an electronic throttle. Its cable from go faster pedal to the servo in the engine bay but then its electronic. I was under the impression that unless the car is running depressing the wouldn't make any difference to the priming of the fuel system.

I'm sure what you have suggested was mentioned before in a topic re: the same issue. I tried it out but doesn't make a difference. If she wants to start first time she does. If not she makes me wait...female prerogative I guess lol

yes the cable goes to a servo on the throttle body but they are linked so if you press the pedal the butterfly valve still moves.

as you have checked the obvious things such as spark plugs, airfilter i can only assume its a fuelling issue

Interesting you suggested steam cleaning the engine... was on my list of things to do this week. Is there anything i should be aware of in the engine bay that is sensitive to a good clean? And are there any know spots that i should make sure i get... i.e should i remove the airbox or anything else to get better access.

In regards to the vacum hoses what should i be lloking aout for?

Thanks in advance

i may be wrong but i think it was more an "have u steam cleaned or jet washed the engine?" because that may have caused the problem, along the lines of water getting into bits it shouldnt!

I have had this problem before but mostly in winter early in the morning or when pouring with rain, but it hasnt happened since i put Denso IK20s in. But then you have checked the spark plugs......

i may be wrong but i think it was more an "have u steam cleaned or jet washed the engine?" because that may have caused the problem, along the lines of water getting into bits it shouldnt!

I have had this problem before but mostly in winter early in the morning or when pouring with rain, but it hasnt happened since i put Denso IK20s in. But then you have checked the spark plugs......

The plugs are fine. I only changed em a month ago. There is no water buildup anywhere i the engine bay i can see that would be affecting the idle.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does this from time to time. I find if I hold the ignition on after about 4 seconds it will fire up. Not a problem but I don't like people thinking my car won't start lol! I'm gonna get Lexus to look at it in a few weeks whilst it's still under warranty.

Mine, has started doing this recently - I find it only does it every now and then and it will alway start up on the second attempt. Car has just been serviced and never been steamed clean, so I guess its just a common problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links